- Text Size +
Friday, May 18th, 2007


I wake up, the sound of the dog's collar chain jingling as it walks by my door, I rub my eyes, it still cloudy outside as I can tell by looking out my window, it always is in Seattle. I remember I go back to work today, the first actual thought that enters my mind, I've been off for two days today from work, so being reminded of that dampens my mood a little bit. I slowly get out of bed, my usual shift is from two to ten, sometimes nine if I beg for more hours.

Mom and Howard renovated the house late last year, and one of the things they got during the process was a dog, since Mom wanted one but Howard always argued against one, not really wanting to have to shell out any more money towards having to buy dog food or wanting to take care of it or the like, Howard finally caved in, mom arguing something about getting one would relieve stress during this time, so he went to the shelter one day and brought back a female Border Collie, about at that point three years old. Due to all the open wires and the general mess that came with renovating though, we constantly watched her to make sure she didn't step or attempt to eat anything until it was done.

I get out of bed, I'm dressed a grey tank top and plaid sweatpants, my room wasn't renovated along with basically the upstairs besides the master bathroom. My Laptop now sitting on the desk, something I bought as a present for myself last Christmas, a ruby red Dell Laptop I bought from work, I'll use it from time to time if I have free time and there's nothing else to do and/or I'm off for work.

I walk into the hallway, and the dog wags her tail, making eye contact with me, she slowly walks towards me and sniffs around my lower pants leg.

"Who's good girl Sasha, who's a good girl" I say, petting and rubbing her head and back, her dog breath isn't the greatest thing to wake up and smell, but it's also a reminder to me too that I should probably brush my teeth.

I pet her black and white fur around for about a minute or so, she starts licking my arm. I stop and she walks into the computer room, since mom put Sasha's dog bed under the computer's desk.

I walk into the bathroom, brush my teeth and gargle some mint mouthwash, and freshen up a little bit, I usually don't shave, and I don't this time around, but I've started to notice a little bit of stubble on my chin starting to grow, surprising me a little bit as I observe myself in the mirror.

I walk out, remembering I go to work at around three today, and getting off at ten tonight.

"Kevin's probably hanging out with his family and older brother, since he mentioned that he came back to the USA for a quick vacation before heading back to Korea last week" I say out loud to myself, Cindy's in the process of moving out at this point, she's usually spending all day looking for apartments, like she's been doing since about March, leaves out at around eight, might come back around one or two, but she usually doesn't come back home and stay until around eight at night, so a good twelve-ish hours or so, if my math is right. Mom and Dad would complain about her being gone for so long when she came back home

I end up calling Tim, since he's a guy who's always been in the same boat as me, a long brown haired tall guy who grew up pretty rich, though his dad was more self made, and Howard was more born into it, I guess. He's heavily into that whole Post-Hardcore, dabbling a little bit into emo too now, since it's somewhat popular these last couple of years along with other mainstream genres of rock. He'd always have some girl with him too, whenever we'd hang out under his circumstances, a girlfriend or someone he met a couple of days ago, he was somewhat of a chick magnet, he played electric guitar at parties too, sometimes he'd invite me with him, every now and then. He's always talked and listened to bands like The Get Up Kids and Saves The Day, back in middle school, and more in High School, bands like Brand New and Thursday and Dashboard Confessional and Taking Back Sunday and Finch, the bands that would get airplay on MTV2 or whatever, and he had a group of friends that I'd sometimes hang out with too who were really into the scene, and every now and then they'd take me to a concert with them, I never really got into it though, all the head banging and mosh pits and all that.


"Bro! What's up? You're off from work at Best Buy today?" He says, sounding a little exited.

"Well, I gotta go in at two, so I've got a little bit of time, so let's go hang out at your house or whatever, my mom and Howard are still kinda weary about letting people over after the renovation and all that" I say, walking towards the staircase.

"Yeah yeah sure dude, y'know, if I got that job at Circuit City you'd be making a lot more money right now and a much more freer schedule" he says, in a kinda mocking tone.


"I really rather not go out and work for a company that's going under pretty soon, at least that's what Howard told me when I told him the idea of it" I say, walking down the stairs.

"Whatever dude, be there in ten" he says, as he hangs up. I get down to the last step, closing my phone and putting it in my pocket.


I walk into the kitchen, the TV seemingly on in the living room, although the volume turned down low, some movie trailer for Spider-Man 3, saying that it's out now before turning to some other commercial for Jack In The Box, and that creepy mascot of theirs.

I look into the pantry, and pull out a package of Fig Newtons, not really having the energy to make anything this morning, to be completely honest with you.

I grab the package and sit on the couch, I grab the remote off of the floor, and change the channel, landing on the Disney Channel, airing some stupid live action show staring the daughter of some country singer that I vaguely recognize, I keep my finger on the plus button, passing by few other channels quickly, stopping on VH1, playing some clipshow show called "I Love the 90's" from a couple of years ago, celebrities giving their opinions on whatever happened in the titular year, I mumble something about how boring TV is and this I why I usually just go online nowadays.

I press the off button on the remote, and stand up. I didn't eat any of my Fig Newtons, I wasn't really hungry anyways this morning, I'll just skip breakfast.

I walk back up stairs, I quickly put on a grey collared t-shirt, and some shorts, slipping into to some Reeboks, though I'm not wearing any socks today.

I walk down stairs, with my cell phone in my pocket, it's around 11:05am, according to my phone time.

I unlock the front door and head outside, as soon as I do, Tim pulls in, he drives a green 1997 Jeep Wrangler, I can hear the music playing, pretty loud too, since there's no windows on it or anything like that, some modern day rock song with whiny and screamy voices.

I walk toward the Jeep, and I notice Tim lean over and pop open the passenger side door, to let me in.

I climb in and sit down, and Tim turns the radio down on his aftermarket radio, showing some picture of a fish moving around on it. The song seemingly called "Face Down" by The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus.

He speeds off, turning the radio down, I forgot how windy it can be with just no windows.

I get a good look at Tim, he's wearing a "Senses Fail" T-shirt, one of the bands he likes and dark blue jeans, we make it out of the neighborhood and onto the street, the one thing about Seattle, there's always Lake Washington in the background, especially when you get outside of the city and more towards the suburbs.

We stop at a stop sign, and then we go, the radio babbling loudly still.

The top 100 radio says it's stupid little jingle and announces the next song, it being Don't Matter by Akon, R&B has always been one of those genres I've had interest in, ever since hearing Ghetto Superstar by Pras back in the 7th grade playing on a former friend's dad's radio as he was driving us to get pizza, and before that point the only music I liked were the Weird Al CDs my mom would let me buy with my allowance money, if a new album came out or whatever, Howard putting me onto his songs. I've had a liking towards newer acts like OutKast and Usher stuff about a decade old like Boys II Men and All-4-One.

Tim Drives to his house, his house's driveway is much bigger than mine, compared to the three car garage that I have. There's a newer looking four door Audi A6 parked to the side, his Mom's car I'm pretty sure.

He slows down and sets the car to park, turning the engine off, and we both hop out.

We knock on the door, his house is two story too, but the way they use the space over his house, is kinda cool too.

The living room is pretty nice, a white sofa and two brown recliner chairs, his mom seemingly watching a recorded episode of American Idol, judging by the pause and play buttons the the recording line on the bottom of the TV Screen, she's dressed in a blue robe and sipping on Tea out of a mug. She gives us a small smile and a wave.

We go up to his room, it's plastered in stickers and posters of the bands he likes, their touring posters, and it always smells of Lysol. His jet black electric guitar and amp in the closet, peaking out a little bit, wires on the floor.

We talk for a little bit for a couple of hours, mostly about what's going on in our lives, mostly weird stuff we've seen at our respective jobs, me working at Best Buy and him working at a Bowling Alley, mostly his stuff takes the cake, since my stories are mainly about stupid people and dumb thieves, his mostly about fist fights between middle aged men and the like the conversation comes around due to me mentioning me having to go into work in a couple of hours.

He drives me home after eating a couple of Hot Pockets and watching each other play Guitar Hero and I get ready for work, putting on my stupid blue collared shirt the drive to work isn't too far.

I clock in and stuff, it's a pretty slow day today, the sound of the same three Movie Promos played on the new flat screen TVs in the background, The Simpsons Movie, Transformers, Harry Potter and The Order of The Phoenix, all big upcoming summer blockbusters I've been told. All three annoying the hell out of me with it's constant loud noise of promos.

One of the customers I strike up a conversation with seems to be a film school student, buying the DVDs for Office Space, 9 to 5, and American Psycho. Some type of assignment about the American Office worker and why they're seen as the everyman, a paper assignment. I kill time by chit-chatting with co-workers, mostly talking about how annoying the TV promos are, I tell them my story on how I snuck into South Park's: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut, when it came out, being caught by a the ushers and them making my group of friends go see Muppets from Space as a punishment, the theater owner finding it funny and all. My coworkers laugh at this story, finding it pretty amusing.


We close that night, the entire day only just a handful of customers for a reason, I check my phone after the drive home and see I have a couple of missed calls, from Melissa, my girlfriend. I forgot to talk to her today, I say something to myself along the lines of I'll talk to her tomorrow, my mind being so occupied on something else that night, as I turn my keys in the ignition, and walk towards the door entering the house.
Chapter End Notes:
Thought I'd go a little bit more of a regular day for Brandon, him finding a job and all as a flashback, a time when things were normal in his life.