- Text Size +

»Mother of mine and council of the lair, I bring forth to you, the intruders«, Modgudr spoke and bowed to the nine giantesses who, including Halja, formed the council.

»Ease up dottir o’ mine, this shan’t be a trial and for the moment at least, these young humans are our guests and you will treat them with respect. Is that understood?« Halja replied and while Modgudr obviously wanted to object, she just nodded and took a few steps back and let Kyra, who would act as the spokesperson for their group, pass.

»Lady of Old, council of the lair, please forgive me if my parlance does not meet your expectations just yet. I have yet to become familiar with your rules and ways of conduct.« Kyra spoke, visibly nervous as she looked around the many fierce expressions on the giantesses’ faces.

»Your efforts are remarkable and more than appreciated my child. I have been looking forward to talking to you again and it would be a shame if your fear of offending our customs would impair our conversation. Speak freely and you shall not regret it, dear.« Halja spoke and while still looking grim, the other giantesses nodded in agreement.

Philian noticed that while his sister had begun to talk, more and more giantesses had entered the hall and taken seats on the various terraces and loges. Was this some sort of public event? What did the population of this place expect of this audience?

»Thank you, Lady Halja, for giving me the opportunity to speak on behalf of my companions and possibly on behalf of our villages in the north. And thank you for the hospitality you have shown us. Our travels have been both tedious and dangerous, if it wasn’t for Andvaka and your benevolence we might have met an unfortunate end.« Kyra continued, trying her best not to be the one starting potential negotiations.

Halja just looked at the small woman, barely reaching up to her ankles and smiled.

»Usually I don’t like to interfere with Blákaldur’s affairs, but you’ve done us a great service by bringing home my daughter and rarely have I met a human as bold and yet polite as yourself, Kyra of the Fawk-Clan.« She eventually replied once again leaving the group yet again surprised with her knowledge.

»I must apologise, I believe I didn’t properly introduce myself, or my friends for that matter, but it seems that somehow you already know who we are?« In disbelief, Kyra phrased her statement as a question, hoping it would not offend the goddess.

A small burst of laughter erupted from Halja; loud enough to echo through the hall, but it was a sound most warm and kind to the ear. »For the moment you shouldn’t worry yourself with what I do or do not know child. Just be sure that I am not easily deceived and do not take kindly to any attempts to do so. Your names and a proper introduction however, would only be necessary if you were to stay with us. But you have no intention to do so, do you Kyra?« Halja answered, her icy blue eyes now fixed on Kyra, seemingly inspecting her every move and maybe even more than that.

Kyra’s nervousness turned into discomfort as Halja was not giving her any information whatsoever on what her intentions were or what she expected to come of this audience but pushed her to reveal her own. »You’re right I fear… our villages need help and it is our responsibility to gather supplies and bring them home. The ice-devil, Blákaldur as you call him, interfered with our plans and forced us to seek refuge. But we would like to resume our mission as soon as possible« Kyra stated well aware that Halja would probably see right through her bold lie. And as if to confirm her suspicion, Halja frowned, her gaze suddenly feeling like an icy breeze to the young woman.

»After all you’ve been through, all you’ve seen, you would still try to make your way to the northern cave-system to hunt for the scraps your ancestors left behind in the ice? Forgive me child but I find it hard to believe that…« Halja said, the sound of her voice had changed. Both she and Kyra were well aware of the little game they were playing and it seemed that Kyra was struggling. Philian looked at Nessi who had been keeping an eye on him because she knew that he would have a hard time to just stand and watch while their fate rested in Kyra’s hands. Nessi shook her head anticipating that he was close to interfering. Kyra closed her eyes for a second and took a deep breath before opening them again and looking straight into Halja’s eyes.

»I’m getting tired of this game Lady Halja. We both know what it is we need to discuss and I’m pretty sure you are well aware of our intentions, while we have no clue about yours. I know we are not in any position to make demands but I would appeal to the very same kindness you’ve shown us by granting us asylum. Could you spare some of your resources and help us find a safe way southwards? Both we and our villages would owe you a debt of gratitude« Kyra asked with new found determination.

The expression on the giantesses face lightened up and she smiled. »Now this is the way a proud woman talks. Tell me Kyra of the Fawk-Clan, is the north still led by old men too proud to recognize the strength of women like you?« Halja replied not giving an answer to Kyra’s question.

Kyra thought about her answer for a while. Maybe it wouldn’t be wise to give away political information like that, but on the other hand the question could’ve been of rhetorical nature. »Well… yes…«Kyra began but was interrupted by Nessi, who suddenly stood next to her and answered on her behalf: »Yes and no… While the north remains a patriarchy in its political structure, Our talents and strengths do not go unrecognised. Kyra here is the leader of this expedition after all and well respected among both elders and peers!«.

Apparently surprised by this bold move, Halja and the other giantesses of the council looked at her. »Nessi it is, right?« Halja asked. Suddenly regretting her impulsive choice, Nessi was unsure what to say now and just nodded, trying to avoid looking into the giantesses eyes.

No need to be so shy now child. I’m sure it must have taken a lot of courage to speak up for your people here, but we have seen many a century by now and while I don’t doubt that your fearless leader is well respected among both men and women, the injustice is rooted deep within your people”. The look in Halja’s eyes was difficult to interpret as it paradoxically seemed to be warm at cold at the same time. Nessi struggled to find a suitable response and remained quiet as Kyra put a hand on her shoulder and gently pulled her back.

Yes our society is flawed, but it has gotten better with every generation and it is my dream to bring change to our lands. But the situation is dire and a good leader, no matter if man or woman, has to tend to the needs of their subjects. There can be no change if the people of our land are starving”, Kyra said well aware that she was laying it on a little thick, but it got Halja’s attention.

 The attention of her and the rest of the council shifted to Kyra again and Halja smirked. “You remind me of someone child and I must say your determination appeals to me.”, she said, instantly getting Kyra’s undivided attention.

remind you of who…” she whispered. Halja tilted her head a little bit, the expression in her eyes still difficult to interpret. “I am tempted to agree to your terms Kyra of the Fawk-Clan, but surely you understand that I would risk the irrevocable exposure of my people and this place to the outside world and I am not quite ready to take that risk just yet.”, Halja spoke, ignoring Kyra’s question.

But you said it yourself and I believe you, that you put your subjects’ safety above anything else, so I’ll propose a deal… I will grant you both, plentiful supplies and safe passage southwards…” she continued and the group of humans couldn’t quite believe it. Even Kyra’s attention was pulled back to the matter at hand.

“Really?”, she asked in disbelief not waiting for her to finish.

“…but you will leave behind some of your friends as a…safety precaution”, Halja concluded her sentence and watched in anticipation when one after another her guests turned pale as she had expected. Nessi instinctively took a few steps back in an impulse to draw less attention to her. None of the group of adventurers was particularly fond of the idea to be left behind except Taras who had developed a certain fascination for this place for rather transparent reasons and even he had his concerns. Kyra remained quiet, pale and with single drops of sweat on her face she stared at Halja who seemed to be serious about this proposition. With no Nessi to hold him back, Philian now was fed up with seeing his sister under so much pressure and marched up to the throne.

With all due respect lady Halja, I stood back silent while you two were discussing our fate, because I wanted to honour your customs, but a decision like that concerns us all and there is no way we can accept this deal. We…” He was interrupted in his ambitious speech when Halja suddenly stood up from her throne and took an energetic step into his direction, the floor trembling under her weight. In the flickering lights of the torches that lighted the hall, the goddess casted a shadow over the young man who compared to her, seemed like an insect.

“You again hmm? I thought I told you that your kind has no voice here”, she said and her voice became slightly more menacing. Philian took a step back and looked at her foot which was a little too close for comfort for him. A gulp was audible before he spoke up again: “We choose leaders for organisational purposes and to coordinate and combine the various voices with experience and talent no matter whether on the level of a task-force like this one or on the scale of an entire country, but we still are a team, a family where each life matters as much as the next. I realise that you don’t think highly of men like me here… but this decision concerns all of us…” he finished and in anticipation of being stomped by the goddess, backed away even further.

“Philian of the Fawk-Clan… you are Kyra’s twin-brother, the first born child even, am I right?” She asked, her inflexion making it clear that this question was of rhetorical nature. Philian just nodded, this was not the time to question her source of knowledge about them. “I can see it in your eyes and in the way you try to create distance between the two of us, that you were scared of what I might do to you if you spoke up… and rightly so. If you were someone else I probably would have already… “ , she paused for a second before continuing. “But you are a curious little male… A prodigy of the tribe yourself and yet you would rather do anything to see your sister succeed instead of striving for power yourself”.

It didn’t matter how she could possibly know this, she was right. And deep in his heart he had always known that one day there would come a moment like this one, where his allegiance to his sister would be under trial. The colour returned to his face and a smile formed on his lips as he stepped closer to the goddess again.

“I will stay behind willingly if you agree to let the others go. I should be enough of a safety-precaution don’t you think, Lady Halja?” He said. The goddess smirked and without a warning picked the tiny man up with her right hand, lifting him up until he was on eye-level with her. It proved impossible for Philian to keep his composure as he looked into her piercing eyes and then down towards her enormous mouth, big enough to easily devour him whole. As if she had read his thoughts, her mouth now opened, revealing the dark and humid cave, adorned by a set of menacing teeth. Her tongue far bigger than the miniscule Philian, now playfully licked over her lips, her warm breath washed over him like the hot gusts of air in the southern deserts he had read about. Fear took hold of him and the image of being eaten alive by this powerful entity and not being able to do anything about it, conquered his mind and was all he could think about.

Pl…Plea…Please”, he stuttered as she gently touched his face with the tip of her tongue, covering him in saliva. The others just watched in shock as Halja demonstrated that their friend was at her mercy alone. The moment lasted for a couple of seconds longer before she slowly pulled her tongue back in and closed her mouth, only to give Philian an impish smile. “I accept your offer, Philian of the Fawk-Clan”, she whispered but her voice, coming from such close proximity, still boomed in his ears.  

Carefully she put him down in front of his friends and looked at Kyra who couldn’t believe what just happened.

The one eyed’s grasp seems weak on your brother. I can only hope that there are more men like him in your lands. So it is decided…” Halja spoke but was interrupted when suddenly Taras raised his voice.

If Philian stays, so will I!... if you let me…” He yelled up at her, becoming less secure at the end of the sentence. Murmurs spread throughout the hall as the many giantesses, even those on the council, heard yet another male speak up to their mistress. Halja looked at Taras and laughed.

“My my… Taras, who, despite the dangers it holds for his kind, has in his heart already found a spot for this, my realm. I would not want to deny you your wish, you too will remain here. Now before there are any more unwanted interruptions, are there any more of you, who wish to stay with their companions?” Halja said and now looked specifically at Nessi who seemed to struggle with herself. Philian walked up to her and put both his hands on her shoulders.

I will be alright starshine, the others will need your help getting back to the village”, he said but still appeared a bit shaken up by what just had happened. Nessi looked him into the eyes and put her hands on his cheeks, gently wiping away some of the leftover saliva from his face.

I…just…” she started but stopped mid-sentence when she realised she couldn’t put this to words properly. Instead of finishing it, she now put her arms around his neck, pulled his face closer to hers and gave him a passionate kiss. Kyra watched the two of them, still visibly overwhelmed with how this situation had developed over such short time. She couldn’t possibly leave behind her brother, but did she really have another choice now? Halja as well as her brother and Taras seemed to have made their minds up while she had been unable to react properly. As she noticed, that she was close to breaking out in tears, she managed to pull herself together and suppressed her emotions as she had done so many times before when it was necessary. She turned around to her brother and looked at him with an empty expression.

“This isn’t over yet brother…”