- Text Size +

Each and every one in the group was trained and experienced enough to survive in the tundra and yet these expeditions would always bring them to their limits. It wasn’t so much the low temperatures; the northern folk were used to them, but the rough terrain that made travelling tedious and exhausting in both physical and mental ways. Nevertheless they were ahead of schedule and had left the icy peaks behind them earlier that day. So far they had not encountered any predators, but Kyra was well aware that chances were that sooner rather than later, they certainly would. She was walking in front of the others, leading the way with Nessi right behind her. Kyra was impressed with how well she handled the conditions. It had been more than a year since their last mission together and back then, Nessi used to complain a lot and often times fall behind the squad. On this expedition however, Nessi proved to be as stern and persistent as the rest of them. As the sun was setting, they were about to enter unmapped territory and snowfall began to set in. Every man and woman of inquiry knew what perils the snowfall could bring. Not only would it handicap their vision, thereby allowing predators more adapted to the conditions to sneak up on them, but it could also turn into a blizzard and majorly restrict their movement. If caught by a blizzard in the open, chances were they’d freeze to death before they could even build a camp.

»We need to get off the ice and find some shelter. I believe I’ve seen some rock formations a couple of miles westwards«, Nessi said and pointed in the direction of a few vague shadows in the distance, barely visible in the snowfall. The others agreed and at a higher pace they marched on westwards. No word was spoken among them as they tried to fight their exhaustion. Wind was rising up and the snowfall became denser. Kyra was aware they wouldn’t make it to the rock formation in time before the blizzard would take away their sight entirely. Every step they took became harder than the last and the wind seemed more than indecisive about its blowing angle. Philian’s face started to feel numb and his arms and legs began to hurt severely. Giving up was not an option for a man of inquiry, yet hope began to fade away. He couldn’t make out the shapes of Nessi and his sister anymore who were supposed to be walking in front of him. Slowly he started to panic, had he lost his way? Turning around, he looked for the other four who had been close behind him moments ago but he didn’t spot any of them. »Oy! Where are you guys?« He yelled yet seemingly to no avail. The sound of the wind blowing was too loud. Philian’s mind was racing as the risk of walking into the wrong direction was high, but to stay where he was would mean certain death.

There once was a light in the sky

Beautiful but alone

Never knew that it shone

And lighted many a way

Nessi’s beautiful voice pierced through the noise, her song, like a lighthouse, guiding lost ships safely back to shore. It took but a short time for Philian to figure out where it came from and with new found spirit he pressed forward, almost running into the rock formation behind which his mates had found shelter. On the other side he found the cove where the others were already preparing a camp. It offered protection from the wind and only little snow made its way into it.

»You truly are a guiding star Nessi!« Philian exclaimed, approached and hugged her. All of their faces were pretty much frozen so no one could see her blush slightly. Everyone had made it and within minutes the camp was operational. They would ride out the blizzard and thanks to the amazing property of mammoth wool, to never be too wet to be lighted, even managed to build a small fire. Bringing dry sticks, mammoth wool and flints on an expedition into the tundra was mandatory if you planned on surviving.

As they waited for the snowfall to fade, something in the stone-surface of the cove seemed to have caught Kyra’s attention. Philian followed her gaze and too noticed something odd. »That looks like a map carved into the surface don’t you think?« he said as he examined the lines that were far too symmetrical and straight to be the result of common erosion. Furthermore there seemed to be symbols, barely recognizable, carved in next to certain features. »It appears that this circle here marks the location we’re at… Look down here someone carved the symbol for mountain. I bet that’s supposed to mark the icy peaks to the south. And up here, the symbol for caves, that’s where we were headed before the blizzard hit.« Nessi now stated as she carefully examined it.

»So the caverns are not too far from here in the north-east? Maybe half a day’s journey?« Silias joined in on the conversation. Nessi pointed at a strange symbol to the left. »I can’t quite make out what this is supposed to mean. To the north-west of here, whoever carved this marked something else. It resembles the symbol for a significant finding. But could also just be a warning to stay away from there. Maybe a lion’s lair?« Nessi speculated. »Only one way to find out…«, Taras joked but was dumbfounded when Kyra nodded in agreement.

»Do you remember who was last to explore the areas in this territory?« Kyra said and turned to Philian. »Uncle Andras… He never returned«, he whispered. Andras had been like a father to them ever since their mother and father died when they were little. Six years ago, when Philian and Kyra had come of age, Andras, after a long time, went on his first expedition and headed for this territory and never came back. After another year his wife, Aunt Helena, went looking for him but she too vanished. Kyra was the first to lead an expedition into this territory after five years. Now Philian began to suspect that his sister did have ulterior motives about this mission from the very start. »The seven us are among the most skilled men and women of inquiry. Now we have the opportunity to shed some light onto the mystery that is Andra’s and Helena’s disappearance and hopefully find great treasures in the process«, Kyra argued. Philian knew there was no point in trying to convince her otherwise and so did the others. »Snowfall is fading, let’s give it another hour and be on our way then« Silias stated and winked at Kyra who smirked back at him. »Oh get a room already…« Nessi said in a pretend annoyed fashion.

Neither Taras nor Lysann or Mathias seemed very happy with the course their expedition had taken but they complied and started to prepare for departure. Philian sat quietly leaned against the wall of stone and thought about the family he and his sister used to have. His Memories of their parents were fuzzy but Uncle Andras and Aunt Helen had taken good care of them. From her he had learned how to use bow and crossbow, how to mix inflammable liquids in order to craft small portable bombs and flaming arrows. Andras had taught him the Arts of navigation and gathering as well as hand-to-hand combat. In many ways the two of them had made him the man of inquiry he was today. Her talent for leadership, Kyra had inherited from her mother as uncle Andras used to say but it went to fruition with the guidance of Aunt Helen. Nessi seated herself close to him and put an arm around his shoulder.

»I believe that the two of you are not haunted by the ghosts of your past but rather by the treacherous grasp of uncertainty.« She said in a low but soothing inflexion.

»I’m not haunted you know… I’m mostly worried about my sister. Closure could do her good but who knows what we might find or not find if we go through with this. Andras and Helena were fighters, extraordinary ones for that matter, not even Kyra can live up to their talent. Maybe they’ve both died in a blizzard, we find their corpses preserved in the ice, but maybe they’ve fallen victim to something else, something worse. We’re taking an unnecessary risk Nessi you know that…« Philian explained his thoughts.

She gently stroked his shoulder with her hand and then gave him a kiss on his cheek. »Men and women of inquiry are supposed to take risks for the sake of their families, friends, clans, or… loved ones« she said, only whispering the last part. Nessi got up and walked away to help Lysann and Mathias taking down the encampment. Philian sat there for a while, thinking about what had just happened and how he was supposed to feel about it. He watched Nessi, a small but nevertheless very pretty gal. She didn’t possess the kind of beauty his sister had inherited from their mother, was a bit more chubby and more rough around the edges but unique in a very compelling way. It was her character, her way with people and her situational wisdom that had made him often wonder, whether she and he would make a good match. She had given him signs before that she was interested but she also knew that he had a special bond with his sister and that she’d always be a priority to him.

»Stop staring into the void brother o’ mine! help out so we can get going« His sister yelled after a while and reluctantly he got up to pack up his things. He pulled out the dagger, forged from southern steel, he inherited from his father. He had polished it every day ever since he had gotten it and the reflection of the sun, no more shrouded by clouds of storm, warmed his face.