- Text Size +

I finally decided to revisit this story. I didn't know if I would ever add more chapters, because I couldn't get past the first paragraph of PT 7. But hopefully I can do the story justice. Thank you.



The summer sped by. Cindy was very happy that her classmates moved into the development, and she grew closer to Lucy, Sally, and Patty. Her and Tom’s birthdays were only days away. She had reached an even 7’ in height by her ninth birthday. But she still hadn’t grown into the house.


The combination birthday party for Tom and Cindy brought the usual family members. By then, Tom had gotten used to any relative that was Cindy’s age or a little younger being taller than him. And so the resentment that he felt just a few years before was no longer present.


But once school started, all children, whether they took the formula or not, were unprepared for the new school buses. Tom and Cindy couldn’t get over the size of the steps leading up to seats. Much taller than they remembered. But the seats were even more of a challenge. Scaled to the future heights of the kids that took the formula, the seat made Tom look like a toddler, while Cindy looked like a 7 year old sitting in daddy’s chair. It definitely took some getting used to. But what fascinated Tom was the bus driver. An older, normal sized man who was in a seat raised 4-5 feet off the ground, with pieces of wood about 4 ft long and attached to the pedals, allowing him to drive the bus. It would be an image that would stick with him forever.


So Tom and Cindy found seats. Cindy was with the three girls she met when they moved into their new house, Patty, Sally and Lucy, while Tom was with his group. They were all curious as to what the new school would look like. They had heard all kinds of rumors. It was going to have this, or have that, or look like this, or look like that, they never ended. But until they could find out for themselves, it was a guessing game. But it did feel a little exciting.



Once everyone got their first look at the new school building, every rumor seemed to be both true and false. The building was definitely much taller and wider than the other, and the doors were also taller and wider. But they were nowhere near 100ft, as some of the students claimed. But they were definitely twice the size as the doors in the old buildings. 


Everyone gathered in the huge gymnasium. The students from the fifth grade up to twelfth, and first grade, sat up front towards a podium that was placed in the middle of the building. Second, third, and fourth graders sat in the rear. Tom knew that was a change, as the older students always were in the back due to their bigger size. But with the students in second through fourth now as tall, and in many cases, taller than the seniors in highschool, the positions were reversed. 


There was an unfamiliar man at the podium. It was the new principal. The principal introduced himself. His name was Mr Lee, and he wanted to welcome all the students to the new school building, saying that it was the finest structure in town, and to inform the students of all the rules and regulations. And that he hoped that everyone would enjoy the year, but if anyone had any questions or issues, feel free to see him anytime. Tom thought that it was the usual blah, blah he heard every year. 


As the students headed to their classrooms, Tom noticed that the male highschoolers had funny looks on their faces as they walked past Cindy's class. He noticed that everyone had to look up to the girls in fourth grade, which must have been unnerving for them. They were not used to it, but Tom knew from experience that they would have to get used to it, and fairly quickly.


Tom spotted his sister and waved. Cindy waved back and went with her class. There was no student who hadn't taken the formula, so everyone was basically the same size. And with the students in her class well over 7’, they dwarfed the middle aged male teacher, Mr Jones. They found out pretty quickly that he was ok. He accepted the position because he loved teaching children, and to him, it didn't matter if they were towered over him, or only came up to his midsection. They deserved to be treated the same, and taught the same. 


Every student, from the fifth grade on up, was stunned when they got to their classroom. The rooms may have been cavernous, but the normal sized desks only served to emphasize the future height disparity between people who took the formula, and those that didn't. Tom immediately thought about Cindy, and wondered how she was making out.


The desks in Cindy's classroom were larger than normal. The students in fourth grade could barely fit in the seats. Principal Lee stopped by the room and asked the students to be patient. New desks had to be made, and should be finished by the following week. He apologized for any inconvenience.


With everything being so new, especially for the children of fourth grade, the teachers decided, with the principal’s permission, to offer the students a chance to ask questions, but only for that day. Starting with the following day, students would be taught. But this was considered a special occasion, so they could get to understand what was going on.


Once the day was over, everyone filed onto their respective busses, and Tom decided to sit with his sister. He was anxious to find out how her day went. Cindy told him that it went well. She described the desk situation, saying that new ones should be arriving sometime the following week. But the teachers were nice. The only thing that upset her and her friends were the looks the highschoolers gave to her and her classmates as they left the gym. She thought that was rude of them.


Tom agreed, but pointed out that this was probably the first time that they ever saw kids that were 5 years younger tower over them, so they weren't used to it. He assured her that they would get used to it, or else, and he shook his fist. That brought a smile to her face. And she asked him about his day. Tom told her that it took some time to get used to the size of the classroom. Everything was so big, it was like they were built for giants, like she would be one day. And he playfully nudged her on the arm. 


Once they got home, they found the house empty, and both thought that their parents were back to taking their little trips again. But they saw the note on the refrigerator. It was from their mom. Their dad slipped stepping off one of the implements, and hurt his ankle. She took him to the hospital, and hoped to be back soon, but if they weren't, she left money to order pizza and have it delivered. 


Brother and sister looked at each other and both felt bad that they thought their mom and dad were back to being absentee parents again. But their dad got hurt, so they really prayed that he was alright. And as the hour approached 5:00, it became apparent that it was time to order the pizzas. Cindy’s growing appetite made ordering one pie no longer feasible. Tom just smiled at his sister and made the call.