- Text Size +

By the time Tom and Cindy got back to the house, both the groceries and their stuff from the house had been delivered. Their parents were putting the food away. Tom laughed watching his parents use a ladder to put things in the refrigerator. He laughed even more when he realized that he would be doing the same thing.


He and Cindy turned their attention to unpacking their stuff and getting their rooms better organized. The sheer size of his room meant that it would almost be impossible for it to ever feel cluttered. His bed was normal sized, but the bureaus and the closet weren’t. The three sizes of bars going across meant that he was using the one that was his height. 


And due to the width of it, it would always feel more than half empty. But once he got everything situated to his liking, he went to check on his sister.


He knocked and heard her say come in. He opened the door and saw that she had arranged everything as close to her bed as possible. That left about 80% of the room empty. As big as his room was, hers was twice the width. 


Tom asked her if she needed any help, but Cindy said she was all done. Her clothes were away, and with her belongings so close to her bed, it made him think that her arrangement would help make the cavernous feel of the room more bearable. Everything may have been designed for Cindy's future height, but she was nowhere close to it now, so he was sure that she would occasionally get frustrated when things didn't go as planned.


They both made their way to the living room. Just the thought of having to use steps in order to sit on the couch or chairs was crazy. Here he was at 6’ having to use steps to sit on furniture that was a foot above his head. Even Cindy at 6’10” had to use the steps. It was a wow moment for the both of them.


By now, their parents were finished with the groceries, but before they started on the task of unboxing their belongings, their father Bill said he was going to take a shower. Tom noticed that his parents had worked up a sweat putting all those groceries away. And his father could give a scouting report on the shower and all it's quirks.


While their dad was in the shower, Susan had made herself as comfortable as possible on one of the chairs in the living room, and with her children both sitting on the sofa, asked them how they were making out. 


Tom said he was fine, everything going as well as could be expected. Cindy said that she felt the house was too big, that it didn't feel like a home. Susan said to her that it was a natural response to a quickly changing situation. But she assured her daughter that as she grew and got bigger, she would start to see the benefits of a house built for her.


Susan tried to stress to her daughter about just being a kid, first and foremost. Don't try to grow up too fast. That she would get bigger, but that she needed to relax and enjoy life and the journey that she was going through.


And she basically repeated everything Tom had said. Just to be a kid, and they would take care of the rest. Cindy looked at her brother and smiled. His advice was going to be the right advice.


Their dad finally came out of the bathroom. Tom asked him what was the shower like. Bill looked at his son and said he once was in a shower this big, and held his hands apart. Everyone laughed at the joke. 


He did say that it was so big, that he thought it could fit about 10 people his size with no problem. He looked at his wife, and said to him, it was designed for two extremely large people to use it at the same time. 


Just then, there was a knock on the front door. Since Bill was already standing, he opened it and saw three girls the same size as Cindy. They asked if she was home. He said yes, and asked them in.


Cindy and Tom recognized them as the same girls from earlier that day. Lucy, Sally and Patty. Cindy introduced her parents to them, and after the introductions, they asked Cindy if she wanted to hang out with them, Cindy looked at Tom first, then her parents. They told her to have fun, but be back by 5pm.


It was right around this time that a letter from the school district arrived. It stated that a new school complex was that would contain the elementary school and high school was currently under construction and was hoping to be completed by the start of the school year. It was stated that the children in third grade were quickly outgrowing the current building. The letter apologized for any interruptions.


When she got home and read the letter, Cindy thought that it was what Tom told her last night. Maybe she should just relax and have fun. She had met three girls earlier, and just hung out with them. She could talk to them. Plus she was sure that her classmates would be moving in soon, which would help.


Cindy soon found that navigating through the house had become easier. She got used to the implements and adapters. And soon her whole class had moved in to the development, except for the two boys who were small. They did in fact move away. And Cindy was a little sad by that, because they were always nice to her.


But once she became situated, and her friends and family were around her, Cindy found school to be fairly easy. The school year was speeding towards conclusion. And new challenges were sure to arise at some point. But with her friends and family around, Cindy looked forward to them.