- Text Size +

After Beth had Sarah put Gil to bed, Elizabeth experienced a feeling that she had never before, pure hatred of the woman sitting across from her. She thought that Gil's wife had been so disrespectful towards him that she couldn't understand why he married her. And the thought of being in the same room as that woman was too much to take. So about 10 minutes after Gil was in his room, Elizabeth excused herself and turned in also, leaving Beth and the twins to watch TV. 


And as she was heading towards her room, she silently paused when she heard one of twins ask their mom why she sent their father to bed, anxious to hear Beth's answer. She heard her tell her daughters that the world they just entered was made to be an Utopian Female paradise, where they controlled what happened. And for too long their father, after being away from home for months on end, would come home and immediately start barking orders and overruling all her decisions regarding the raising of her girls, and the house. She resented it, but could not do anything about it, as that society frowned upon strong, independent women. But not this place. She told her daughters that soon their father would learn to obey and respect the three of them, and learn his place in society.


Maggie and Sarah looked at each other, and then at their mother. They had never heard her say these things. It was strange. They thought maybe that their mom was feeling ill, the words that just came out of her mouth like a foreign language they didn't understand. They did what their mother told them with regards to their father because they loved her, and didn't want to disappoint her. But they also felt a little sorry for their dad, because they always knew him as a loving, doting father. And they were tremendously proud that he was an astronaut, the best of the best. But what their mother was saying didn't make sense to them.


Elizabeth heard every word that was said, and her blood was beyond boiling. Gil was as sweet a man as she ever met, but hearing Beth talk about him as if he didn't matter, or worse, treated as less than equal to a child, made her silently weep. Never had she heard of any such behavior in her life. It was totally alien to the way of life on her world. And yet, the lady married to Gil was talking as if men didn't count as people. She really needed to talk to Sam. All she had to do was make it through the night.


It was around 1 in the morning when Beth and the girls decided to call it a night. As she walked with Maggie and Sarah down the hallway, she turned and looked at her daughters, and smiled, telling them that they would truly like the new home. The girls told their mom that they loved her, and went into their room, while Beth headed towards hers. 


Opening the door, she noticed that Gil had fallen asleep on the floor. Looking at her small husband, she thought about leaving him where he was, but she ultimately decided to pick him up and lay him in bed with her. As she laid next to him, she just couldn't get over the fact that a week ago, he was a strapping astronaut, standing 9 inches taller than her. Now he only came up to just around the middle of her thigh. In fact, it made her smile that he only came up to the midsection of his daughters. This was truly a special world for women, and she couldn't wait to take full advantage.


Elizabeth had a terrible night of sleep. Every time she dreamed, it was always of Gil being mentally abused by his wife, and her being unable to help him in anyway, and she would wake up with tears in her eyes. So when her alarm went off, she felt like she hadn't slept at all. She wearily made her way out into the kitchen. The smell of the coffee brewing made her feel a little better. She had hoped that Beth and the girls would sleep in, because she was in no mood to see her that morning. And once the cup of coffee was in her hand, she sat at the table and just enjoyed the silence.


Gil woke up with Beth's large arm on top of him. He had to use the bathroom, but was unable to lift the arm off of him. He tried to shift his position to wriggle out from underneath, but found it impossible to break free. It wasn't until Beth turned away from him that he found the freedom to move. He got down off the bed, and made his way to the door, only to find it closed, and him unable to reach the handle. He felt his bladder about to burst, but with him trapped, he thought he was going to pee all over the floor. It wasn't until the handle turned, and the door open, that he saw his savior.


Elizabeth had heard the stirring in the quiet apartment, and seeing the bedroom door closed, she assumed, correctly, that it was Gil trying to get out. He thanked her, and ran into the bathroom, barely making it in time. Once he relieved himself, he went back out into the kitchen, and thanked his gentle giantess again for saving him from having an accident. Elizabeth told him that he was very welcome. She noticed that Gil’s demeanor appeared to be a little more upbeat than the night before, but she sensed something was off with him. Without Beth there, he was able to relax a little, but he was always looking at the bedroom door. And she felt that once Beth was awake and out there, he would once again be at the mercy of her moods. She wanted to just take him to work with her, but she couldn't bring herself to go against Beth's wishes. 


It was a short time later that Beth emerged from the bedroom and saw Elizabeth sitting at the table, and Gil sitting on his sofa. She looked at her husband and said that she was wondering where he went. Gil looked up at her and said that he needed to use the bathroom, but the door was closed, and that Elizabeth opened it up for him before he had an accident. Beth looked at her at her husband, and then at Elizabeth, and joked that she would have to buy him diapers to wear at night.


Both Gil and Elizabeth had the same reaction. They both hated it, because they were sure that Beth wasn't kidding. Beth then went into the kitchen and got herself a cup of coffee, and sat down at the table. And that's when Elizabeth got up from the table and went to take a shower. But before she could enter the bathroom, she heard Beth tell Gil that she would like him to come to the dining room. Elizabeth just shook her head. Soon she would meet with Sam. Sam might have the answers to the question of what she should do.


Elizabeth got dressed and after saying goodbye, headed out the door and towards work. As she walked, she just couldn't take her mind off of Gil. The poor man was in for a miserable existence, unless she could come up with a way to make his life better. But she needed to talk with the smartest person she knew. Only then, she hoped, things would become clear.


Once she was at the office, Elizabeth made a pot of coffee, then brought two cups into the conference room. Samantha arrived 15 minutes early, and was promptly greeted with a hug that let her know that her friend was extremely troubled. Once both women were seated, and had their cups in front, Sam asked her friend what was wrong.


Elizabeth hesitated for a moment, then explained everything to the Doctor, leaving nothing out of what she actually knew, and what she suspected. And as she was describing the situation, tears had started to form in her eyes. Sam was quiet. She knew her friend very well. Elizabeth wasn't one to panic, or get excited over minor issues. If she was upset by what she thought was going through, or was going to go through, then she knew it was accurate. And Sam herself sighed. She had met Gil a couple of times, and really thought he was one of the nicest men she had ever met, and handsome too. But once she found out he was married, then she put any interest that she might have had in him out of her mind. She had noticed the way he had looked at her after they met, but she thought that it may have been a case of a stranger in a strange land, looking for a friendly face. 


But Sam was a little surprised by the way her friend had tears in her eyes. It was almost like she had fallen in love with Gil, but didn't want to admit it. But even if that was true, it didn't change the facts surrounding the issue at hand. She looked at Elizabeth and suggested that they go back to the apartment. And it would be an official visit, as Sam should examine Beth and Maggie and Sarah, to make sure that they didn't have any illness that could infect the population. And that it was time for her to perform a follow-up examination of Gil, to make sure his body has properly adjusted to his new surroundings. 


Elizabeth thought that was a great idea. And once both of them were finished with their cups of coffee, they headed back towards her apartment. But once she opened her door, she heard a loud voice coming from the back bedroom. It was Beth, and she didn't sound happy. All the two women heard was Beth telling Gil that he would get used to wearing the strap on whether he liked it or not, followed by Gil replying in a panicked voice that it was too uncomfortable and unwieldy. Sam looked at her friend with a shocked look on her face, while Elizabeth had a look that told her friend that this was what she was worried about.


But before Beth could reply, Elizabeth yelled down the hall that she was home, and brought a friend with her. They heard Gil’s wife quickly get dressed, and come out to the living room. Gil remained in the room. Beth had a curious look on her face as she noticed Sam. The astronaut’s wife wasn't sure what was going on, until Elizabeth explained that her friend’s name was Samantha, and that she was a doctor. She was there to examine Beth and the twins to make sure that they were healthy. Beth started to object, but a quietly angry Elizabeth cut her off, saying it was mandatory. Beth just looked at the two women standing in front of her, and a smile came across her face, and said it would be no problem. She yelled down the hallway, telling Gil to get dressed and join them out in the living room. 


It was those words, spoken in that tone of voice, that got Sam angry. It was as if this lady’s husband didn't count as an adult. Hell, it was like he had less rights than a 5 year old. She could see, with her own eyes, and hear with her own ears, exactly what Elizabeth had described. She wished that she would find something wrong, in order to have Beth quarantined, but realized that it would be very unlikely for that to occur.


A couple of minutes later, Gil joined them in the living room. Sam was taken aback by his appearance. When she had seen him before, his eyes were alive with humor and passion and curiosity. Now his eyes had a look of someone that was withdrawn, fearful, and otherwise miserable. Sam’s heart ached for him. But she was there to do her job, and as much as Beth offended her sensibilities, she was going to do it to the best of her abilities.


Beth went to wake up the girls. The bathroom was plenty big enough, so that was where Sam set up for the exams. Once the girls were up and moving, Beth was the first to go. Entering the room, Sam had her undress, then stand on the scale that was already in the bathroom. She pulled out a tape measure and got an accurate measurement of height and weight.


 As Sam was writing everything down, Beth decided to start a conversation. She asked if it was common in this place for women to be subservient to men? Sam looked up and asked her what she meant. Beth said that since women were so much taller and stronger than men, why didn't they assert themselves more, making men take a back seat to what they wanted to do? Sam remained composed, even though her blood pressure was sky high. She explained to the visitor that men and women didn't take a back seat to anyone. They were completely equal. Once they were married, they made decisions equally regarding the raising of children, where to live, and how to handle finances. It was always that way, and it led to much happiness and prosperity throughout the world.


Beth looked at the Doctor like she was drunk or high. She asked her how could men be taken so seriously when they were so small? Didn't she find that strange that men who were no taller than the middle of women's thighs would have any say in any decisions. It was as if women were intentionally ignoring their greatness in order to make men feel good. And due to their stature, their opinion shouldn't count or be taken seriously. She just couldn't understand that thinking, that this world was for women to take control and live how they wanted to, regardless of how men felt. 


It was then that Samantha looked directly at Beth with a gaze filled with utter contempt. She calmly restated how things were and had always been, and that it wouldn't change. Beth looked at Sam, and smiled, and said that maybe the women of this world hadn't been introduced to an exciting new way of life. 


Sam kept her eyes on Beth as she checked for lumps, rashes, or anything else that wasn't normal. She was silently disappointed when she couldn't find anything wrong, and so gave her a clean bill of health. Beth dressed and left, and then came back in with Maggie and Sarah when they took their turns. Both were healthy, then Gil came in for his exam, with Beth escorting him in. The Dr informed her that the exam was going to be conducted in private, as any Doctor/patient interaction. She told Beth to leave. She told the doctor that she wanted to be there, to make sure her husband was healthy. Once again, Sam looked Beth right in the eyes, and told her to leave the room. Sam had been ok with Beth being there with her daughters, because she was their mother. But Gil was a grown man. There was absolutely no reason for her being there, other than letting him know that she was in charge. It almost made Sam throw up. But Beth eyed up Sam, and turned and left. Once her anger towards Beth receded, Sam couldn't help but feel pity as Gil looked like a condemned prisoner facing a fate worse than death. He too was healthy physically. But Sam knew that mentally he was in trouble. 


Once the exams were over, Sam wrote her reports, and gave them to Elizabeth and stressed that she read them immediately. Her friend did as requested, and when she was  done, she asked Gil to change his clothes and come to work. Beth said that she told him to stay home with her. Elizabeth told her that she had hired him to work in the office, and that his presence was required. Beth oblected, until her hostess pointed out that she was the mayor, and she made all the hiring decisions for the town. Gil had been working on files, and that they needed to be done. 


Beth could see that Elizabeth’s mood had changed. It was no longer upbeat and innocent, but one of darkness and steely resolve. She didn't think the younger woman had it in her, but realized that although she might not like it, she had no choice. So Gil left with Sam and Elizabeth and went to work in the office. And once he was back at work on the files, Elizabeth thanked Sam for suggesting that she hire Gil, just to get him away from Beth. It was a temporary solution, but it would allow her to keep an eye on his well being without his wife being there. 


Spending the day at work seemed to boost Gil’s spirits. Going through the boxes of files temporarily took his mind off of the trouble he was having with Beth, and Elizabeth noticed. She had thought about asking her to leave the apartment, but realized that if that happened, she wouldn't be able to keep an eye on Gil. And there was no telling what she would do to him if she lost her temper. So, when Sam wrote her idea on Gil’s medical report, it gave her an opportunity to get him away from his wife. But it wasn't a permanent solution. Something would have to change, and quickly. But she looked at Gil working away without complaint, and it made her heart skip a beat.