- Text Size +

Three weeks had passed; three weeks of introductory classes, of reviewing semesters that Miranda had aced with flying colors, of the same old boring shit that she'd been exposed to for the first three-quarters of her degree program. Miranda wanted her doctorate; she wanted real work, real studies, government-level access to the truth behind neo humanity. She didn't just want to know why, she wanted to know how and what's next.

 

But, alas, curriculum was as curriculum was, and so Miranda Townsworth had endured. Three weeks came and went, and her credentials came through as they had in years passed. Now, she walked the concrete sidewalk to the dorms on the west side of campus with a spring in her step; lab work with Kira had been wonderful.

 

Not only was the redhead unrelentingly charming and interested in the field, she was a genius. The two compared notes and talked about their past work, what they'd been exposed to, why they were so intrigued by the prospects that neo humans had to offer. Kira flashed her elegant smile the whole time, and she must have realized how foolish Miranda became around her? The blushing, the staring. A girl of Kira's caliber must get it all the time...she was probably used to it. Maybe even actively avoiding it. Miranda thought herself a pig.

 

Miranda keyed herself into the dorm building and rode the elevator to the third floor. The dorms, like the rest of Merriwinter U, were modern, fancy and expensive. They were still spotless from summer cleaning, and around her, students still were moving their things back and forth in fits of procrastination. She slid her card into the reader on dorm 328, and so entered her own two-bedroom suite. Her roommate, Rebecca Highland, sat on the couch, watching TV and lazily eating a protein bar. Though she usually watched reality TV and sitcoms, right now she was watching the news.

 

“Still nothing has been found relating to Hasif Nurala, better known as the vigilante pyrokinetic 'Orion', one of the world's most powerful alpha neo humans,” The news anchor said. “Mr. Nurala has been missing for months, and was last seen in New Antioch.”

 

“Hey,” Miranda said with a smile. Rebecca turned to her and acknowledged her with a smile. Though they weren't the greatest of friends, this was mostly due to a difference of interests; neither of the girls had an issue with the other. Rebecca was studying business; she was a party girl, in a long-term off-and-on heterosexual relationship with a guitarist named Brad, and liked reality TV. She also, handily, was not a neo human, as far as Miranda knew.

 

“Sup, Mands,” Rebecca replied curtly. Her straight platinum blonde hair followed her pretty head as she turned to look at her roommate. “How'd your date go?” She said with a grin.

 

“It wasn't a date, Becca!” Miranda stated yet again. “We just met up for lab work.” She reached out her hand to her cat, Cora. Cora's yellow eyes stared up at her owner, and the all-black cat meowed happily.

 

Bradley McDenfer stuck his head out the entrance to Rebecca's dorm, a shirt half-pulled over his chiseled body. “You get with your siren yet?” He moved a piece of brown hair aside and ducked his tall frame under the door's.

 

Miranda threw up her hands in dismay. “What do you people do, talk about my love life all day? No, I haven't 'gotten with her yet'. She's so far out of my league, it isn't funny. No really, it's not funny. Shush,” She commanded. She sat down and smoothed her skirt out. “But lab was fine, thank you. Kira knows what she's talking about.”

 

“Eh, leagues are crap,” Rebecca said. “The way you describe her, she must be used to lowering her standards.” She grinned sarcastically at Miranda.

 

“You're so nice, thanks.” Miranda replied with just as much sarcasm.

 

“I actually heard something about Kira you might find interesting,” Brad said, pulling the shirt over the rest of him and sitting down next to Rebecca. Cora headbutted his leg and he scritched her behind the ears. “She's from Prescott Heights.”

 

Miranda cocked her head to the side in curiosity. Two months ago, the entire suburb of Prescott Heights in nearby Luxsey went up in smoke when the Hotel Siracco basically exploded. Hundreds were dead in the first moments, and the fire burned at an unnatural temperature. Most of the small, rich town was devastated.

 

“Huh,” Miranda said matter-of-factly. “Where'd you hear that?”

 

“Doc Cole, originally. I did some searching around, and the word is she moved to Prescott Heights like six years ago, from England.” Brad said. “Explains the accent. The Doc was mentioning that her credentials came faxed from her dad's estate in Prescott Heights. He's gotta have one of the what, ten houses left standing? That was some blaze.”

 

“Let's talk about something else, okay?” Rebecca asked coldly. One of her friends had died in the incident. Brad immediately lowered his gaze.

 

“Sorry babe,” He replied apologetically.

 

“When do you see Kira again, Manda?” Rebecca asked, changing the subject.

 

“Oh, uh, probably in Advanced Genetics on Wednesday. Why?” Miranda replied. Cora leapt into her lap and demanded attention.

 

“Ask her out.” Rebecca said with a shrug. Brad nodded.

 

“What, just like that?” Miranda asked with a laugh. “I should get to know her first.”

 

“Make a move before someone else does. I've seen her, and though I don't get the same, ah, urges you do when it comes to girls, I certainly can tell who's hot and who's not,” Rebecca said. “And if you don't act quick, someone's gonna.”

 

Miranda chewed her lower lip in frustration. The idea of looking into Kira's emerald irises and proposing romance was more daunting than any thesis she'd ever have to explain to a board of doctors. She didn't even know if Kira was into girls!

 

“I d-don't wanna make things weird,” Miranda stammered. “Besides, she's a professional.”

 

“Yeah,” Brad said. “A professional goddess.” Rebecca smacked his arm and rolled her eyes.

 

Miranda stood up and grabbed her bag. “I can't deal with this right now, I have a report on dead famous neos to write. Thank you both for your advice.” She turned on her heel and walked into her room, closing the door behind her with Cora in her arms.

 

*** *** *** 

 

Kira Northvale smiled her crimson smirk up at the class as she stood in front of Edwin Cole's desk. Her delicate hands held her paper in her hands, and she'd been reading to them about Madame Vi, one of the world's most famous neo humans. Like the rest of the class, Miranda's attention was partly fixed on her words, and much like most of the class, partly fixed on the way her lips moved.

 

“...Victoria Esqualle was among the first to openly discuss her powers in public,” Kira said in her gorgeous accent, lightly pacing. Without trying, she owned their attention. “She claimed to have been gifted with extraordinary beauty, as well as pheromones that made people want to listen to her, wanted to be near her, to make her happy. Sadly, Madame Vi met her end nine years ago, when a spurned gangster gunned her down in the streets of London,” She continued. “Her sacrifice and martyrdom would be honored to this very day; neo humans have much to thank Ms. Esqualle for.” She bowed to the class, and they applauded her.

 

“Quick and to the point, thank you, Kira,” Doctor Cole replied. “We have time for one more. Miss Townsworth, if you would, please.”

 

Seth gave Miranda a reptilian, friendly smile, and Miranda took her paper and stepped down to the center of the class. Kira smiled at her as well as she passed, taking her usual seat in the front row. Miranda cleared her throat and the class silenced.

 

“My report is on...,” She began, but swallowed hard. Kira's eyes were boring into her, unflinchingly. She felt like a mouse spotted by a cat. “M-my. Report is on...Father Eigner...the Alpha of Austria. Father Eigner was a holy man whose powers did not manifest until his mid-twenties...,” Miranda purposefully looked somewhere else. “He was classified an alpha neo due to his remarkable ability to strengthen, bolster, and jumpstart a person's ability to heal, and there are many d-documented....,” She paused again.

 

Her eyes barely caught the movement of Jeremy Burns, who sat next to Kira. He whispered something to her and she blushed, giggling quietly for a moment. Miranda felt a hot twang of jealousy, as well as the pit-delving feeling of her hopes imploding.

 

“Mr. Burns, if we could try to not act like undergrads, I would appreciate it.” Edwin Cole said flatly.

 

“Sorry sir.” Jeremy replied quickly. Kira straightened up and focused her eyes on Miranda again.

 

“Thank you,” Miranda said hotly. “There are many documented cases of the Reverend healing what were thought to be fatal diseases. It is unfortunate and cruel, of course, that his healing powers did not extend to his own body. Father Eigner served as a cardinal in the Vatican for many years before cancer of the liver took him...”

 

Her report went on, a bit longer than the others'. When it was done, everyone applauded, and Dr. Cole ushered her back to her seat. He instructed them on their next paper – a much longer, graduate-level paper on genetic mutation theory. Miranda gathered her things, slipping her books into her bag.

 

“I-it's too bad he's...he's dead,” Seth said with a grimace. “The Father. He might've been a-able to...to help me.”

 

“You don't have a disease, Seth, you're mutated from birth. That's not healing, that's eugenics, and that's messed up,” Miranda replied curtly.

 

Seth grimaced and nodded. “I g-guess so. Oh...o-oh, hey Kira.” Miranda's eyes snapped upward. Kira stood in front of her chair, perfect teeth shining through her grin.

 

“Could we walk, Miranda?” Kira asked. “I would be very much interested in discussing potential topics. You don't mind if I steal her away for a moment, do you, Seth?” She asked, turning to the gamma neo and smiling again.

 

“No, n-no, of course not, no.”

 

Kira toyed with one of her curls again. “Much appreciated! I will meet you by the door, okay?” She twirled around and stepped over to discuss something with the professor. Seth met Miranda's eyes.

 

“Manda.” He said firmly.

 

“Not yet.” Miranda said quickly.

 

“You w-will do this. Do it, before that asshole B-Burns does!” Seth whispered harshly. A bucket of cold water splashed into Miranda's stomach. Seth had seen it too.

 

“Fine, fine! God. But if I come home sobbing hysterically I want you to be ready to get over to me with ice cream and whiskey.”

 

“Yeah, y-yeah. As you w...wish. Go.” Seth said. He resumed picking up his things and Miranda tip-toed down the stairs. Kira held the door for her, and the two of them walked out into the brisk, late morning.

 

They discussed the weather; Cora and then Kira's cat Lilith. The two ladies giggled as they talked about the foolish antics of energetic cats, and soon, they sat under a pavilion, sipping iced tea and waiting for Miranda's 1:30 class to start.

 

“I don't know what to even pick for my topic,” Kira said. “It's such a broad subject. Does Doctor Cole always teach like this?”

 

“Yeah, he's an easy professor. Gives us work because he has to; he'd rather see us in the labs.” Miranda said. Her heart pounded in her chest. Now or never.

 

“What are you going to research, Manda?” Kira asked politely.

 

Miranda gulped. “Not sure. M-maybe,” She began. She wrung her hands in nervousness. Kira's eyes studied her, and Miranda damned whatever Abyssal god had created a creature so simultaneously sexy and cute. “Maybe we could discuss it...over...dinner?”

 

A tense moment passed. One second. Two seconds. Three. The bucket of ice water had become a melting glacier creating a lake of doubt. Kira would pull away. She'd be disgusted. She'd never look at Miranda the same way again.

 

“Sounds good to me.” Kira said simply.

 

Miranda's heart nearly exploded. Endorphins filled her, warmth spreading to her fingers and toes. She wanted to say something foolish, like, 'So you'll give me a chance', or 'I'll treat you like the Goddess you are', but instead, she just mumbled and smiled stupidly.

 

“You're cute,” Kira said with a grin, holding her head up with her delicate hand and watching with an amused, arched eyebrow. “When's good for you?”

 

“S-seven? Tomorrow? After lab?” Miranda asked hopefully.

 

Kira smiled and settled into the pavilion's bench. “Works.” She said, and resumed sipping her tea.

 

The two of them sat in silence, reading their research books and drinking tea. Miranda was a swirl of emotions, but Kira was as calm and collected as always. Doubt, excitement, worry, fear, insecurity, jubilation and mirth came and went as fast as light. Nervousness wracked Miranda to the point of nausea. But, she had a chance. She had a date, a potential beginning to a relationship with a girl no living soul had any right to touch.

 

After another few moments, Kira said, “You just gonna stare?” Miranda fumbled with her book and nearly squeaked. “It's 1:25, Miranda. Get to class. I'll see you tomorrow.”

 

Miranda stood up and almost bowed goodbye. Kira chuckled and shook her head in amusement.

 

“Adorable,” She said. “Go.” Miranda turned around and left, and Kira watched her, emeralds twinkling in the noonday sunlight.

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading, more to come. Tomorrow, prolly. I'm tired.