- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

What's in the box?

“What’s this white stuff?” Alexis looked down on the ground and what was flying all around.  It was coming down as if it were rain but it wasn’t.  She grabbed a mound of it and squeezed it gently into a ball.  Rektor was again off in thought and ignoring her.  “Hello?”  And still nothing from her lover.  As she was ignored she got a wicked idea.  She slowly crept as quietly as she could until she was standing close enough to Rektor.  Holding out her hand she made sure her ball of that white stuff was directly over his head.  As she released her hands and gravity took its course the ball crashed on top of his head.

“COLD COLD COLD COLD COLD COLD COLD!!”  Rektor was now surrounded with the white stuff with only his head showing.  It was a sight that brought tears of laughter to Alexis’s face watching her tiny man struggle to free himself.  First his right hand showed from the mound.  It tried to clear the material but it was to do no good.  Rektor was stuck.  “Why did you do that?” Rektor said in more annoyance than anger.

“If you didn’t ignore my question I wouldn’t have, but you’re off in your little mind again.”  She kneeled over Rektor.  It had taken awhile but Rektor has learned to love when she bent over him. He’d never admit it but the power Alex has been a turn on for him.  As she leaned her clothing showed off her massive breasts as well rising and falling with every breath.  Rektor has gotten better to not get caught staring but Alexis has gotten better at catching his wandering eyes.  “Does the smart man need my help to get out of his mess?”

“No, I can do it, I have been on my own far longer than you and can take care of myself and I was listening to you, you covered me in snow.” Rektor again failed to make any head way against his jail.  Alexis slowly circled the mound with her index finger gathering some more of this snow on the tip.  She stopped her hand in front of his body and with a quick flip the clump of snow was flung into Rektor’s face making him look like a snowman.  “COLD COLD COLD”

“Are you sure the big strong man doesn’t need little me to help him out of his predicament.”  Alexis said in her teasing voice.  “I would use all my strength and these small muscles I have in my arms and try to rescue you.  I would be your protector.  All you would have to do is ask.”  Alexis said while giving a wink and flexing her biceps to show off her massive muscles.  Rektor was regretting teaching Alexis innuendo and sarcasm at this point.  It had been a day since they found the spot where to notify Sarah.  Along the coast there was a gigantic boulder about the height of Alexis alone.  It was a metaphor which was not lost on Rektor and a 30-minute conversation to explain what metaphors are to Alexis who pointed out that the rock may be bigger but it is still supported by something so small as sand.  Alexis pointed out the rock may be herself but the sand was Rektor.  Together the rock and the sand made the scenery possible. 

“Ok, ok, ok give me a hand out of this giant snowball.”  He hated when he had to admit he needed her help, it was worse that she had put him in this spot to begin with, but that was relationships he thought.  She brought her middle and ring fingers and gently wrapped them around his torso.

“You are too heavy; I don’t think I’m strong enough to get you out.  Give me some encouragement my love.”  As she playfully struggled to move his light body.

“Alexis, really?  We really doing this?”

“You’re too heavy for little me.”  As she again playfully struggled to raise his body.  The two were lost in their little game to notice the vehicles approach and Sarah walk towards the odd couple.  Sarah could quickly tell the two had grown closer together since the last time she had seen them.  Sarah giggled at how well a woman can learn to flirt even when isolated away from men.  Must be inn our genetics.

“What are you two doing?”  Sarah said causing the two to freeze and act like children when they are caught doing something bad.

“Nothing.”  Rektor and Alexis said in unison.

“Really? Because it doesn’t seem like nothing.  You sure it was nothing.”  Sarah was having too much fun.  It was like she had known these two for years.

“It’s nothing, Alexis is just helping me out of this snow.”  Rektor tried to say while not looking like a complete fool even thou he felt like it.

“Oh, it’s just that Rektor is too big for little me to get out.”  Alexis said with a tease.  If she had been caught she might as well go all in on the joke.  “Can you a big strong woman help my man out of the snow.”  Alexis said to Sarah hoping she would play along.  Her answer came when she saw Sarah get a small grin on her face.

“Oh, the big strong man needs a woman’s help.”  Sarah said as she walked over to Rektor.  She stopped just before reaching the snow mound.  “Now, what do you say?”

“This really happening?  Remind me that I owe you two later.”  Rektor realizing that he had no other chance of getting out of this without help in a reasonable time looked at Sarah, Alexis and at the snow.  “Fine, Sarah can you give me a hand.”  With that Sarah reached out and cleared the snow away from Rektor’s right hand and grabbed it.  As she pulled and Rektor pushed he was finally freed.

“Oh my hero, you saved my lover.”  Alexis said while clapping for Sarah and giving her a little head bow. 

“All it took was a big strong woman Alexis.”  While saying that Sarah brought her arms up and flexed her tiny biceps to which Alexis stared and faked pant like she was turned on and whistled. 

“You two done humiliating me?” Rektor cleared the snow as best he could from his clothes.

“For now” Both women said with a laugh as they realized they said it together.  The rest of the day went rather smoothly.  Alexis learned what snow was and caused by, Rektor got a new set of clothes from the guards which accompanied Sarah.  They traveled back to where Sarah and her group had retreated to after the last battle.  Rektor elected to take Sarah’s spot in the vehicle and couldn’t help but ask the guards a thousand questions about their technology.  The first question was what was that wonderful heating device coming from the vehicle making it nice and toasty. 

Alexis had offered Sarah a ride on her shoulder.  Sarah jumped at the chance, literally which made Alexis laugh.  As Alexis walked behind the vehicle she and Sarah talked about men.  Alexis would ask what Sarah knew about this thing called marriage before growth occurred.  What a wedding ring was and why did Rektor’s father gave them.  Why Rektor was sometimes bothered when Alexis would hold him or act very protective around him.  Alexis thought Rektor was just compensating and being immature but when Sarah said men have a drive to protect in her world and before growth it must be different for Rektor knowing that he can’t protect his lover because of the sizes in the world.  Knowing that he must be dependent upon her almost hundred percent in a fight or battle.  It was at this point that both the ladies fell silent for only a moment.  But in that moment, they realized how hard it may have been for Rektor to ask for help when he was stuck in the snow.  He’d never admit it, but it may have hurt him emotionally.  Something that Alexis thought she would talk about that night. 

It took three hours of travel but the group finally reached the new headquarters, a place they called Narn.  It was massive and even had enough room for Alexis to crawl inside.  Rektor had a hot meal and shower.  Something he was unaccustomed too along with a fresh set of clothes which had an emblem on it of a person holding a ball and appearing to be jumping.  When asked what, it meant a guard said it was of Michael Jordan a person who was known in the past for jumping.  The guard replied that Sarah had these clothes specially made for him. 

Alexis lied down comfortably taking in the whole room.  It was the first time she had seen artificial light and to be honest it was a lot to take in for her.  It was at this point that the children crept out from hiding and slowly made their way to Alexis.  As Sarah and her men got down to discussing events with Rektor and asking questions that Alexis had her own questions to answer.

The children slowly approached and Alexis saw that her upper front torso had been surrounded.  She had never seen anyone this small before.  Female babies taken from the gatherings were always five to seven feet tall and the smaller male babies were always kept separately in her clan.  She was never allowed to see them.  Finally, one with a soft and scarred voice decided to ask a question.

“How did you get so big?”  The little child asked. 

“I’m not sure, I am who I am and I’m happy for that.”  Alexis replied.

“Ever move a mountain?”  Another asked.

“No, I’m not that big.” Alexis could tell this was going to be a like the game twenty questions however she wouldn’t be able to ask any.  After about thirty minutes of the children asking questions and few brave enough to climb upon her hand a guard came and told them it was time for dinner.  A sigh of relief came upon Alexis and she was still annoyed when a child asked her how much she weighed.  She slowly gathered her thoughts as to what to say to Rektor about earlier.  She didn’t have to wait long as he appeared out of the room with Sarah.

“Rektor can we talk in private.”  As she motioned to the large doors.  The two exited the facility and took a walk.  The cold never bothered Alexis and looking at the clothes Rektor was now wearing it appeared that he was doing fine as well.  The walked about a half a mile when Alexis slowly lowered herself and sat Indian style on the ground with Rektor taking his normal spot upon her right knee. 

“I think I may have taken the joke a little too far today.  I didn’t mean to slight you or disrespect you in any way.  I love you and I know it must be hard being your size.”  Rektor looked away and Alexis fell silent.

“It is hard, I am the size of your hand at best.”  A cold chill ran across Rektor’s face as he picked up a box from his back pack.  “I know you can protect me, that is easy.  Hell, you standing up tall and proud for the most part will protect me.  What can I do?”

“What do you mean what can you do?”  Alexis leaned in trying to use her fingers to comfort him on his shoulder but before they could touch his shoulder he had leapt and landed on her left knee.  “I am powerless in the world to protect the one I love.  Today was fun and I laughed but it is just a reminder that I can’t protect you.  It is something that I will deal with by myself because I don’t want to burden you with my short comings.  You’re so beautiful and strong and I will not allow this insecurity of mine to hurt you.”  Rektor said.

“But if it hurts you it hurts me as well.”  Alexis countered.  She knew that this conversation was hurting both but she felt it was something they needed to talk about before it festered.  It was at this point she noticed the box.  “Rektor, what’s the box you’re holding?”

“It was given to me by my father when I was banished.  Said my mother gave it to him to give to me when she knew I was a leaper and given a death sentence.  He doesn’t know what’s saying it wasn’t his place to find out.  The last thing he said about it was that my mother said if I figured out how to open the box I would know when to open it.  Whatever that meant.” 

“Well, can you open it?”  Alexis said peaking an eyebrow.

“Yes, I found a key but I don’t know when.”  Rektor said holding up the key he had made for the box.

“Why not now?”  Alexis pointed at the box with her massive finger.

“I don’t know, is this the moment?” 

“How do you know it is or isn’t the moment?  Maybe you showing me the box is the moment.”  Alexis wasn’t going to force the issue but she did want to know why a woman would give a gift to her son.  Those things are unheard of in her former clan.

Rektor looked into the big beautiful eyes of Alexis and slowly entered the key into the keyhole.  He turned the key making a crackle as the old tumblers of the lock to turn.  Finally, the door of the box opened.  Inside Rektor saw something he would have never guessed. 

“What is it or are you going to have your mouth open for an hour?”  Alexis quietly asked.

“It’s a picture of a man who looks like me, and he is hugging a woman who is shorter than her.  They look to be in love.”  Rektor held the picture up and with squinting eyes Alexis looked at the picture being held by Rektor.  As Rektor looked back into the box he saw a piece a paper with faint writing on it.  “There’s a note as well, I can make it out if the sun doesn’t set to fast.”

“What does it say?”  Alexis leaned I closer to listen.

“Shannon,

By the time you find this I will be gone. 

The time I have been blessed with you has been the happiest of my life.  I remember the years ago when I could hold you in my arms.  Our wedding day when we gave our vows and you cried the whole way as I was fighting back my tears.  I remember the birth of our twin little girls.  I will always love you.  I will always remember the first time you held me in your palm because of the event but didn’t demean my size.  How our little girls grew to ten feet tall in just two years.  I’ll always remember how you still treated me as an equal even when you grew past 50 feet.  When so many women killed their husbands, or made them become their slaves.  I always had your respect and love, you always made the girls listen to me and said I was the man of the house when so many treated their men like pets.  I will always love you.  Now that women have taken over the government and the relocation day is upon us I have realized that you can’t protect me anymore from this world.  I have become a burden to you and our children which I can’t allow.  With this relocation act all men will be rounded up and any woman found harboring will be severely punished.  I know you said it didn’t matter the punishment you would endure for me but I won’t tolerate that for you or the girls.  I have given this a lot of thought Shannon and I know I haven’t been able to protect you.  The incident with the neighbor made that apparent as my arms are now just becoming healed and you had to fight my fight for me.  There is only one gift I can still give you, in my leaving I will protect you and the girls.  This is a decision I make with a heavy heart knowing that I can’t change the world and it is never going back to what it was.  Please save yourself the trouble in looking for me, I spent enough time in the wilderness to survive and I know how to go unnoticed I will survive.  I will always remember and cherish the moments I held you in my arms until I die.  I wish there was another way and please forgive me for my actions.  I will always love you but I can’t bear to see what would happen if I stayed.  Tell the girls that daddy will always love them and to listen to their mother or daddy would be upset.  Tell them that he will always remember them and please when they struggle sleeping when they find out that daddy has gone read them Winnie the Pooh it is their favorite bed time story.  Tell them I am so proud of them and know they will become amazing ladies as they grow.  I must leave now, before I go I’m going to kiss you on the cheek like I have always done.  You never woke when I kissed you on the cheek since the first time I did it.  But you will do that cute smile like always.  I will always love you!

                                                                                                                                                Love,

                                                                                                                                                Kevin.

 

Alexis looked down upon Rektor and saw how his shoulders had fallen.  He placed the note back into the box with the picture and slowly closed the door.  Rektor fought back the tears he felt for this Kevin.  In all reality Kevin, had given himself a death sentence back then to be caught after the relocation day.  But he did it all, he gave it all just to save his family.  Could he do that himself? 

“Rektor look at me!”  Alexis said while crying.  “You can’t leave me, he did what he thought was right but dammit, what’s right for you is to be with me.”

“I know Alexis, but he was right to a point.  I’ll be here for you and I’ll do anything I can to protect you.”

“Leaving is not protecting, maybe back then but not now.”  Alexis offered her hand and Rektor walked slowly to it, the fingers wrapped around him and she brought him up to her chest.  The two-held on to each other.  But both couldn’t stop thinking of the note and why his mother thought it would be best for him to have.