- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Claire and Ben catch up to Malinda who is up to something...

Chapter 20 – Causing A Ruckus 




Ben and Claire left camp looking for Phillip and Cassandra. They knew the general direction they were headed in and began their search. The camp was laid out with tents off center from one another so the ability to see long distance was cut off usually after just a small clearing. Claire and Ben hurried around until they realized they had circled the same area a few times. 




“Ugghh” Claire said, kicking a collection of small containers on the ground. She was still not cooled off from her spat with Malinda and having been frustrated by the unfamiliar lay out of the camp, it was clear she needed a moment. Ben, still up on her shoulders, had been clinging harder to her hair as his wife’s frustration was evident in how quickly she moved, regardless of the effects on him. 




“Claire, why don’t we go for a walk. It’s been a busy morning. Why don’t you talk to me about your meeting?” Ben suggested. 




Claire sighed. She had more questions from her meeting than answers. She knew what they needed from her now but had failed to really outline what exactly her role was. They made it clear their goal was paramount to any concerns she may raise. The idea that she was some sort of ambassador for Beta’s was evaporated when they showed their unwillingness to consider concessions for those affected. 




“Claire?” Ben asked again. Almost a minute had passed and Claire was lost in thought. 




“Sorry. Let’s get out of here. I haven’t eaten at all today. Want to head into town? I am sure we can find somewhere we could sit outside.” Claire suggested. 




Ben agreed. He wasn’t hungry but his wife needed him right now. She just wasn’t saying it out loud. Ben’s biggest fear regarding Claire’s changes is that she would translate the change in their physical sizes to mean more than that. Ben did not want his wife to shoulder burdens on her own now that she was ‘Alpha.’ He wanted to help her carry that burden as well. He was a prideful man, but more importantly he cared for his wife. The dynamic changed for both of them and it was important for him to demonstrate his resiliency. He wanted to prove he could be her equal. 




They both walked quietly through the park. They had made the walk so many times, and even at their altered size, it was peaceful and reminiscent of times past. As Claire cleared the trees and returned to the first buildings surrounding the park, they catch a glimpse of Malinda heading into town, walking with determination.  




“Is that Malinda?” Ben asked. 




“I think so. Let’s put lunch on hold a minute, something doesn’t seem right. Let’s head up there and see what’s going on.” Claire said, not waiting for Ben to respond. 




Claire was methodical in the way she navigated the city streets.  The street was narrow, cars parked bumper to bumper and the sidewalk was rippled with years of tree root’s pushing cement every which way. Each foot was placed down precisely as she planned, her focus kept her balanced. The only issue was it took more time than she would want. It was a small price to insure her passing through didn’t ruin a person’s day; or worse. It did nothing to help with her current frustration. Ben, who was now walking up ahead of her began hustling up to the end of the street to see if he could spot Malinda. As he looked back, Claire was focused on the ground and while he was sure she would want him to wait up, he didn’t want to lose Malinda’s trail. 




As he rounded the corner he saw, within feet of his face, two Alpha women, one speaking in a frantic tone. Ben ducked back behind the building, hoping he had not been seen. As he settled, he was able to listen in on their conversation. 




“Ok. OK!” Malinda said frustrated. It appeared she was trying to calm down the other woman. 




“I did what you said. I went and found a group of people in public, and began putting pressure on them. I started getting upset with the restaurant about taking so long, but then this mouthy Beta bit back at me and before I could teach him a lesson, the big bimbo crushed my nose.” The other woman said, still upset. 




“Big bimbo?” Malinda asked.  




“Yeah. The red head. The one your boss keeps around as a pet.” The woman responded. 




They got quiet for a moment, the other woman crying out a few times as it sounded as if Malinda was checking out her injury. 




“Well, it doesn’t look broken though it's darkening up a bit. Head back and get some ice. We have to keep the pressure up and insure no one feels comfortable. We need desperate. We need them wanting to fight back.” Malinda said. 




Ben suddenly feeling very exposed, ducked into a doorway as the other woman came flying past Malinda, around the corner. A few steps in she saw Claire, who had finally looked up from her focused footwork, only to turn and head the other way. Claire soon caught up to Ben who was back to looking around the corner. 




“I can’t believe they are just walking around town. No arrangements have been made, if one of them is careless it could be a disaster.” Claire said, thinking out loud. 




Malinda had made her way further down the street as Ben turned back to Claire. Before he could speak though, Claire started. 




“Did you see where she went? I’m hoping she's not too far.” Claire asked. 




“She’s just up to the main street up there, there’s something you...” Ben was cut off. 




“Let’s catch up to her, we will want to stop whatever she's up to!” Claire said, hustling up the street ahead of Ben. 




Ben began hurrying behind, but Claire’s strides quickly took her further up the road. Malinda was waiting at the street traffic light to cross, a Beta couple standing next to her, clearly uneasy. She had already noted Claire coming up the street behind her and a wicked grin came across her mouth. 




Bending down she addressed the Beta couple. A common greeting was exchanged, and the Beta couple was apprehensive at her sudden advance. As Claire got closer, Malinda stretched her hand out to the couple. That is all Claire needed. 




Claire vaulted forward, tackling Malinda into the wooden power cable. Her momentum and their combined size snapped it like a twig, sending it, sparks and the women into the intersection. Claire grabbed Malinda by the front of her blouse and pulled her up. Ready to pummel her she was surprised when Malinda was laugh not upset, but laughing.  The sounds of chaos began forming around them. 




Two more power lines had come down. The traffic light was powered off and multiple cars had been damaged by the falling cables and poles. One bystander was on his back, with two others helping him up. A man was crawling out of his car through a window as the doors had been damaged by the falling power lines. Sirens were heard in the distance almost instantly and the affected crowd of Betas to their side began growing in a chorus of discontent. With a simple act the entire intersection was shutdown. 




Turning her attention back to Malinda. “You... you wanted me to hit you.” 




The crowd was accompanied now by honking and some yelling. 




“Get out of town you giant bullies!” someone shouted. 




“Our town isn’t built for all of us!” another voice was heard. 




Claire and Malinda had gotten back to their feet, both surveying the scene. 




“Just fine work there Claire. I have to run, but let's do this again. Say during a parade?” Malinda said, laughing again and heading across the street. 




Claire, in a panic, began trying to help the troubled pedestrians, but as soon as she approached, met her with ire and fury. “You’ll only make it worse!” one of them said. 




Ben, finally catching up watched it all unfold from down the street. He was familiar with Malinda in how she worked. She doesn’t do something without having her best interests at heart. It appears she got exactly what she wanted. 




“Claire, let’s go, the authorities can handle this.” Ben pushed. 




“But I can help them!” Claire responded. 




“You can, but they don’t want it right now Claire.” He said, surveying the still irate drivers and pedestrians. “The best thing you can do right now is give them some space.” 




Claire was shocked how quickly her impact on the town could be devastating if she gave into an emotion. Even if she felt righteous, moving around at her size in a place not designed for her, could have long lasting implications for those around her. 




Reluctantly, Claire began apologizing and backing away. She crossed the street, same as Malinda and as she cleared the intersection, turned and went straight past the park placard showing the lake, explaining the founding of the town. Ben hustled to catch up to her. 




Claire was distraught. She felt clumsy and out of place. So much had changed in the last few days, and yet she thought she was on top of it. With just the tiniest provocation, she let her anger get the best of her. Malinda probably did deserve any bit of violence thrown her way, but not at the cost of those around. Claire was defeated. 




Ben caught up, seeing his wife, shoulders sunken. He took a few deep breaths after the brisk pace he needed, and approached Claire. 




“Claire...” Ben began. 




As soon as she heard him, she turned, and fell to her knees. The ground around reacting with a shock. She had tears forming at the corner of her eyes. “I messed up Ben!” 




Ben ran and jumped up his wife’s frame to put his arms around her neck. He squeezed as hard as he could, saying nothing. In moments, she engulfed him in her arms and began letting out her sorrow. She began breathing heavier with sniffling and her tears ran down her face to the back of Ben’s shirt. Ben, as much as the pressure began to build, continued to force his arms as hard as he could around her. She needed someone to be strong for her at that moment. Ben was going to be it no matter what. 




They sat there for some time as Claire calmed herself. Ben loosened his grip and began stroking her face. She was letting out all of the tension and fear she had tried to hide. As she calmed her breathing, she slowly pulled away from Ben. He stepped back off her thighs, looking up at his wife. She learned forward, and kissed him. Ben kissed back. 




“I’m sorry Ben. I’ve been up in the air about this from the very beginning. I got home and I spent all that time worrying about you, and while I will not let that she-devil lay another finger on you, I need to also worry about myself.” Claire stated, realizing her conclusion out loud. 




“I may not be able to stop Malinda, but you didn’t marry a slouch. We are a team, for better or worse Claire.” Ben began. He looked at his wife, still slouched over, sitting. “And honestly, this is still a for better for me.” Ben began laughing. 




Claire was caught off guard by his comment, wiping once more at her face, she slowly started laughing as well. “Better? How is this better?” 




“You are the perfect woman, Claire. There was literally no way I could find a better partner.  And now you are... well look at you. You are so much more to love.” Ben said, opening his arms to the sight of his giant wife. 




It was cheesy and she loved it. Claire started to laugh again when the sounds of another couple began hitting their ears. 




“I completely forgot we are still out in public.” Claire said suddenly. Her and Ben were now sitting quietly to see if their display had been heard. 




On the other side of the knoll a couple could be heard giggling and laughing. 




“It sounds like some kids hooking up. Let’s go peak!” Ben laughed, as he made his way up the hill. 




"Leave them alone Ben, they should have their fun!” Claire said. Ben ignored her as he clamored up the hill to see what was happening. 




There, under a tree, he saw his old work friend kissing on his wife’s new work friend. The sight was not what he expected and as he tried to duck his head down, Phillip had already made eye contact. 




The couple got quiet; Ben scolded himself under his breath. 




“Hey Ben.” they both called out.