- Text Size +

Tuesday Day 2: Unplanned Circumstances

 

            I got up earlier then usual today. I walked over to my closet and put on my favorite suit. I called it my power suit because I always felt like I had bit of chip on my shoulder when I had it on.

 

            Once it was fully on I looked in the mirror and noticed that the suit was a little too big. As I looked over at Katie and I was quite irate but held back my anger knowing that she was feeling bad enough. I looked at the clock and figured that it would just be a few minutes that I would be at the office anyway.

 

“Honey I have to get going but enjoy your flight dear?”

“So early? Thanks I will call you when I get there.”

 

            I started walking down the hallway when I saw Kirsten walking out of her room wearing sweat pants that say Prep across the ass and a white gap t-shirt. Her hair was messy and looked un kept. Her steel grey eyes looked down the hall at me. She waved hello as she headed into the bathroom.

 

            Kristen was my eldest stepdaughter.  She was your typical teen. Spending too much time at the mall and not enough on her school work, She spent many evenings on the phone or out with her friends. I was always surprised about how responsible she was for her age. She was a well organized and a neat person. She babysat for many of my co-workers. We had reasonably good relationship even though she sees me more as a friend then her father a lot of time. She is very self conscious. Kirsten, is a very pretty girl but she is a little on the shorter side being only 5’4”

 

“Oh Martin, I am going out with Alex tonight so don’t wait up K?”

 

            It didn’t register at first, I was nearly down the stairs when I stopped turned around and went back up the stairs. I pounded on the bathroom door for several minutes before it swung open. Kirsten’s dark brown hair was dripping wet and she had a towel around her pert breasts.

 

“Yeah Martin?”

 

“Would you please call me dad.”

 

“Sorry, I keep forgetting. Its just you look so young.”

 

“Thanks, but anyway what is this about you and Alex?”

 

“Oh, its nothing epidemic so don’t worry. We are just going out.”

 

“Is he that skater boy?”

 

“Yes, he is so cute.”


”I thought your mother and I told you that we didn’t want you seeing him.”

 

“I didn’t think you were serious.”

 

“Well look, I don’t have time to discuss this in committee but you aren’t seeing him and that’s final.”

 

            I could hear Kirsten pleading with me as I walked back down the stairs but I would have none of that. I left and hurried off to work to try to finish a few things up before anyone else got there.

 

            As I walked in I immediately sighed in disbelief as I remembered that today was the day for the mandatory company physicals. This being the last thing I wanted take part in today I tried to hurriedly walk by but I was caught by one of the nurses who showed me into one of the cubicles.

 

“Sorry Mr. Matson but you know its company policy for everyone to get a physical once a year.”

 

“Yeah, yeah let’s just get it over with.”

 

            I walked over and stood on this rubber floor mat looking thing with a digital clock embedded into it. As I stood up straight the nurse measured me.

 

“You’re pretty tall for a nurse. I haven’t seen many nurse’s who are 6’1”

 

“Oh don’t be ridiculous, I am only 5’8”.

 

“No you must be 6’1” You’re the same height as me.”

 

“Yes, I am and your 5’8”

 

“Look I am in no mood to be joked with I’m 6’1” 243lbs.”

 

“Mr. Matson you are probably just stressed with the recent events and I wouldn’t blame you for being confused. You’re 5’8” 200lbs”

 

            I left the office upset and thinking how this day keeps getting worse and worse. First Katie ruins my favorite suit, Kirsten is upset about not being able to see Skater boy, and I have this damn nurse telling me I’m not 6’1”. That’s just crazy. I think I know my own height.


  I stormed out of the cubicle and towards the elevator. I couldn't believe that they let incompetent people like that damn nurse work for a hospital. I grabbed my cell phone.

 

    "Yeah, move to phase 2, send someone reliable to take care of phase 2, I want you taking care of Gina. got it? good"

 

          I spent the rest of the day making arrangements and clearing my schedule for a few weeks.