- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Alexis thinks back as she looks for Rektor.

 

Alexis slowly slowed down as the dust settled.  The strange tracks still lied in the dirt.  They were each parallel of each other and it looked like one of those vehicles that Rektor has shown Alexis earlier.  Rektor on their journey had taken the time to explain tracking but Alexis was cursing herself for only giving faint interest in the topic.  She never had to track her meals when she could simply eat all the vegetation she could have with the giant oak trees.  Alexis slowly followed the tracks and got lost in her mind as she tried to find her friend.  It was odd that the last few weeks with Rektor she felt truly accepted for who she was, not in terms of physical acceptance but something deeper. 

“Alexis!!! Are you paying attention?”  The instructor peered her eyes up at her day dreaming pupil.  At only 16 years of age Alexis rose to 65 feet towering over her 48-foot instructor.  “If you are paying attention as you say, then answer this simple question from the lesson.  How do you rate the danger levels of man?”  The instructor stood in front of the line of students.  Alexis took a step forward to give the answer.  Each step caused the ground of moan from her weight.  Giving pause Alexis thought of her options.  A wrong answer and a failed lesson meant a meeting with the elders.  As wise as they proclaim the elders can be stuck in their ways, Alexis thought.

“The Angelics are the dangerous due to their wings.  They can fly higher than our weapons and anything thrown could be dodged.  The obvious next option would be the Oxen.  They are normally the strongest of all people.  They do not have the creativity or smarts of an angelic but their strength makes them formidable.  The last would be the leapers.  Leapers they say are, are, well, able to leap.”  The sweat was beading upon her eyebrow.  It slowly pooled at her chin having gravity take over as the beads fell to the ground; Was this the right answer?

“ALEXIS? We have gone over the Leapers, the men who remained the size before growth have died out.  No one has seen one or heard of one at the Gatherings in years.  They are nothing more than a tale to scare the young ones.  If you don’t take your lesson more serious you will only be the tallest woman of this clan.  I am sorry you don’t seem to understand but perhaps a meeting with the elders will straighten you out.”  The instructor turned her back and left the training area giving a quick wave to dismiss the students.  Alexis tried to stand up to her full height but the embarrassment and the questioning of her intelligence was something that made her height worthless.  It wouldn’t be long before she had another chat with the elders.

“I just don’t know how you are NOT understanding.”  The elder ensured to add extra emphasis on the word not.  This child, which was supposed to be the crown jewel, the child who already at the age of 15 had grown to the tallest and had shown no signs of stopping just couldn’t get it through her head.  “Men are the problem; it was their doing the great war occurred.  It is their doing which leads to conflicts, it is their doing that we live the way we live.  If a man were to see you he would not hesitate so why can’t you focus to learn about them?”  The elder stared at her squinting her eyes.  It was petty the elder thought to force Alexis to kneel but at their separate heights this was the only way to show physically who was in control. 

“You say you want me to understand, but you say to understand only what you tell me.”  Alexis continued to kneel as her leg started to fall asleep.  She knew what she said would only lead to more lectures but her mother only told her one thing about her father, her father from the gathering.  He said to please tell her “Make her own decisions”.  Alexis never knew that man but she valued what he asked for her Mother to share.  “I have been forbidden to even go to the gatherings, been forbidden to leave the clan for fear for me, I have not had a chance to make my own decision, my elder, I am trying to understand but have it be my own decision.”  Alexis waited for the reply.

“You are so head strong, like your Mother, and don’t think that word you used went unnoticed.  ‘decisions’ I remember when your Mother was dying and she asked me if she should tell you what your father had requested.”  The elder’s face went from one of concern to disgust as she described Alexis’s father.  “I told her no, but I suppose you are your Mother’s daughter you two are more stubborn than the sun!  You both will get me to rise no matter what!”  Alexis couldn’t keep back her several foot-long smile as the elder talked about her Mother and maybe a little part was knowing her Father upset her as well. 

“I suppose we can discuss some new privileges.”  The elder walked up to Alexis’s and place her hand on her shoulder.  “Stand up and let’s go for a walk.”  As Alexis stood up she truly showed she was a growing girl as she stood 5 feet higher than the elder.  He steps echoed as they walked.  “Alexis, I will not budge on the gathering, you don’t understand it now but the men can’t have anything to give them your height.  Also, the conversations with men, it just won’t happen.”  The two reached the edge of their clan’s inner land.  “I will allow since you are a growing girl some time to yourself.  You may leave when approved and go to where your heart can take you if you return every night, never go to the forbidden area, get any info from the warriors about possible men patterns and finally take your lessons seriously.”  This was taken a back from this gesture.  “Alexis, you will only be the tall girl if you still believe in Leapers.  You embarrassed yourself by saying such silly notions.  Do you believe a person, a man no less who is only 6 foot tall probably shorter can survive out there?  You’re better than that.  Do you agree to my offer?”  Alexis thought for about five seconds.

“I agree, I will not embarrass myself or let down my sisters again.”  Eleven years is a long-time Alexis had to think.  It was eleven years ago since the Elder had given her permission to start exploring the wilderness.  Always enjoying her walks but this walk for Rektor was different.  Something far more important was at stack. As Alexis continued her walk following the tracks the sun dipped into dusk and an odd light was coming from the hill the tracks were heading.  It almost made an outline of a huge door.