- Text Size +

“Dylan! I asked you to take the dog out an hour ago!” Donna Johnson yelled to her son from the kitchen. She swore her son ignored her purposely sometimes. Dylan heard his mom yell to him, but he just blew her off. He worked during the day when he didn’t have his college classes. This was his only time of the day to come home and relax, besides the dog wasn’t even his. He can still remember the day three years ago when his annoying sister, Rachel, begged for that dog for her sixteenth birthday. He knew his mom wouldn’t stop yelling about it. He also knew as soon as he let the dog out she would want to start small talk. Its not that he didn’t love his mother, it was just that he had turned twenty last week, and he felt like he was still his mother’s little boy, living at home. He knew it wasn’t fair to his mom, but he felt that if he spent less time with her, letting her mother him, maybe he would feel more on his own. “Fine! I’m coming.” he yelled back to her. He made his way down the steps into the living room to let the dog out. His guess was correct, because as soon as he let the dog run out the side door he heard his mom say, “So how was your day?”. “It was like any other day”, he replied almost halfway up the stairs to his room. He knew his father would be home soon, so he wouldn’t have to hide in his room to keep his mom from talking to him.

Tim Johnson was giving his wife the same treatment his son was, except he had no idea he was. Lately his work had been tough on him, and he knew they were making cuts around the office. So he felt like for his family, he needed to prove that his work needed him. What he didn’t realize was he was now hardly giving his wife any of his attention. He would come home late every night, eat dinner, and then go straight to either his office downstairs, or to bed. He tried to make sure he was being a good father to his boys. Well more to Dylan, since his oldest son, had married and moved out. He knew his daughter had been getting Donna’s attention, so he tended to lean towards the boys. He wasn’t picking favorites, he made sure he showed his daughter he cared for her, but he knew his wife was doing that as well. If only he knew he was forgetting to give the same attention to the most important person in his life.

Donna knew her boys loved her, but she just wished they didn’t go around ignoring her. Her husband was always at work, her younger son never wanted to talk to her, and she never saw her oldest anymore. She wished every night they could feel the same way she felt, unaware and unloved. She may not have made this wish if she new a certain wishing star she was unaware of would grant her request the night it would pass by, tomorrow night.

Dylan had all of his things packed. He was ready for the camping trip his dad and older brother went on the beginning of every summer. He headed downstairs where they were waiting for him. It was about eight o’clock, and they usually left around then after their dad’s friend would come by to pick them up. As they sat and waited Dylan heard the phone ring. His dad answered it and he could tell there was frustration in his father’s voice. “Well guys I guess I’m going to have to drive us down their tonight, seems Gary can’t go.” Tim told his sons. “Let me just go tell your mother the changes”, as he was heading upstairs to tell his wife the changes he collapsed on the living room floor. “Dad! What happened??” Jason said while running to his side. “I don’t know Jason, I just feel so dizzy and my body feels so tight.”, He struggled to say. “Actually now that you mention it I feel the same way”, Dylan stated as he landed on his knees. ‘Oh man what is going on?” Jason asked before he blacked out on the living room carpet. The boys may not have known what was happening, but upstairs in her bedroom, Donna was wishing the same thing she did every other night as she saw a bright shining comet fly by in the sky. “I wish that my boys would realize how it feels to be unaware by others.”

Slowly Dylan felt himself slip back into consciousness, and as soon as he did he had a splitting headache, but at the same time his body felt very loose and light. He then quickly realized he wasn’t in his house anymore. In fact the ground he was on felt like some sort of soft fuzzy tan grass. He lost thought as he saw his dad and brother lying a few feet away from him. Quickly he ran to his father to wake him up. “Dad! Dad! Get up!!” he yelled as his dad rolled over and opened his eyes.

When Tim awoke he saw Dylan’s head and then the living room ceiling fan above him. He could tell with the light in the room, even with his fuzzy eye sight right now, that it was morning. “Dad I have no idea where we are, and I don’t know what happened to us last night.” Dylan said to Tim. Tim just blew it aside not even registering it figuring his son was joking or something. That was until he heard Jason scream at like a frightened little boy. “Jason what is the matter?” Tim said as he quickly jumped to his feet.

That’s when Dylan saw it. It was huge, it was unreal, it was a book bag. Only it looked like it was for a giant. Dylan then took the time to take in his surroundings. He was definitely wrong, they were still at home, just the size of bugs! But none of them were given enough time to handle their surroundings, for as soon as they heard it, they knew they were in trouble. A loud noise was upon them, it sounded like a heavy panting. It started to get louder as it made its way around the corner of the kitchen into the living room where the inch tall men were camping. It was a monster, and it was with them. Dylan tried to scream to his brother, but before he could tell him to run, their black lab Nina, was already upon them, eyeing them curiously.

Jason slowly turned around to see a giant furry creature right above him staring down at him. His body was still shaking, from the trauma of being small, and also the giant lab standing before him. Slowly Nina brought her nose down towards him. He could see the glistening wetness on the large nostrils of the beast. It came closer and before he could say a thing, a large pinkish monster came slurping down trying to obtain the object of her curiosity.

Dylan and Tim watched in horror as Jason disappeared in a second, and with that the dog trotted away to her owner. Dylan’s brother was gone, Tim’s son had vanished. What would happen to them?