- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Jake does his best to find Kelly again, but will it be worth it in the end? Written from Jake's point of view

The key was not to panic, I thought, as I uselessly fished my cell phone out of my pocket, the screen burning my eyes as I slowly wiped my tears. Then again, this damn phone wasn't going to help me much either, I figured as I let my hands fall to the side. I stood up again and peeked around the corner to see nobody was around. The 2 girls had dissapeared behind the bedroom door which appeared nearly a mile away. I decided it was time to get walking. If I was going to get anywhere at this point, it was going to be because of me -- nobody else could help me this time.

I started walking and began my long trek. Before long, I grew tired. I couldn't believe how pathetic I was. I had probably walked the equivalent of a few feet and my sides were burning as if I were running a mile. I pressed on, struggling as the giant door grew larger and larger in size the closer I got. Even if I reached the door, I thought, there was no way I could open it, and even at my size, I was a bit too large to fit under the small crack that revealed itself as I drew nearer. This was hopeless...

The room grew darker as I felt myself falling asleep again... no, not again. I feel like I had slept more often than I had been awake. My body uselessly fought the drowsy sensation until I found myself curled up on the floor like a bug. As I drew my knees closer to my face for warmth, it began to dawn on me that that was exactly what I had become. Nothing but a bug... a tiny little bug. With what was left of my strength, my arm reached for my pockets again and fished for the cell phone. Maybe I could call her, maybe she could help. No...

"No..." I muttered sleepily, releasing my grip on the cell phone. "No... no point in that"

I opened my eyes again, feeling a bit more refreshed but it was definitely later now. I had no idea how long I had laid there and it was a miracle I hadn't been stepped on while I was out of it but I still lay in my pathetic position as nighttime had descended on the apartment. I got myself back up and crawled slowly towards the door. It was now just a short distance away but I had to hurry up before I got tired again. At this point, I didn't even care if Kelly's friend Jess saw me, I just needed help -- from anyone, in any way. I began to get really scared again and decided maybe I should call her. While my mind reasoned with my heart, my hands had already made their way to the cell phone and were dialing the dreaded number. Why was I doing this?

The phone rang once. Then again. Then again.

After a slight delay, I heard the voice.

"H-Hello?" she said, in a soft tone, "Jake?"

I held the phone still in my hand. Suddenly I was startled by the jarring sound of the door cracking open. I hung up the phone and turned back, startled by the sight of giant Kelly stepping out of the room. It was dark but a faint light from the room behind her illuminated her enough to see. I scampered around her foot before it landed in my area.

"K-Kelly!! Please!!" I screamed, my words devoured by the cold darkness as she faded towards the bathroom, the room that I had been in several hours ago. At this rate, it would take me days to get there again, so I retreated into the open door, now in Jess's massive room.

I stood in front of a bureau that was as high as a castle, looking up to be greeted by a long sleeve fleece that appeared as menacing as a dragon with a lone sleeve draped over the edge. I looked around some more and noticed the room was tight, very tight. Jess lay dormant on her twin size bed in the corner, turned away from me towards the corner wall. Kelly must've been using the sleeping bag on the floor which was disheveled and full of her stuff. Her cell phone sat on the floor, not too far away, still tethered to the outlet nearby. I walked over towards it but it wasn't quite that easy. The bedroom was littered with junk -- everything from empty bottles of poland spring water and tangled up wires from ipod headphones blocked my direct path.

It wasn't long before Kelly re-entered the room, in her long black sweatpants and pink pajama top. Her feet were bare as they spread out in front of me on the thin beige carpets. She didn't have far to walk and slowly settled back down onto the floor, sitting up for a moment. She blinked once, appearing more drowsy than I had but then it dawned on me...

Had she seen me?

"J-Jake?" I heard her whisper. Or maybe that's just what I wanted to hear.

No, she had seen me, she definitely had. I didn't know whether to smile or cry. I stepped closer to the frozen giantess as she stared down at me, as if she couldn't believe her eyes. She didn't move but I moved closer still.

"Lil? Kel?" I said nervously, approaching the giant beauty from afar. I was waiting for her to move or somehow show a sign of recognition, as if to let me know it were okay to keep walking up to her. As I got closer she finally began to show some signs of emotion. A great smile widened on her face and she was about to speak loudly before she hushed herself. She reached her hand down.

"Jake!" she said, a quiet chuckle in her voice. "I-I'm so glad you're... I mean, I'm glad you're okay"

I nodded. I don't know why I was so worried about staying quiet. I could scream at the top of my lungs and it wouldn't wake Jess on the other side of the room. I was glad that it was her who had found me though. I don't know how I would've handled Jess or (even worse) Kendra finding me in this state. I nervously climbed onto Kelly's waiting hand and remained seated as she brought me up to her face.

She smelled good -- not that she hadn't before, but the distinct scent of Palmolive and some other shower gels had dampered her skin and she was like a giant angel beaming with joy as she looked upon me in her hand. She had found me, but now what? I thought as the dread slowly set in again. I was only one step closer to maybe figuring this out -- or maybe ending up as a blood splat on a carpet somewhere.

"Jake..." she said, her voice in a silent whisper again. "Hold on, okay?"

I nodded -- as if I really had a choice.

The giantess slowly got up with me perched in her hand and walked me out of the room. It was almost embarassing how fast she cleared the bedroom considering how long it had taken me to walk there. An all night trek for me became about 30 seconds as she walked back into the bathroom and quietly closed the door and locked it. She sat down on the closed toilet seat and held me out in front of her.

"Oh my god..." she sighed, a long pause in her voice as she took a deep breath. She proceeded to shake her head lightly back and forth. I shot her an inquisitive look.

"You okay?" I asked.

"Yes... I mean now I am!" she exclaimed, "I thought I lost you... I thought you were... I..."

"It's okay, Lillian... Kelly..." I said.

She smiled again.

"Jake, honestly, you can call me whatever you want" she said, a slight chuckle in her massive voice.

"What do you mean?" I asked. It was an odd suggestion from someone who used to be treated like a pet.

"I mean what I said... I just don't know what to say... Jake, you are still my hero" she said with a smile, "and if you want to call me Lillian, call me Lillian. If you prefer Kelly, call me Kelly... hell, call me Veronica for all I care"

"Veronica?" I asked, "the girl from the Archie comics?"

She chuckled and smiled again.

"You're so sweet, Jake" she said and slowly brought me back to her face, laying a kiss on my body. I fell back, causing her to giggle again. This was becoming a strange time and place for a love fest but I didn't mind. My body was sore from the day I had had and things were only going to get rougher from here. Almost as if she knew that, a frown slowly came over her face.

"Lil?" I asked.

"You're not hurt, are you?" she asked. "I didn't even ask... you could've been seriously hurt, I'm so sorry!"

I stood up quickly in her hand, as if to show her how fine I was. Despite my aching joints, I was still able to put on a pretty convincing act. I heard her let out a small chuckle as she tried to calm me down.

"Okay okay, I get it" Kelly said, "But... the thing is, Jake... I really don't know... how much longer... I can keep you"

"What do you mean?" I asked, suddenly feeling very scared.

"Well I said I'd help you, and I will" Kelly resolved, "but there are so many problems with that, my gosh, you don't even know... first of all... I am HORRIBLE with pets, ask anyone! I had a pet hamster when I was a kid... he got lost and never was found... I can't keep track of my homework sometimes, I mean I am so scatterbrained and I already lost you once..."

I frowned as she spoke.

"...and I mean, oh gosh..." she said, lowering her tone of voice. "When I said... no, Jake... I didn't mean it like that. You're not a pet, you're a..."

"I pretty much am" I groaned, "continue though"

"You're not a pet" Kelly smiled, "but that's beside the point... the thing is, there are probably people more qualified to take care of you than I am... and you could get seriously hurt if somebody handles you who doesn't have experience with..."

"But who has experience with this kind of thing?" I chuckled, "Plus c'mon... I mean... you've been fine... you've been more than fine. You're great, Lillian and I wouldn't want anyone else caring for me, I mean it... no matter what happens, I'll be a lot more careful and you won't even hear a peep out of me unless..."

"It's Kevin" she groaned. I stopped, surprised. I felt like a ton of bricks had hit me.

"Right..." I said, the realization dawning on me again. Her ex boyfriend... well maybe not so "ex". I remember her mentioning him to me and again to Jess. Not only did she have a completely different name than I thought, she had a different life and she had friends and a boyfriend to return to. I was being ridiculously selfish to think she'd give that up for some guy she had only just met.

"...Yeah" she said, her voice becoming quiet again. "and I mean, we're not dating... Kevin and I.... at least not right now, not as far as I'm concerned... I mean..."

"...but you'd like to be..." I sighed, finishing her sentence for her.

"I didn't say that" Kelly said after a long pause.

"But you had to think about it" I replied, "and that's fine, I totally get it"

"That's not it, Jake! Seriously... you're not listening" Kelly scoffed.

"Kel, it's okay" I nodded, "seriously, you want to get back together with him and it'd be awkward having me around..."

"Jake, stop... it's not that simple" she sighed, getting up now.

"W-Wait, where are we going?" I asked nervously as she lifted me from the room and headed back towards Jess' bedroom.

"Well, I wasn't planning to spend the night in the bathroom" she groaned. I looked up at her questioningly as she held me.

"A-Are you mad?" I asked

"Mad? No... no, I'm fine" she said, her breathing faster than it had been before. What had started out as a "feel good" moment felt like a tense argument as Kelly brought me back with her into Jess' room, keeping me concealed in her hand. "I just think we need to think about some things... both of us... and we need some sleep, okay?"

I tried to think of words but they were lost just as fast as they came. I looked at her with a vacant look and she just stared back, her giant eyes drilling into me as she slowly lowered me into a nearby purse. I looked up at her with a frightened look on my face.

"Jess is letting me borrow this purse, okay?" Kelly asked, "We'll talk more in the morning... have a good night, okay?"

I looked up at her with a sad look as she slid the zipper over, only leaving a few inches for me to breathe. I sighed and felt drowsy again... I guess it was best just to sleep on it for now... again, not like I had a choice. What bothered me more as I started to doze off was this thought ...

Why had I tried to call Kendra?
Chapter End Notes:

I hope I've opened up some interesting avenues for this story going forward because there are multiple directions that I'm thinking of going in. As always, I look forward to hearing your responses and reviews to the latest chapter.

 

Thanks again for reading!