- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I'd thought I'd do a couple of chapters reverting back to Brandon's life in Seattle, just to make up due to how quick the shrinking started in this story.
Thursday, August 17th, 2006


I wake up, my window still open from last night, I take a look around my room, my room having that somewhat rotten egg smell from Lake Washington being near by, I look out the window, you can never really tell what time it is due to the fact it's pretty much always cloudy, the window being right in front of my bed, my desk being right near my TV if I were to look to the side of me. I look at the wooden work-desk, there's still papers on the second side shelf of it from back when I was in high school, and a orange stripped glass mug filled with number two pencils and a couple of red and green retractable pens. I've never really been that much of a poster on the walls type of dude, but I've been debating about it lately, so maybe that'll change.

I get out of bed, everyday somewhat feels exactly the same since I've graduated, and it's been two years this year. It probably doesn't help that the weather practically never changes, it's always cloudy and rainy. My feet slap against the wooden floor of my bedroom, echoing through the room. My walls are custard colored and made out of drywall. It's a pretty spacious room for a bedroom, not quite master bedroom sized, but it's close to it, a lot of it is empty space though, and I've had this room since I was elementary school.

I walk out of my room and into the hallway, the jet black guardrails across the top of the hallway, I look down over it at the stairs, that square spot where that huge step is, seemingly still stained with grape wine from that Christmas party mom and Howard had about three years ago this year.


"Is anybody home?" I say out loud, my words echoing in the hallway and the front of the house.

I know Howard's gone to work, Mom's probably spending time with one of her friends she made at whatever yoga thing or book club or whatever way she's been trying to find more friends these past couple years. Cindy's probably at whatever boyfriend of the week's house, Howard's still pretty pissed at her for dropping out of Washington State University, since he paid so much for her tuition and dorm room costs and everything. I usually spend my post high school days just lounging around the house, browsing the internet, and just hanging out with whatever friends I had, since I went to a private school for all my school years and lot of my friendships changed by grade year, only about two stayed with my entire school career.

I walk down the carpeted stairs, I feel the cold breeze from my room, flowing throughout the house, since I still left my window open. The freshwater lake smell seemingly staying just in my room, since I can't smell it down stairs. I fell asleep wearing a light blue t-shirt and just my red checkered boxers, I realize that as soon as I take my last step, my foot feeling ice cold as soon as it touches the white ceramic tiled floor. My hair's a mess, and I don't brush my teeth usually until after I eat.

Growing up the stepson of a millionaire, but a millionaire who was pretty frugal with his money, lead to us basically having not as many brand name snacks, besides occasionally the pack of Oreos he'd give in and buy if everyone complained enough about it. Walmart really isn't a thing in the Seattle area, you see them more towards Bellevue or whatever, more towards outskirts of town I guess, and he hated going to independent grocery stores which were a dime a dozen here although they were pretty expensive too, like everything else in Seattle, so he always went out to Safeway, which was a little far outside of our neighborhood of Madison Park. But if Mom had been grocery shopping that week, she'd go out and actually buy some brand name stuff from whatever grocery store was closest, she wasn't exactly picky about it like Howard.

I open up the metallic silver fridge, I hear the ice churning around in it, seemingly making more for later on. Looks like mom went shopping this week though, the only Safeway brand thing I see is the gallon of 2 percent Lucerne milk that Howard bought a couple of days ago. I pull out the gallon of milk and close the fridge.

I glance at the time on the Microwave, it's 10:28am right now. I usually wake up around 9am or so, but I guess I slept in a hour early.


I pull out a plastic bowl from the top cabinet and walk over to the pantry, I see more brand name stuff, like a box of Ritz crackers or a big jar of Skippy Peanut butter. I pull out the box of Coco-Puffs and start pouring it into the bowl. I make it about half full, not really being too hungry this morning anyways, I close up the bag and the box, setting it back down in the pantry. I pour the milk and get a metal spoon from out the kitchen drawer.

I eat for about 15-ish minutes, just standing at the kitchen counter and eating my cereal, the living room TV isn't not on, so I just stare at the fridge for a bit, a couple of mutli-colored alphabet letter magnets scattered around it. The picture of the family in Rome standing inside the Colosseum about seven years ago, that summer when my biological father went missing. I'm only wearing beige cargo shorts and a red t-shirt, Cindy's wearing a Veruca Salt band t-shirt and blue jeans, this was back when she was going through that whole riot grrl faze when she was in high school, she seemingly got that from mom, I'd remember being in fifth grade and my mom would always play the same "The Best of Blondie" cassette tape on the way to school, my mom always seemingly cranking it up whenever the song Heart of Glass came on, singing it as loud as she can, I remember being super embarrassed about it, since all the other kids could hear her too as I got out of the station wagon.

Before I can go any more deeper into my thoughts, I hear the garage door open, I wonder who it is, the only sound before then was the sound of the ice in the freezer my chewing and swallowing of the Coco-Puffs.

I think it's Cindy, judging by how far around the car sounds, she usually parks way from the door in our three car garage. She drives a 2003 Toyota Matrix, she got it last year after her car accident, her original car being a 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix, a car she wanted as a graduation gift from Howard, since our dad seemingly drove one she said, when she went down to Phoenix to visit him around this time seven years ago. Howard blew money on us all the time, it was for a birthday or a specially event or whatever, but again, after all, he could afford it. He had friends at a lot of dealerships around the Seattle area, so I guess that helped a bit with the pricing.

I hear the car's engine turn off, and the door opening, the Cindy's footsteps also, since we do have a three car garage.


Cindy opens the door, it leads into the kitchen area. Her redhair in a ponytail, she's in wearing a tight fitting "Björk" t-shrit, she's been really into that experimental pop music stuff lately, since one of her friends from when she went to college introduced it to her. She's got some blue jeans on and a pair of red Sketchers on.

"Where did you go?" I say, looking as she walks through the door.


"Well, I went for a walk down near the beach, called Trevor and see what he was up too, he said he'd get off work at 4 today so I thought I'd just go for a drive around the city for a bit. I've been up since like, ssseven this morning" she says, stuttering a little bit when she said seven.


Trevor was another boyfriend she's had, she's been with him about a year now. A another redhead that she met through a friend, he's pretty tall, about six foot three, and I'm about five eleven so he kinda towers over me. Guy's pretty huge into going to the them, he's muscular and ripped, my parents like him. I think he works as a Manager at a Borders Bookstore.

"Ah nice" I say, going back to finishing my cereal.

Cindy remarks that she's going upstairs to the computer room, go on update her status on Myspace or whatever. I watch her leave.

I finish up my cereal and put my dishes in the dishwasher, for someone to load it up tonight, it won't be me though. I walk back upstairs to get ready to go out, showering and brushing my teeth and whatever. I grab my flip phone, a silver Verizon LG flip phone I got last year, Howard buying me one after I asked him why everyone else has a phone but me, even though I'm technically an adult and could buy my own, I guess that was a pretty immature move looking back at it.


I call up Kevin, one of the friends from school that I still kept all these years. An Asian guy I've known since like, fourth grade. He says he's off today from his dad's Korean restaurant, and he says he'll drive over here to hang out.

I go down stairs after this, Cindy seemingly still in the computer room, still messing around on Myspace if I had to guess. I walk down to the living room and turn on the gigantic projector TV we've had probably about eight years at this point. The last thing seemingly it was left on was MTV, now playing Laguna Beach: The Real Orange County, something Cindy most likely left it on, the surround sound of the TV booming, I grab the remote and change the channel and turn down the volume.

I hear Kevin walk through the front door, since we never lock it.

"What's up dude!" I say, looking at him from the couch.

"Brandon my man, how's it going" he says, he wears glasses, a collared shirt, and just some regular jean shorts and a pair of flip flops, pretty chilled out for the day.

He sits on the couch next to me and we catch up a bit, we turn the TV to some random channel, the local news. He mentions why I still don't have a job and I say I'm trying to find one, but in a non nepotistic way, through Howard basically. We stay at my house for a hour and then head out in his car, a grey 1986 hand me down Chevy Nova that he got from his older brother who went back to South Korea to teach English at a school. We go out to get some food, since Seattle isn't really that big on fast food in general and not wanting to go too far from my house, we just go back to my place and make a couple of ham and cheese sandwiches, he's pretty big into classic rock, so he has a ton of Cheap Trick, Boston, and Queen tapes that he plays in the car, Howard and mom always complements his t-shirts whenever he wears one coming over, mom sometimes remising about living in Phoenix and dating dad when she sees the shirts and is reminded of the time period, she tears up sometimes about it in private.

Around eight or so everyone's home, and Kevin stays for dinner, and mom cooks and stuff like that, Howard staying late at work that day, being one of the higher ups at the Eddie Bauer corporate office.


I fall asleep that night, that day basically being a average day for me since about two falls ago, when the excitement of not though I usually hang out with Tim too, but he didn't pick up the phone. If no-one's able to hang out I honestly just park in front either the TV or Computer all day, since I haven't exactly thought about getting into a relationship yet.

Maybe that'll change soon.
Chapter End Notes:
I thought I'd do a flashback chapter, just to show the normal times in Brandon's life, feel free to leave a review on it and you'd if you'd like to see more of these between chapters, I'm just trying something new.