- Text Size +

The pizza arrived at the same time as Bill and Susan returned from the hospital. Both Tom and Cindy were relieved that their father only suffered a sprained ankle. He would need to use crutches for about a week. He was scheduled for an examination in three days. The doctor wanted to make sure that it was a sprain and not a fracture, but needed the swelling to go down first. And with his pain medication taking effect, Susan escorted her husband to the bedroom and tucked him in, and gave him a goodnight kiss.


She came back out to the kitchen. She asked her children how their first day of school went. Cindy told her that it went well, even though the boys in highschool were giving the kids in her class strange looks. Susan hugged her daughter and told her the same thing that Tom had earlier. These were boys who weren't used to seeing girls as young as she was towering over them. But they should get used to it. It may just take a while. Cindy looked at Tom. He was right. He told her that if anyone gave her any trouble, she was to tell him and he would take care of it. She appreciated what he just said.


Once dinner was over, Cindy asked her mom if she could take a walk. Susan said yes, provided her brother went with her. Tom really wasn't in the mood to go outside, but he didn't want her walking by herself, so he agreed. When they were outside and beginning their walk, Cindy found herself having to slow down in order for her brother to keep up. She didn't realize that her stride was getting longer, thereby covering more ground. But Tom never complained, and did his best to keep up with his younger sister. 


As they walked along, Cindy asked Tom if she could tell him something in private. He looked up at her and said he wouldn't tell a soul. They continued on as she told him that there have been a lot of times that she wished their parents didn't get her the formula shot. She wanted to live a normal life, but she found as she was growing, as long as she was with her friends or classmates, she felt like she belonged. But when she was with him or their mom and dad, she felt awkward and out of place. She just hated being different.


Tom stopped, and grabbed her arm gently. He looked up into her eyes, and told her that unfortunately, what their parents decided was already done. She was going to be a special person when she was done growing. But she needed to just embrace what was going to happen to her going forward, because it she didn't, she would become miserable, and that would affect who she was as a person. He couldn't get the formula, and he eventually accepted that. But she was going to be special. She just had to accept that.


Cindy bent down and hugged her older brother, thanking him for trying to cheer her up. She had a little tear running down her cheek, and he wiped it away. He told her the same thing that he had always told her. He would always be there for her, no matter what. And all he asked in return is to get his cereal bowl from the top shelf of the cabinet! And he laughed, and she did too. His jokes always calmed her down.


By the time they got back to the house, their dad was awake and sitting in the living room with their mom. He didn't look quite awake, but both of his children hugged him and asked him if he was alright. He said he was. His ankle was sore, but otherwise he was doing well. Tom asked him what happened? Bill told his children that he was putting something on top of the fridge, and when he was coming back down the step ladder, he missed the bottom rung and twisted his ankle. He just asked them to both be careful when using the implements. They told him that they would.


Tom and Cindy said goodnight to their parents, and went to their rooms. Once alone, Tom kept thinking about what his sister told him. He had grown very protective of her, and it upset him that she wasn't happy. He understood what she was trying to say, and he tried to ease her mind, but it was her life that was changing rapidly. She was scared, and unsure of things. He could only offer support and advice. But she was going to have to experience her changes by herself. She had her friends and classmates, but they wouldn't be there with her at all times. She would be alone at some point, and he felt that was when the self doubt set in. She was a 9 year old that towered over grown men, but still a vulnerable little girl inside. He would try to steer her in the right direction as best he could, but if she felt alone, or doubted herself, she would struggle. He only hoped that she would accept her changing life.


Cindy went into her room and laid on her bed. She thought about the talk with Tom. He was probably right in what he told her, but she still felt like she was struggling with the choice her parents made. She hated being the center of attention. She wished she could just stay in her room and read. But she was grateful that her brother would be there for her. It made her feel better. 


As the school year progressed towards Christmas break, Cindy experienced a growth spurt, standing just over 8’ by the time the holiday break occurred. Tom was smart. He got his sister books and a record she liked. They were growth proof. Their parents bought her clothes, which they had to return because they were too small. Tom laughed. He hoped that it would be a lesson learned.