- Text Size +

The group of seven now headed north-west from the rock formation that had provided shelter from the storm. Nessi had brought pen and ink to map the areas, so every now and then they had to pause, so she could draw makeshift maps and write notes about their travel. Since the blizzard had passed, the sky was clear and the sun kept up their spirits. The scenery was beautiful and Philian noticed that Nessi also made some elaborate sketches of their environment. Lysann and Mathias held hands, making it seem like they were on a romantic stroll along the fjords back home.

Silias was walking side by side with Kyra trying to silently express his affection towards her by establishing minor physical contact every once in a while. But Kyra didn’t prove very responsive to his advances. She was lost in thoughts about her family’s fate. Soon they left the frozen sea and mountains became visible in the far. Some tales told of the mighty cordillera, the God’s Retreat at the end of the world. It was common belief that from the peaks of these Mountains, the gods of old watched over all the lands. Of course people knew that the world didn’t end behind these mountains. Most believed that if you kept walking north, eventually you’d arrive in the southern lands, but even most men and women of inquiry had never even gotten the privilege to see the mountain range from afar. It was a beautiful sight, no doubt. Philian wondered where one would end up if walking westwards, never stopping, and never changing directions.

Stories told of a great sea in the west, not a frozen one like the one in the north, that separated this land from another, entirely unmapped continent. Philian loved ships, well the abstract concept of them at least. He had never seen a real ship, only the small fisher boats they used in the north and some drawings from southern painters, which had found their ways up here.

»Hey Nessi? Do you think that one day you’ll see the ocean in the west, maybe even cross it?« He asked and perceptibly startled her with his question as she had been concentrating on a sketch that now seemed to be ruined. »You can’t sneak up on me like that you imbecile« she exclaimed and Philian reflexively backed off little. »Apo…Apologies«, he stammered and was relieved as her frown turned upside down. »It’s alright you just startled me… that’s all. Regarding your question… I’m pretty sure I will one day, both see and cross that ocean. What about you?« She said in a forgiving manner. »I’m not sure if I’ll get the opportunity to but I like to believe I will too…« He answered truthfully. She looked up from her sketchbook and smiled at him. »You know, once we’re back home, why don’t we make plans tog…« She began but was interrupted by a familiar and menacing sound.

»Incoming!« Kyra shouted and pointed towards fast-moving shapes to their east. Philian took his bow, an arrow from his quiver and aimed at the shapes closest to them. They were sabre-toothed lions, at least four of them and quite large ones too. Nessi withdrew to the back, as she knew that she was the weakest link but still she pulled out a set of throwing knives and took position. Kyra had already shot three arrows before the rest of the group had so much as pulled out their weapons. Sabre-tooth lions could reach a height of almost eight feet and a weight of more than four-hundred pounds and yet they were as fast and agile as the wolves of the north. Even a well-aimed arrow wouldn’t stop a beast like that.

»We should retreat westwards to elevated grounds. I believe there are more coves or even caves, that are easier to defend!« Mathias yelled. Mathias has always had a good intuition on how to use ones environment in case of combat. But it was too late, the Lion’s would get to them faster than the group could ever reach the higher ground. They took every shot they could and then pulled out their melee weapons and prepared for the attack. None of the lions had fallen so far but for some reason, they seemed to slightly change their direction.

Philian watched in confusion as the Lions ran straight past them, only a couple of yards separating them from what they should have realised was relatively easy prey. It didn’t take long for him to realise what was going on and when another noise became audible on the wind, Philian’s suspicion was confirmed. He had never heard this sound himself, but it was described by the few who survived an encounter with its source as a terrible squeal that would shake you up to your very core. Philian turned pale…

»Run!« He screamed and without paying any more attention to the lions which were just as afraid as them, the others turned westwards and ran. Seemingly out of nowhere a huge shadow manifested behind them, a creature emerged, scaled in ice, walking on two acanthaceous legs that supported the weight of its massive body and with a reptilian head that resembled an alligator. Its sudden appearance caused the ground to shake. It was easily more than fifteen-feet in height and the hands on its four giant arms had long menacing claws.

A fully grown ice-devil from the old ages; not many of them were left, as to survive they required an amount of food, the tundra could barely provide. Its eyes were of a glowing piercing blue and while these creatures were believed to be sentient and comparatively clever, they were predators after all and predators of this kind always choose their prey wisely. As it considered whom to chase, the group of explorers managed to get a head start and ran towards the higher ground hoping to find some sort of hiding place. The earth continued trembling when the ancient creature began its hunt and none of the men and women of inquiry so much as dared to even look back. It was said that one look into the monsters eye would turn you into solid ice and while still conscious you’d be devoured by the beast and die an everlasting and painful death in its icy belly. Kyra was the first to climb the elevated ground and spot what seemed to be the entrance to a cave. She signalled the others with a hand sign to follow her as she ran towards it.

Another squeal from the creature behind them filled them with terror as the rest of the group caught up to her. The shrieking noise was followed by the roar of a lion that was dying in agony as the ice-devil had reached its prey of choice. Philian was visibly relieved but danger had not yet passed. It was not a cave deep enough to keep them safe but there was a crevice in the earth that seemed to lead underground. Philian could see the discomfort in Nessi’s face but there was but one choice to make and time was of the essence.

Without any further ado Kyra climbed down and kept leading the way. The others followed hastily and soon all seven of them found themselves underground. There was but the little bit of light that came through the crevice and in the distance they could hear the devil’s feast. Still worried that the beast might somehow be able to get to them, they crawled deeper until they reached the opening to a massive hollow approximately more than forty feet beneath the surface. »I think I found access to a cavern. Maybe it’s connected to the northern system and allows us to avoid that foul beast.« Mathias whispered his voice however low it was, echoing in the dark.

The others murmured words of approval and together they descended down into the cavern. A five-foot drop concluded their efforts and finally they could stand upright again. Even Nessi managed the fall quite elegantly and immediately began searching what she had left of her equipment after the flight for material to build a makeshift torch. Fortunately she still had everything required and after a short while the comforting flames of a torch lighted their surroundings. The cavern’s ceiling was high above them and multiple tunnels led different ways. Taras turned around; inspecting their environment and stumbling backwards couldn’t suppress a scream as he laid eyes on something unseen and unheard of to his people. »What is it Taras?« Kyra exclaimed and looked at where he was pointing. They all backed off a little as they saw what was frozen, yet perfectly preserved in a wall of ice on the other end of the cavern.

»What in the name of the elder gods is this?« Lysann whispered.