- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

After their events together, Kelly continues talking to Jake on the eve of her 2 year anniversary with Kevin. Written from Kelly's point of view 

It had been about 3 weeks since everything went down with my friend Jake. It's still hard to believe any of this had really happened. Nobody would believe this story even if I had documented it.

I groan as my brush gets stuck in my hair. "Not again" I moan, pulling the brush through my seemingly perpetually tangled dark hair. I set the brush aside, watching a few strands of my hair flail around with it. I glance around my room for a brief moment, letting myself space out, until I'm suddenly snapped out of it by the familiar sound of my phone receiving a text message. I curiously reach for the phone when I hear my dad speak out.

"Hey Kelly... Kevin's here" he says. I slide the phone off my dresser and put it into my pocket. I hurry downstairs to see my boyfriend awaiting me. He throws his arms around me and gives me a soft kiss on the cheek.

"Hey, thought I'd pop in" Kevin said, "your hair looks fantastic by the way"

"Oh stop" I chuckled, giving him a brief kiss back. The truth was, I knew he was just being nice.

"So, you all ready for school?" Kevin asked. I gave him a sort of half-assed stare back.

I mean, I was looking forward to getting back but I couldn't believe he wasn't talking about what was really important. Our 2 year anniversary together -- well, if you count all the times we were broken up and back together. I had actually known him closer to 4 years. Still, usually this was Kevin's thing, remembering dates and I certainly wasn't going to remind him unless he really was clueless.

"Yeah, I mean... sure" I said, giving him a half smile now. "But um... Kev?"

He gave me a questioning look, almost seeming half engaged in our conversation.

"You um... wanna go out tonight?" I asked, smiling. He had to remember. He just had to.

"Tonight? Oh geez, I'd love to but I'm actually supposed to help my sister move into her dorm" Kevin groaned.

"What? Really?" I asked, my arms loosening up around him as I got a better look at his eyes. Something didn't seem right. "She doesn't move in until Tuesday, Kevin. It's only Friday"

"I know, but she's been on me for a while now and the last time, she had a friend of hers help so I promised her I would do it this time" Kevin said, "I can see you tomorrow though, probably in the evening"

I gave him a vacant stare back. I was half tempted to just drop it and let it go but I felt a bit of anger bubble up inside me.

"Besides..." Kevin mumbled, letting my grip on him go limp as he paced a few steps away, "...maybe now you can go catch up with your friend Jake..."

"Is THAT what this is about?" I gasped, walking back up to him in a hurry. My dad shot me a confused look and I tried to minimize the damage so I wouldn't be "making a scene". I walked him outside onto the patio and softly closed the door behind us. "Kevin... talk to me, what's going on?"

"Nothing's going on!" Kevin snapped, seeming irritated. I hated when he got like this. "It's just you're always wanting to hang out with him and it's just kind of... weird, I guess"

"Always wanting to hang out?" I asked, half surprised at Kevin's remarks. I guess I shouldn't have been, "He practically saved my life, Kevin! I'd like to see him but it's not a burning desire that I HAVE TO DO... I haven't even seen him once since everything happened and he's back to normal and I'd like to see how he's doing, that's all... but you're still my boyfriend..."

Kevin groaned, cutting me off. He was about to speak but I decided this time I would be the one to interuppt.

"No, let me finish" I snapped, "Kevin we've been together for almost 2 years... in fact, pretty much exactly 2 years... and I'm not going to be disloyal to you now... not after how much love you showed me once I finally came back from everything... I wish you would realize that..."

"I know... I know..." Kevin said, turning away from me again. He let out a loud, long sigh, "I wish you'd understand that it makes me a LITTLE insecure to think you're still talking to this guy"

"I'm not talking to him... he talks to me..." I replied. "I'm not going to ignore him..."

"He knows you have a boyfriend, though!" Kevin replied.

"He knows that and he's not hitting on me... he's just..." I sighed, getting upset. This was turning into a disaster. "...look, I don't want to argue about it... if it really means that much to you, I'll tell him to stop, okay?"

"No, don't worry about it" Kevin sighed, "besides, I was half serious... go see Jake... I'm going to be busy most of the day with my sister anyway... I'm probably not getting home until 9... no need for both of us to stay in"

"9 o clock? You want to do something after, maybe?" I asked.

"I'm going to be wiped, Kel... I don't think I'd be much fun" Kevin sighed, seeming deflated.

"Just think about it, okay?" I smiled, giving him a long kiss. "I could make it worth your while..."

He smiled, but it didn't last as long as usual. He gave me a kiss back, but something still didn't feel right. I hated those knots I felt forming in my stomach. This couldn't be happening, not again... I could feel real tension in our relationship for the first time since we got back together. I'm sure we could overcome it though.

"I'll see you later, Kelly..." Kevin sighed, "I just wanted to see how things were... tell Jake I say hi"

"I'm not seeing Jake!" I exclaimed as he faded off into the distance. I thrust my arms to the side in frustration and walked back inside. My dad and little Katie were in the kitchen talking. Almost immediately, my dad came to my side.

"Kelly, is everything okay?" my dad asked. Katie came into the picture shortly thereafter, all too eager to chime in.

"Kelly and Kevin were just outside kissing...." she laughed, "K-I-S-S-..."

"Not quite" I smiled, patting Katie on the head and then addressing my dad, "but yes... everything's fine"

"You're sure..." my dad asked. "The last few times you've seen him, you haven't seemed as happy... if there's something wrong..."

"Nothing's wrong" I smiled, feeling uncomfortable in the situation. I ate a quick breakfast with them and headed back upstairs, alone with my thoughts.

Okay, so not completely alone.

I had opened my phone and read a fairly lengthy message from Jake. Talk about bad timing...

"Hey Kelly, it's Jake. I know it's been a while and you don't seem very interested (I guess I can understand) but I'd love to hang out with you sometime, when you're free of course. I've got a lot of things on my mind and while it's not really a HUGE deal (seeing as what we went through already), I could use somebody to talk to that kind of gets me."

I wasn't sure how to feel about that message. There was something about Jake that I "got". When he was happy, sad, upset, I understood why and I wasn't always the best to help, but that didn't seem to stop him from wanting my help nonetheless. I know he had been conflicted in the past couple of weeks about getting back together with Kendra. I wasn't really sure what to say to that, though. In my heart of hearts, I got an impression from Kendra that she wasn't right for him, but I also had no place intervening on his affairs like that. We were friends, really... more like acquantances, but I had only met him a short time ago.

Kevin said it was okay for me to talk to him but I felt wrong doing so. Still, I typed back.

"Jake, I'd love to talk to you sometime but I actually think it's best if we slowed down the talks of us hanging out. It's not that I don't want to, but it's getting Kevin angry and I think we should just stay 'pen pals' for now. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, Jake. I will always be here to listen and to help you out with what you need."

After I sent the message, I got second thoughts almost immediately. Now laying on my bed, staring at the ceiling, I tried desperately not to picture Jake's reaction while he read it, but it was on my mind in a strong way. He was probably upset... he was probably not going to text me for a while and I didn't blame him... maybe it was for the best though. Even with our issues, I wasn't willing to throw Kevin and my relationship aside for Jake.

In a short time, he responded back.

"Okay, Kelly, no problem," the text said, "I was actually just going to tell you, I'm probably going to ask Kendra out tonight. I think we're going to be a couple again and I wanted to know what you thought. Am I doing the right thing? I'm sorry if I somehow screwed up things with you and Kevin"

I almost wanted to cry reading his message. He was so non-chalant about the whole thing but I guess I should be pleasantly surprised because I hadn't hurt him too much, if at all. I don't know how I felt about him jumping into things with Kendra though. I began to get sick thinking about all of this... what if his relationship with Kendra worked out amazing and my relationship with Kevin went down in the tubes?? Then I'd have nobody and have noone to blame but myself.

I couldn't think like that though. I quickly pulled myself from my pit of despair and typed back a sincere message to my friend, Jake.

"Jake, I want you to do whatever makes you happy." I said in my message, "I wish you the best with Kendra... tonight's my 2 year anniversary with Kevin and we're going to get together to celebrate. You're a really sweet guy and I'm sure that even if things don't work out with her, that you'll find someone soon. Thanks again for everything"

This had been about the 2,000th time I thanked Jake, but I honestly couldn't do it enough. He had really given me a second lease on life... and what was I doing with it? Moping around in my room being miserable? Here I was, starting school next week, on the verge of seeing my old friends again and being happy and celebrating 2 years with Kevin and I was questioning everything and feeling like crying... why?

I sent Kevin a text message.

"What time did you say you were going to be back? 9 pm?" I asked.

Shortly after, he answered me "Yes, somewhere around then, why?"

I closed my phone without answering. I didn't want to be a liar to Jake. I was going to make my own excitement, or rather some excitement for Kevin. I perused around my closet and saw it. I pulled it out and walked into the bathroom.

Later that night, I decided it was time to set my plan in motion. Kevin and I were going to celebrate this anniversary, but it would be me planning the surprise this time. Wearing only my favorite tight pink nightie (disguised by a trenchcoat), I drove down towards Kevin's apartment. This was something I would NEVER do usually but I decided to be spontaneous. That's what Kevin had always wanted... more spontaneity.

Really, 9 pm wasn't that late, I thought to myself.

"Once Kevin sees me in this..." I thought devilishly, "I doubt he'll care what time it is..."

I got out of my car in a hurry and walked to the front entrance, a chilling breeze blowing through my trenchcoat and tickling my legs as I scampered inside. I felt so naughty for doing this but I didn't care, it was honestly fun. I couldn't wait to see the look on Kevin's face when he saw me on his bed waiting for him. My happiness couldn't be contained as I searched through my pocket for the bulky room key.

I inserted the key into the lock and stepped inside. Good, he wasn't back yet. I closed the door behind me and locked it. I turned on the light and made my way towards the twin sized bed towards the back of the room. Kevin's room was nothing special -- in fact it was quite a bit smaller than the apartment my friend Jess had. But I always admired him having his own place and making the most of his paychecks.

I looked over at the digital alarm clock on Kevin's desk.

"9:02 PM"

I felt overwhelming excitement overcome me as I thought about Kevin walking in. I never did anything like this ; he was going to be so surprised. I sat down on the bed, debating whether or not to take off my high heels. I figured I'd leave them on. Kevin could always get them off for me later. As the moments passed, I did ponder Jake and his situation with Kendra. I wish I had more advice for him but I didn't want to interfere any further. I needed to focus on Kevin and I and having fun with him before college.

I was terribly impatient, I thought to myself, becoming ever more familiar with the inner voice in my head as I waited. This voice had all sorts of things to say. Part of me even regretted this decision. I didn't think Kevin would be mad but I didn't want to make things awkward. On the other hand, we had just had a small fight and this may smooth it over... but then was I telling him that it's okay for us to get into a fight because I'll just throw myself onto my bed for him? That wasn't the right message either.... oh I wish I could focus instead of thinking about all of this...

It was about 9:15 now and still no Kevin. I had grown bored of gazing around the small room. I guess it was kind of a small room. As my eyes wandered, I stopped on something curious. A small bottle of perfume... it was an unusually shaped bottle with a great deal of gold fragrance left in it. As I examined the bottle, watching my confused reflection in the glass, I thought to myself how odd it was to see it. Kevin didn't have perfume... and I didn't have this particular kind.

Then it dawned on me!

Kevin did remember! He got me this perfume as a gift, most obviously. He was so sweet... he was probably going to give it to me tomorrow but little did he know, I had it in my possession right now. I shrugged as I looked around and noticed that I was still alone in the room.

"A little bit won't hurt" I whisper and sprayed a couple of widespread bursts on myself, soaking in the fragrance. It was a sweet sort of aroma that did have a hint of sexiness to it. I set the bottle back down on the dresser and stood up, stretching out and walking through the cloud of perfume now to fully soak in its scent.

I looked down at my phone in my trenchcoat pocket. Still nothing from Kevin.

"Damn it" I muttered, "what is taking you so long?"

I stomped my foot on the ground but as soon as I did, I got an odd tingling down my spine. It was like somebody was massaging me but nobody was in the room. This tingling made it's way up and down every square inch of my body. My back arched a bit and I felt like laying down but I felt so woozy, it literally felt like a monumental effort just to move a few feet.

"Wh-What's happening to me...?" I stuttered, feeling deathly afraid. I was hoping I had just come down with something but it was so much worse than that. I looked down at my hands in shock... they were getting smaller! I was shrinking! My breathing sped up as I paced around the room. How much time did I have? How small would I become? "No! Please! Help me!"

Even my loudest screams became absorbed by this room as I shrank... my voice shrinking along with me. Luckily the trenchcoat and nightie shrunk with me but pretty soon I was less than the size of a doll. How could this have happened?

I let out a soft shriek which I covered my mouth for. This couldn't be happening... this couldn't be happening... I just wanted to faint at the size of the furniture and the bed in the room. What was I going to do? I had to wait for Kevin now... hopefully get his attention and have him help me get back to normal.

Then I heard a sound. The door slam. Finally, a way to be saved, I thought.

"C'mon in..." I heard him say.

I heard another voice with him. A girl. It sure didn't sound like his sister but I had only met her once. Well, this was going to be a whole cup of awkward to explain. At this point I didn't care if his sister did see me, I just needed help and I needed it now.

"KEVIN!" I shrieked, tears falling from my eye as I tried to belt out as loud as I could. His thunderous footsteps grew louder but so did somebody else's. "KEVIN!! PLEASE HELP--"

I stopped dead in my tracks. Oh no. Please no.

The girl with him wasn't his sister. It was some red haired girl I had never seen before, but I could only guess what she was doing with him. She had his hand lightly held in hers. They crossed the threshold and headed towards the bed.

"So what now?" the girl asked, taking his hand as he sat up on the bed and sat her next to him.

My anxiety shortly turned into a broken heart. I couldn't believe what I was seeing! Neither of them even knew I was there... and at this point, I really didn't want to get their attention. I also couldn't really do anything at this size.. I still needed help. I scampered under Kevin's bed, not wanting to see anything that was going on. It was almost completely dark under there but I could still perceive their body's and shifting weight as it seemed they were laying down.

"Kevin... no..." I whimpered, the tears burning from my eyes. I didn't even feel like I was crying anymore.It felt like my eyes were going to just bleed out of their sockets. I truly didn't want to live. Even worse, I could hear the creeking of Kevin's bed as he laid on top of that slutty girl. Oh my gosh... what had I done?? I wept bitterly into the floor. I didn't want to live... I also didn't want Kevin to get the satisfaction of knowing he could do this to me. I was tempted to text him, even if he wouldn't get it and let him know that I knew.

But I didn't do that.

Instead I dialed a different number as I wept, choking back tears as I tried to talk.

"JAKE!" I wept, "I need you! Please help me... for the love of God help me!"

I felt so pathetic...
Chapter End Notes:

Just so you know, my next chapter will feature many of the events from this chapter but from Jake's point of view. I debated how to handle that but it's very important to get Jake's insight to this. I hope you all enjoy the latest plot twist and thanks for reading! 

I look forward to your reviews and comments!