- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

As the title hints, this chapter focuses heavily on Lillian and is from her point of view. Enjoy! 

As I entered the eerily silent elevator door, I felt a lot of anxiety bubbling within me. I took several deep breaths as the door slid shut, keeping Jake and I concealed as I nervously hit the button for the 4th floor, which is where I was pretty sure Jess lived.

The elevator seemed to take an eternity to lift us up the levels towards her apartment and I started to wonder why I was even feeling anxious at all. I wasn't the one who was 5 inches tall. That fate had now befallen poor Jake in my pocket and even though he said he cared for me and supported me, I wondered how much of that would change once some more information came to the forefront. For one thing, the mention of my real name was something that would surely make him skittish. Heh skittish... like a little cat almost.

Geez, what was I thinking? Since Jake had been shrunk, I will admit I started looking at him different. I know it was wrong but I almost envisioned myself doing to him the same things I feared my captors would do to me if they had found me small.... but why? Ugh, I was a monster but I had to control myself. I'd never hurt Jake, nor do anything to him that he didn't approve of.

If I hadn't been so self aware, I'd have started pacing in that elevator I was so nervous. I'd often pace in my alone time but since I had been re-enlarged, I felt almost a sense of panic that I wasn't used to. I felt even more "out in the open" if that makes sense and like everyone was staring at me, whereas before I was easier to hide.

Was I actually missing being small? Not really, I chuckled to myself as the elevator door finally slid open and I nervously made my way down the dimly lit hallway. Again, I had an awkward eye contact moment with a gentleman as he made his way down the hall. I didn't know him, nor did he know me, but it was just one of those things as I casually drifted by. He glanced my way for a second and held his glance, although I think he only did so because I glanced at him. Regardless, I felt that familiar sense of "Why me?" go through my veins as I rounded a couple familiar corners and reached the door with the peeling paint and the "418" painted on its rusted looking knocker.

This was definitely the place, I thought to myself as I took a deep breath and banged lightly on the mahogany door. That didn't mean Jess lived here now but I was still fairly certain she did. There was a brief moment of dread when the doorknob started to turn but it didn't last long as the familiar voice wafted out towards me. I wanted to cry with joy, it was so nice to see her again.

"Jess!" I exclaimed, a wide smile opening up on my face, to match hers. She threw herself against me briefly and then held on tight with one of her overbearing hugs. I, of course, found myself hoping she didn't feel anything... human like, in my sweatshirt pocket. She pulled back, and I was relieved to see her, the same old girl I had grown up knowing, her hair still that crazy auburn blended with streaks of blonde and rarely combed right but I didn't care.

"Kelly!" she said, boisterous at first but then quieting her voice down until she had pulled me into her apartment. As I gazed around, I was instantly filled with memories of the times I had been here before. "My gosh! Kelly, you're really here! I'm so relieved, you don't even know!"

I just smiled, feeling out of breath for some reason. Just watching her get so excited was tiring me out for some reason, I chuckled to myself, walking with her to the small kitchen where we had tried (and failed) to make many a meal together, especially in her early days of living there.

"H-How long ... was I missing?" I finally grew the courage to ask.

"Oh god, I don't know... it has to have been at least 6 months now..." Jess said, thinking for a moment before she confirmed my approximate guess. "Your dad called me the first few nights after it happened, thinking maybe you were mad at him and came here to hide out"

I blushed with guilt. I had been known to "run away from home" from time to time but I had stopped doing that when I was 16. I'd think my dad would know better... but then again...

"I tried calling you, of course" Jess said, "but your phone never answered, and we all feared the worst"

"Who's we all?" I asked curiously.

"Well, Kevin was actually the main one who was always calling about you, wondering where you are... besides the police, he was the most active when it came to actually looking for you" Jess explained.

Kevin? My ex boyfriend? Maybe still boyfriend? Aye...

"Wait, wait what? Kevin?" I asked, still taken aback by my friends' statement

"Yeah... well hey, c'mon, have a seat, please" Jess said, walking me to her living room, a remarkably short distance away from her kitchen. I took a seat on her old, slightly beat up, black leather couch. It was 'broken in' as we always liked to say and probably the most comfortable piece of furniture she owned. "You need to tell me everything, please..."

"I...I will" I said, also feeling guilty since I could never divulge the entire truth. Nobody would even believe it. "But first... tell me again about Kevin... d-did he really... miss me? Does he still?"

"You kidding?" Jess chuckled, "He felt awful about everything that happened with you two before you dissapeared, he really did. He told me about all of it and how he shouldn't have said what he said..."

Hearing Jess talk about Kevin brought back a lot of old memories. I could almost hear and see him again in my head. He was a nice enough guy but he had a sometimes cocky outlook on life and we had a lot of disagreements when it came to his thoughts on women. I found him overprotective at times but not even overprotective like jealous... he was just always worried about me not being able to defend myself. He'd always deny that it was because I was a woman but I had a feeling that's secretly how he felt, like I was too weak and always needed a big strong man around. Because of that, he had given me this ridiculously strong pepper spray and mace I was supposed to use if a guy ever tried to 'jump me'. Little did he know, I almost never brought it with me. He always insisted on driving... in fact I think that's what our argument was about. Yeah, he had had his license longer than me but I was an okay driver... scratch that, a very good driver. I just lack confidence and having a boyfriend who devalued women never helped. Okay, so maybe he didn't devalue me, but still...

"Um... Kel?" Jess chuckled, "Kelly? You there?"

"Huh? Yeah!" I smiled, perking up. I must've spaced out for a second there, "I've just... been through a lot..."

"Oh my gosh, I can imagine" Jess frowned, "I'm so glad you're okay, girl"

She gave me another long hug before appearing more serious.

"I'm beyond flattered that you came here, Kel, but you need to go back to your dad in the suburbs, he's been worried sick, this is amazing news ... but again, I'm wondering what happened to you..." Jess asked, her voice lowering to almost a whisper, "did somebody kidnap you? Did you get raped?"

"Shh" I said, putting my finger close to her face in a mock attempt to silence her. "I... I'm not comfortable talking about this right now... but to your last question, no... nobody um... raped me... and I... I'm just so glad to be back where I... I can recognize you"

Jess gave me a concerned look. Maybe I had once again phrased this wrong. I didn't want her to think I was nuts. It wasn't too uncommon for victims of kidnapping to be a bit disoriented when they're freed but I wasn't kidnapped. At least, not really... and in fact I was holding a small life literally inches from my hands which I kept buried from my sweatshirt from time to time, giving off the appearance of a confused recluse.

"Look I... completely understand... you must've been through a lot" Jess repeated, "and I'm not going to pressure you, okay? Tell me whenever you're ready or whenever you can but I'm just so glad you're okay and a lot of people are going to be glad you're okay... you're a really strong person, Kelly, I love the hell out of you, I hope you know that"

I smiled.

"And seriously, if you need anything... anything at all, don't even hesitate to ask" Jess continued.

"This is going to sound stupid but could I actually charge my phone here?" I chuckled with a childish smile as I took out my dead iPhone from inside my jeans pocket.

"Oh my gosh, of course!" Jess chuckled. "Free from captivity and the first thing you're thinking of is texting?"

Jess got up with my phone in her hand and walked to her nearby bedroom. She was gone for a few moments. Not nearly long enough to talk to Jake, but I frowned as I thought about the little guy tucked away in my pockets, probably completely confused by now. If I listened really closely, I could almost hear him talking, but that was surely just my imagination at this point. Now that I had located my best friend and had someone else I could share this with, I didn't quite know what my next move was. I was honestly exhausted and getting my phone back online would only be a start to figuring this all out and maybe getting my old life back, but what about poor Jake?

Jess came back from her room, holding a pair of familiar pajama bottoms and a pink t-shirt. I almost couldn't believe my eyes.

"Nuh uh!" I chuckled, suddenly feeling very giddy, more happy than I had in a long, long time. They were my old pajamas that I'd wear when I slept over, and by old I mean not even a year old. "You still have these?"

"No, I threw em out" Jess laughed, "of course I have them... you left them over here last summer and never asked about it. I told you about it... like I don't know, 100 times but between you meeting Kevin and school and everything, you just never got back to me about coming over to get them, and then I got busy too, so I mean... this isn't exactly the time or place but I figured..."

"Oh my god, Jess, I love you!" I laughed again, throwing my arms against her again, forgetting for a second that I might've been squishing little Jake. "You're probably right though, I should tell my dad about everything, and get back home... see how things have been"

"What about Kevin?" Jess asked.

I paused for a second. I don't know why this particular question bothered me so much. I found it cute how much Kevin cared and thinking about it, why wouldn't he care? We just got into a little fight but I figured I had been gone for years or maybe longer and was assumed dead. If I had only been gone for a handful of months then it's possible that we could pick up where we left off but ... what was I saying? This was all moving so fast...

"I... I'll tell him too" I nodded slowly, but I wasn't sure how much I meant my own words. It was an awful feeling to lie, but not something I had been completely unfamiliar with. Sometimes I had to lie... I had lied to Jake as well... and that made me feel even worse.

"I know Kevin and I were never really... good friends" Jess confessed.

"You always hated him" I said, half jokingly.

"I didn't hate him, I just never knew him very well... the way you talked about him sometimes made him seem like such a pig, but then again, you guys were together for what, a year or so? I'm sure you saw something in him and he's thought enough of you to not date since you vanished... I mean, as far as I know" she replied.

"Really?" I asked, a bit surprised. Kevin always had a wandering eye, even when we were at our best.

"Yeah, I mean... we're not great friends but he checks in every once in a while... asks about you, if I've heard from you and nobody has obviously, for the longest time, but he'll be so glad you're back... I can't tell you for sure that he hasn't had anyone else since then but I really think he's been serious about you, he's been almost too depressed to date anyway" Jess frowned.

I took a deep breath again, unable to look my friend in the eye as my eyes seem to want to dart anywhere and everywhere but where I was. I was getting that "pacing" feeling again, and was almost comfortable enough with Jess to indulge in one of my old nervous pasttimes but I refrained.

"Anyway..." Jess said, trying to keep the conversation light as she fully relinquished the pajama outfit into my arms. "You're more than welcome to these... I'm sure you've been itching to get into some new clothes, or different ones anyway"

She wasn't kidding... I was literally itching in some places... tmi, probably.

I nodded as I took the clothes from her, seeming almost dumbfounded I'm sure, to be holding them.

"You're welcome to stay the night, by the way.. I'm sure you've got a lot going on, as I said" Jess said, "but I've got the blow up bed in my room and Im not working tomorrow or anything, I'd be glad to make the trip with you to see your dad"

I smiled, but had so many other emotions on my mind. How did Jake feel about all of this? Did I really plan on getting back in touch with Kevin? I was also so tired that her offer to stay the night was so tempting... part of me wanted to resolve this as quickly as possible but... and I feel like such a bitch for thinking like this... I was already cured. Running myself ragged back homeward wasn't going to help my condition but getting a good night sleep probably would... but what about poor little Jake? If I waited too long, he may be stuck that small and it'd be all my fault. This alone was guilting me enough to want to bolt.

"I'm sorry Jess..." I sighed, "I really appreciate that but I think as soon as my phone's charged, I'm going to call my dad and try and catch a train out of here, get back home, yknow? I really do appreciate it though... seriously, you're the best"

"No worries, I completely understand" Jess nodded, "if you'd like though, feel free to use whatever you need, are you hungry? I could try to use the oven again, since we know how well that usually goes"

We both laughed briefly before I shook my head.

"No, no thanks, but I'm good... I um... already ate" I smiled, thinking about my 'little' date with Jake.

"You need a shower? They finally got the hot water working again" Jess asked.

A shower actually did sound tempting.

"You know what? Um.. sure" I said, nodding. "I mean, if you don't mind of course"

"Oh yes, I mind sooo much" Jess laughed, in her usual tone of sarcasm. "You've only been missing for months and now you have the nerve to come over MY apartment and ask to use MY shower?!"

"You were the one who asked me, actually" I chuckled.

"I know, girl, that's what I'm saying, so get in there and get your shower on!" she laughed.

I looked back towards her as she gave me a playful push in the direction of her lone bathroom. "You trying to say I smell or something?"

"I didn't want to say anything..." she chuckled, "No, you're actually not bad for someone who's been out for a while"

I shrugged my arms and walked into the bathroom, taking the pajama bottoms with me. I slowly removed Jake from my pocket, holding in one hand.

"Jake I..." I started, in a low tone but Jess quickly cut me off.

"Hey, I'm also about to do some laundry" Jess said, "you want me to wash that old sweatshirt and jeans for you?"

"Um sure" I said, absentmindedly. I really had just wanted to get rid of her, at least for the time being. I needed this alone time with Jake. "just a second..."

I took a deep breath, keeping my eyes on Jake who appeared startled.

"Jake, I... ugh..." I said, realizing among other things how awkward it was to be holding the little man in my one hand while trying to pull my sweatshirt up. I set him down gently on the bathroom counter and pulled the sweatshirt up over myself. I was down to just wearing my black tank top and bra with jeans as I sat down on the closed toilet seat to take off my boots. My feet were relieved to stretch out of their restrictive prisons. Just then I heard another knock on the door.

"Hey, I'm going down soon, so just leave your stuff outside the door, ok?" Jess said.

"Yep, got it" I said, again trying to get her to leave as quickly as possible. After struggling with the boots I walked back over to Jake. My god, he was so cute, I wanted to take him into the shower with me. Knowing typical guys, I'm sure he wouldn't mind that at all... but then I had a sudden thought.

What about Kevin? If he had been faithful to me, it would feel weird fooling around with some other guy behind his back... even if that guy were the size of a loofa. Ugh, this was all so annoying. Besides that, Jake appeared angry with him. I didn't blame him. I knelt down to get a better look at my little traveling partner, giving him an ample view of my cleavage, I'm sure.

"I.. I.." he stuttered at first before regaining his bearings. "Lillian I... Kelly... whatever your name is, I... I just..."

"Jake, look... I'm sorry... I should've told you... I actually didn't even know myself until..." I replied.

"No, it's fine" he said.

He didn't seem fine, I thought to myself. Suddenly, Jess knocked lightly on the door again. I panicked and for some reason found myself putting Jake into my jeans pockets which were a bit more restrictive. I didn't need Jess coming into the room and seeing the little man. God knows how much that would complicate things. I turned around and gave Jess a smile as she slowly opened the door.

"Yep, just uh changing..." I said nervously.

"Yes... I can see that" Jess replied awkwardly, "just wanted to let you know again how glad I am that you're okay... you're my best friend and I was lost without you, you don't even know"

I smiled.

"Nice to see you again, too" I replied, as she slowly closed the door.

After I was sure that she had left, I addressed the tiny man in my pocket again.

"Jake, please... we'll talk about this in a little bit, I swear" I said, lifting him out of the jeans and hanging my sweatshirt up on the hook near the bathroom door. I tucked him into the pocket of the hanging sweatshirt as I walked over towards the tub and removed my jeans, secretly hoping he could still get a view of me changing from his vantage point inside the pocket. Hey, he deserved SOMETHING for all of his trouble. Before I completely comitted to taking off my clothes I thought again about bringing the little man in the shower with me. It was beyond tempting... something about it made me really hot... but I couldn't. This wasn't the right time or place... what if Jess caught me with him? Plus this whole thing with Kevin? And I had already lied to Jake and would be a total asshole if I did this... well, something tells me he wouldn't mind.

Before I even knew what hit me, I was already in the shower. It was like my body was on auto pilot after doing so much thinking. I had completely removed my old ensemble, shirt, bra and all and was currently enjoying the warm current of Jess' rarely working hot water as I took a moment to actually relax and let the water remove some tension from my body and muscles. Would it really have been that bad to let Jake join me? I thought, a naughty smile crossing my face as I reached for the shampoo. I couldn't have been in there for more than 5 minutes before I realized something that made my heart jump.

Oh no --

I had not only spaced out while in the shower but I hadn't even noticed -- oh shit, it was too late.

Much to my horror when I peered around the curtain to see the rest of the steamed up bathroom, my clothes were gone. The pajama bottoms and top still lay on the tiled floor but my pair of jeans and more importantly... the sweatshirt were gone. Jess had already taken them to be washed!
Chapter End Notes:

I hope you're all enjoying the story and worry not, because more insight will be provided soon, from Jake's point of view. As always, reviews, comments and suggestions are always welcome and I thank you for your time and reading