- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Ben is ready to start the first day of his campaign.  He begins to feel confident until the recent realities are brought back into focus.

 

Chapter 5 – Campaign Season 



Ben pulled up to his house.  He got out of the car, locked it.  Walked into his home, sat down on the couch and stared out the rear windows.  The light outside indicated it was nearing lunchtime perhaps?  Ben wasn’t entirely sure. 



Shock is a very real thing. You have certain expectations in this world.  Summer will be hot; winter will be cold.  But what about a heat wave in the midst of a cold winter? Is it not hotter than expected?  Your body naturally adapts to your surroundings to make life easier, anything out of the ordinary has to be dealt with. 



Adjustments are often quick, and you often won't even notice it happening.  You only tend to notice it when something is hugely out of scope. 



Meeting Malinda without any prior knowledge hit Ben like an Avalanche cascading a mountain right onto his beach blanket during a 105-degree day.   



Ben couldn’t really find words or hear sounds for the moment.  His body and mind made sure he got home safe, but now was the time to truly understand what just happened. In his daze he played back the time he spent in Malinda’s home. 



Approaching the construction trailer, her exiting the building, entering her home, rebooting after spending the briefest moment in her Prescence.  He remembers waking up and seeing her, preparing for the shower. 



He held on that thought.  The surreal vision of her, nude, standing the steam.  It felt like a dream. Or a nightmare.  He was still trying to decide.  



The ringing in Ben’s ears was finally dropping to a less deafening volume. 



*BENNNNNNN* 



Ben snapped out of his stupor, looking up at his wife standing over him. 



Claire leaned down and felt Ben’s forehead.  He was slumped in the couch, with the color pulled from his face. “Are you ok honey?  You looked completely out of it there.  I did not even hear you come in” she added, offering him a pillow to get comfortable. 



Ben shook his head, rattling the last few pieces of his fragmented brain back into place. “Yeah... I’m fine, just the heat got to me.  Yes... The heat.”  Ben was lying to himself.  Claire knew this as well, but was more concerned for his physical deterioration, than anything else. 



Claire walked over to the sink to get Ben a glass of water.  “Look, you have a big week ahead of you, let's just relax at home, get some rest and start off the week with a good night's sleep.” 



The night went on casually as they enjoyed each other’s company.  Ben found comfort being with Claire more than anything in the world.  Having someone so supportive like Claire will be what carries him through his next challenge. 



--------- 



The Next Day 



Ben was back on the Campaign trail!  It was time to start walking the district, speaking with Locals and assuring them that he will not let their town change too fast and only for the benefit of its residents. 



Ben has an uphill battle ahead of him and he knows that.  Claire works out of town, so she is often gone in the morning and has later nights getting home.  Ben kissed her good bye before getting out of bed himself. 



When he sat up, he looked up to see a suit handpicked by his beautiful wife.  A charcoal jacket, a flag pin on the breast.  The contrast with the white shirt and red tie was a sharp, classic look.  His slacks were firmly pressed and the shoes were recently buffed.  On his nightstand was a note that simply said “You love this town; Go show them just how much. - C.” 



Ben folded the note up and put it into the jacket pocket. There was a sense of confidence he sprang out of bed with.  Ben began getting ready.  He was feeling great.  He let everything else fade away lost in the vacuum that was time with his wife.  It wasn’t until he got in the shower that he remembered Malinda.  Being removed enough from that situation today, he was ready to take this new development head on.  How?  He had no idea yet. 



Ben wanted an early start.  A spot breakfast and quick collection of his briefcase and phone, Ben headed into the center of town where he looked to park near downtown and begin talking with residents. 



Downtown was a small jump back in time.  Classic large windowed store fronts lined one-way streets.  Being in the Midwest, this town was preplanned and followed a simple grid. East to West roads alternated their direction North and South, and vice versa. Street names started with A and proceeded alphabetically on the North and South routs.  Numbers for the East and West. After just a few days being in town, you would feel comfortable getting anywhere. 



As Ben parked his car, he reached into his briefcase to get his pamphlets out, outlining his plans for future developments while highlighting his long history with the town.  Noting the streets are particularly sparse, Ben used this time to get out and enjoy a quick walk over to the coffee shop.   



Inside, a line of at least 8 were queued up to have their orders taken.  Ben pulled out his phone to quickly make sure his wife got to work ok.  She texted him each morning when she got in.  A long commute that early wasn’t necessarily dangerous, but the routine but them both at ease.  After seeing her Safe and Honey emojis he locked his phone and slid it into his pocket. 



Looking up, a few glances snapped away.  Ben had the sudden realization this was his first time in public campaigning.  The town knew it, they had made their opinions about it known.  Ben half smiled and as he got through the line heard whispers.  Nothing he could quote, but the tone enough let him know exactly how they felt.  Ben ordered a black coffee to go.  He didn’t particularly like black coffee but he wanted something quick, and he wanted out of the shop immediately. 



He made every effort not to push or offend anyone in his haste to leave.  As the door opened, he caught it with his food, giving a small smile to the couple walking in.  While they didn’t offer any inclination on how they felt towards him, his internal monologue took over, and it only made an exit more urgent. 



Looking back into the coffee shop he felt as if entire conversations had sprung up now that he was out of earshot. Walking out of the coffee shop distracted however came with a graver consequence. 



*Bam* 



Ben walked directly into a high heeled leg running up to a skirt.  Ben’s coffee went on the ground behind him and he fell, directly on his rear. 



Looking up, from a seated position into the morning sun, there she was. 



“Oh, sorry... Ben?” Malinda apologized, realizing who had run into her. 



Ben quickly got back to his feet. “Hello Malinda.” Ben said, mock dusting himself off. “What brings you into town this morning?” He noted she was dressed professionally.  Her heels matched her skirt.  She had a white collared shirt, covered with thing cotton sweater.  This however did little to hid her prodigious assets and voluptuous curves. 



“My office called last night and said the city council campaign starts this week.  We wanted to come out and show support for you.  You are one of the key reasons we were able to invest and start building here after all.” Malinda said, fingering through her clutch, fishing out a business card. 



It was larger than Ben’s cellphone.  Not wanting to gawk, he quickly stuffed it into the same pocket as the note from his wife.  Feeling the note as he glided the card into place, he instantly felt a dash of calm. 



Ben flashed back to his time fighting for the deal in the first place.  The town’s infrastructure is dated.  Buildings often needing repairs, and while the rustic look was great for the residents currently living in it, what about the future?  What about the long-term survivability of the town?  In that instant, Ben felt vindicated in his decisions. 



“Thank you, Malinda.” Ben beamed up to her. 



Malinda noted the first bit of confidence from him she had seen. 



“Thank you for reminding me exactly why I was supportive of Sterling International’s investment in this town.” Ben broadened his chest a bit and proclaimed “I love this town.  Your company clearly has the means to support a place near and dear to me and I believe with our partnership this town will thrive for generations to come!”  



Ben had just come up with his platform and took a stab at his stump speech.  Malinda was even inspired. 



She kneeled down, opened her arms and signaled for an embrace.  Ben leaned in, still coming down from the high of his ‘speech.’ 



Ben could feel, with full and immediate awareness, a pair of breasts that were considerably larger than his head and weighed three times as much being pressed directly into his chest and face.  Ben quickly came back to the reality of the hug.  He didn’t pull away. It was warm and her essence brought a spell over him.  Her hand covering much of his back she leaned in, whispering “We are going to great things together Councilman.” 



As she held him in her embrace, she looked up at the coffee shop.  At least a dozen frozen people, were pressed against the large windows taking in what they just saw. A giantess had come town to... work?  Nobody had even spoke.  The milk steamer in the back was overflowing, the oven buzzer must have been going off for minutes no doubt ruining whatever breakfast treats were cooking. The only person unfazed was a small boy locked in on his video game. With a devilish smile she eyed them all. 



Malinda stood up.  Anyone not immediately pressed up on the glass lost sight of her face. 



“Would you like to join me as I canvas the town, Malinda?” Ben asked. 



“I would love to councilman.” she replied, motioning for him to lead the way. 



“Malinda, can I ask you a question?” he inquired. 



“13 feet.” She quickly responded. 



“13 feet” Ben shot back? 



“Well, 13’6” in these heels.  But these aren’t my tall ones.”  Malinda pointed at her feet. “I can tell when Beta’s are getting more comfortable being around me.  That’s always the first question.” she smirked. 



“Wow...” Ben trailed off into thought.  Being in her proximity brought a feeling of inadequacy that you simply cannot ignore.  Here is this perfectly professional business woman, however luscious and brazenly sexual she may be, carrying about her job assigned to her by her boss, so casually.  The only difference being that in an instant, she could physically dominate or even harm anyone in this town.  The cars parked along the street looked comically small.  Cars are designed for people, not the other way around.  It sent a shudder down Ben’s back as he walked on.  “I hope I am making the right decision” he thought to himself, as they rounded the corner and headed down Main Street. 



Carefully filing out, the occupants of the coffee shop slowly crept around the corner.  There watched the councilman who had sold off a part of their town.  Sold it off to a company supporting him with a literal giantess.  



The sheer juxtaposition of a full-grown man coming up to her thigh was jaw dropping.  The end of her skirt bouncing as she walked, just below his eye line.  Her heels audibly clacking down the sidewalk.  His footsteps weren’t even heard. 



As they got far enough out of earshot the entire group let out a simultaneous gasp.  



The town as they knew it was on a fast track to somewhere new.  What that was, remained to be seen.