- Text Size +

Elaine Redmond sat at her vanity, staring into the wide mirror that reflected her small but luxurious cabin. The affectations and sundries she brought with her did not register at all in her gaze, as she stared intensely at her own body. The subtle changes three inches had made to her frame were absorbed, drank in through her eyes. What she'd always wanted: to be bigger. Her dream come true, but it was just the start.

The air had grown sweeter as the Ambrosius made its slogging journey toward the island. The smell of sugary delight wafted through the breeze. It was unmistakeable. The island was close. Paul and Callista stood on deck, smelling the wind and taking in the beauty of the open ocean. Paul smiled. "You really can follow your nose to this thing."

Callista didn't smile back. "It's not as sweet as it smells, trust me."

"It's a perfume." Mari announced, joining them. "Like dumping musk on a rotting thing, to hide its odor. Its malice."

"You two sure are fun this morning." Paul said.

"I imagine we'll stay that way." Mari replied, coldly. "Too much history we have with this place."

Mari closed her eyes. Scent has a powerful connection with memory. And she couldn't help but fall deeper into her own subconscious, to the time before.

-----

Three years prior, a much nicer ship full of much nicer crewmen nudged its nose onto the shore of that unnamed island. Mari watched from the prow, standing next to Callista. Both stood up front, too short too see over the large, burly crew as they made berth. "This is it, then." Mari said. Callista clutched her hand, tightly. Excitement was all they felt. The sense of fear would come later. And it would fester to an unending dread.

"Can you imagine what wonders that place has in store for us?"

"I think it's about time to stop imagining." came a voice from behind. A woman pushed through the crew to join them. She was confident and strapping. A natural leader.

"Rebecca." Callista said, welcoming her to their circle of joy.

Rebecca had become the de facto den mother of the small female population aboard the vessel. Though she was no taller than Mari's 5'1", her natural charisma and bull-headedness had made her a shield against anyone who sought to question their fitness onboard. "Let's go find some plants." she said, pulling them both into a tight embrace.

Mari smiled. Anyone could feel safe in Rebecca's arms. She had a way of making a person think she could crush the world in her hands if need be. She pushed her hair out of her eyes, and stepped forward. "Shall we disembark?"

They all stepped onto the island. The four women and eight men in single file. Mari admired the island, its looping branches and roots digging into the ground even at the shore. She was to realize all too soon, that the man to her left and to her right would be dead in an hour. And they wouldn't be alone. Only six would ever see that vein. And only four would escape to tell the tale.

----

Mari's boot crunched into the sand of the island once more. A different, larger boot than the one she wore on her first visit. She puffed out her chest, letting the fear beat against her breast. She was stronger now, in more ways than obvious. She would not allow this island to beat her twice. But even then, she knew the trials would test her limit.

Paul stepped down after her, offering Callista a hand from the plank. She took it, politely, and followed his arm into a close embrace. She and Paul had only flourished in the two weeks since her most recent growth. Even the addition of Mari hadn't tempered the burning passion she felt for him. She hadn't felt like this about anyone. It was more than lust, or pleasure. She looked at Paul and saw a future.

Paul looked at Callista and saw the top of her head. He'd noticed she'd grown again since the adventure in the furnace, but the sway of the sea and their naturally horizontal disposition had made it difficult for him to tell. She was only two inches shorter than him now, and it was starting to sink in. The fact was even more clear when he turned to see Mari. She had been his height the last time they were on dry land. Now he was staring at her nose.

The stomps of Kelly from the boat, carrying Elaine in her arms like a newlywed, broke Paul's stupor. Kelly placed Elaine on the sand, and Elaine produced a small flag from Kelly's large backpack. It bore a bizarre symbol, too elaborate to be anything official. "Does anyone take umbrage to the name 'Redmond Island'?"

She planted her flag into the sand, as they all rolled their eyes. "She might." Paul said, pointing far off into the distance. Elaine spun around to see the Summerton Yacht anchored on the far side of the island. She fumed. "Think she brought a flag, though?" Paul added.

Elaine stomped forward. "We must be on our way then." she said.

Callista stopped her, grabbing her by the shoulder. "Take it slow. This place is treacherous."

"So am I." Elaine said, tugging at Callista's grip. It was no use. The woman was stronger than her. She stared up at her, into her deep, beautiful eyes. She hated feeling helpless, especially so close to her destiny. Callista sighed, reading her face. "Lead by example." she replied.

Elaine nodded. She couldn't afford to lose her crew's support. She knew she was the least likely to do this alone. "It's a bunch of roots. How bad can it be?"

They all stared up into the mass of bramble and trees that created a deep, dark tunnel of mystery. The island stood like a hole into the center of the earth itself. The rocks and trunks rose so high, they traveled into the clouds. Which wasn't so hard a feat, given the hazy, unnatural atmosphere of the island.

Ulster looked out at the foggy wilds of the island from his perch on the ship. "I'll just stay here then? Keep an eye on the ship?" Kelly looked up at him, one eyebrow cocked. "No need, captain. We'll need all the hands we can get on the journey."

Ulster stepped down onto the shore to get a closer look. "You ladies can't take care of what's in there, yourself?" He felt a presence behind him. He looked up to see Kelly standing right behind him, staring down like a wolf.

"Afraid, Captain Ulster?" Her hands rested on his shoulders. He sighed. Perhaps it was safer to stay close to his bedroom behemoth. "Not a chance."

Packs were strapped, courses were set, and they all stepped out from Elaine's flag, descending into the cavernous roots of what was certain to never become Redmond Island. 

-----

Rebecca cut her way through the thicket, creating a path for her crew one machete swing at a time. The roots only grew denser as they moved further in. Callista stopped, scribbling notes into her journal as she went. She ran a finger along a root that Rebecca had just chopped free. She rubbed her fingers together, feeling something moist and wet between them. "Some sort of sap travels deep throughout the trees."

Mari ran her own finger along it. "Like a syrup?" She licked her finger.

"Mari, don't! We don't know anything about this substance."

"Well, that's why we're here, right?" She licked her finger more, mockingly.

"We're here to collect samples, and leave alive." Rebecca stated, cutting in. Mari gulped, ashamed. Her head shook. Her spine tingled. "Wow."

"What is it?" Callista asked, intrigued.

"It's like I just woke up from the most relaxing sleep, and I could run a marathon and a half."

"Mild energy booster, and mood elevator." Callista scribbled.

"You've got that right." Mari jittered, pressing on with renewed vigor. The crew watched her, licking their own fingers in excitement. It became a psychosomatic gesture for the men, but they all pressed on with restored strength deeper into the dark.

-----

"Remember this?" Mari asked, running her finger along a root as she did so long ago. Callista smiled. She did the same, with a game expression. 

"A watered down sample of nectar, from the source." Callista explained to the crew.

"Gives you a little more pep." Mari added. They all took their own licks.

"It doesn't work on the men, though." came a voice. They all spun around to see Danielle Summerton, standing amongst her now shabby crew, looking disappointed. "We've been at this for hours, and I'm starting to think we're going in circles."

"You are." Callista said, proudly. "It's a maze, the whole island. Designed to keep people out. Nature and civilization combined into a defense mechanism that grows stronger every day."

"Very cute. Well I've been sucking on these branches for about as long as I can stand. How far to the vein from here, miss?" Danielle asked Callista, like she was some shop girl.

"A way's." Callista spat.

"It's a good thing I've brought a guide, Danielle. Invaluable on this sort of thing." Elaine said, trotting forward. Danielle looked her up and down. 

"Especially for someone who finds it necessary to wear heels in a jungle." Danielle looked down at Elaine. No heels. She looked back up at her to find a smile waiting. "Well, someone's been opening their presents before Christmas. Got a little sample for me?"

"You'll have to work for it, for once in your life." Elaine shot back.

"I guess I could just follow your guide, wait until we get to the vein, and have my boys take an exclusive claim." Danielle said.

Kelly stepped forward, arms across her chest. "You're welcome to try."

Danielle looked up at her, eyes widening. She looked back at her crew for support, but every man was too winded to look more than unhelpful. She whistled, two fingers between her teeth. The men stood alert. "Present arms!" she shrieked.

The men balefully pulled pistols from their belts, raising them to the sky. They each fired a round into the air. The island pulsed at the noise. Wild noises groaned in the distance. Mari and Callista turned grey.

"I wouldn't do that more than you need. " Mari said, ashen. 

"Where is our reply?" Elaine asked to Kelly. Kelly grunted at her, "It was requested by the experts to leave all explosives and firearms on the shore. For the safety of the crew."

"Seems to be the opposite now." Elaine shouted. The groaning in the trees grew louder. Figures shifted from the darkness. Callista watched, terrified.

"We need to move. And we need to stay on my path." she whispered to Elaine.

"You'll go when I say you'll go." Danielle interrupted. 

"For all our sakes, we need to press on." Callista warned. Danielle made a motion, and her men pointed the pistols at them. "You can join us, so long as we press on." 

"Well I think I just need you, don't I?" She directed the guns to point at everyone but Callista.

"I'll give you a vial." Callista said. She dug into her pocket, pulling a vial of nectar from it. "A token of goodwill. Of much more to come. Let us pass unharmed, all of us, and we'll all make it to the vein together."

Danielle stared at it, unsure. She trotted up to Callista, and snatched it from her outstretched hand. She lifted it, like a cheers, in front of the fuming Elaine. "To the vein, then." She downed it in one big gulp. Her ruby lips sucked on the vial, getting every last drop from its confines. Callista had been taking drops from it for days. It wasn't exactly full. But she knew this would be quite the change for Danielle Summerton either way. 

"Oh." she cried, grabbing her chest. "It's quite sweet. And fast acting!" The men watched as their employer started to shift in front of them. Her tight safari gear grew tighter, as her sleeves rode up her wrists. Danielle shivered, feeling every inch add to her frame. She giggled, moaning with pleasure, making a meal out of the experience knowing Elaine could only watch in disgust.

Danielle's breasts surged in her buttoned blouse, stretching each clasp to its limit. She stared down at herself, making giddy noises. Callista looked back at Mari, who rolled her eyes in response. It all seemed so undignified when Danielle did it. It lacked an earnest pleasure, and reeked of condescension. 

Danielle's top two buttons popped, falling onto the mottled floor. She laughed, watching her bust creep out of its confines. "Are you seeing this, Redmond?" she cackled. "It's all real. I can hardly believe my luck."

"It's indescribable." Elaine muttered.

Danielle's pant legs creeped out of her boots, revealing her soft ankles, and then some. The ends split in all directions as her flesh surged out of her clothes. She breathed deep, letting the rest of her buttons pop and her breasts break free. Captain Ulster fanned himself with his hat, as the Summerton crew stared at each other in disbelief. 

Paul nudged himself next to the rest of the men. "First time?" he asked with a grin.

At last Danielle's growth came to a halt. Her blouse fell to the floor, as she pulled her ruined boots from her feet. The men gulped at their topless, tightly clad employer as she rose again to her new height. She snapped at one, who marched forward. "If you don't mind, sailor?" she asked.

The sailor understood, removing his uniform shirt and handing it to her, saving just his undershirt for himself. She buttoned the the uniform coat around her top, barely buttoning it around her enhanced bosom. She took his boots as well, leaving him barefoot against the unforgiving forest floor. She shook herself, feeling the new weight, the new power.

"It really is something." she cooed. "If only I could tell how much I've improved. I wish there was someone I knew, someone here with a strange knack for knowing exactly-"

"Six foot two." Elaine spat. "Let's get on with this."

"Six foot two!" Daneille repeated. She strutted around Elaine's frozen crew, admiring her new perspective. "Not quite the size of your companions here, but something to be proud of for sure. Oh what will Horace Junior do with me? A bride the same height as him. Heels will be out of the question to be sure." she stopped at Callista, staring slightly down at her with a smile.

"But that's only the beginning, I'd wager. We're so close to the vein after all." she sauntered over to Elaine, drinking in her new advantage over her social rival. "A full foot taller than you, sweet Elaine. A new experience for me, but probably not uncommon for you. You do socialize with the most interesting of people."

"Present company excluded, of course. Shall we press on, or would you like to stick my nose in it, as well?" Elaine said.

"No, I think not. I'll carry on but I don't like my crew feeling too crowded, you understand. Do one of them." she ordered.

A gun fired. Shouting. Paul fell, clutching his knee. Blood trickled from a wound at its center. Callista's eyes shot open, she raced over to him, holding him against her. His face tightened into a pained grimace. Kelly stepped toward the Summerton crew. She'd had enough. The guns pointed toward her and she stopped, furious.

"I want what's best for you, Elaine. But I also want it first. This should slow you down enough to my liking. See you when I see you." Danielle strode away, her crew just behind her. Kelly tightened her fist, but thought better.

She turned to see everyone crowded around Paul. He was powering through it, but walking would be difficult going forward. "If only we had a doctor with us." he joked weakly. Mari wedged in, lifting his leg. Paul screamed in pain. The groaning of the forest responded. Mari inspected his leg. "Clean through. No bullet." she grunted.

"Thank god." Callista breathed. 

Ulster grabbed loose bramble, assembling it into a splint. Mari ripped her shirt, tying pieces into a makeshift cast on Paul's leg. She used larger pieces to cover the wound on both sides. Kelly and Mari lifted him. "Can you stand on your own?" Kelly asked.

"I'll manage." Paul gasped, before collapsing. 

"We'll take turns supporting him." Kelly said. "Each of us." She turned to see Elaine already walking toward the direction Danielle had fled. She stopped, feeling everyone's eyes on her. 

"We can press on, then?" she asked. Callista felt rage boil in her. The faces of the crew darkened against her.

"We can press on." Paul replied, cutting the tension. He limped, under the arm of Kelly, toward Elaine.

"She's a bitch. She shot me. Let's go take that nectar from her." he smiled. Elaine smiled back. The courtesy of others had become a currency more potent than any she'd ever trafficked in. It would take Elaine Redmond far too long to realize just how much she relied on people who cared about her. 

"We'll never make it in time." Elaine replied, sheepishly.

"There's a lot more on this island that can slow her down." Mari said. "Trust me."

Callista laughed, suddenly. They all paused, unused to their serious guide showing any kind of mirth. She laughed harder, letting the sounds echo against the moaning trees.

"Well, what is it?" Elaine shouted.

Callista wiped her teary eyes, catching her breath. "She still doesn't know she needs a key."