- Text Size +

Rennard and Milton were kept in a massive grotto, with a fresh coursing river, trees of peach and orange and pear and apple and cherry, with bushes of blueberry and cranberry. Sunrocks gave a clear indication of when it was day and night, and the flat, square-like projections of stone from the walls covered in moss were the beds of the room.

“This is more than just magic,” Milton said, sitting amid a bed of flowers by the water and chewing on blueberries. “Her power to manipulate all this. No, not just manipulate, but produce actual food and nourishment from seemingly nothing. It is miraculous.”

“And she’s kind.” Rennard threw a stone across the water. “Seems like it, at least. But there’s that voice in the back of my head, of how it’s too good to be true. Always has been, so far.”

“I can understand her concern,” Milton said. “I haven’t heard a single word about this place. Sending us out with knowledge of this scares her.”

“I hope she has a good plan. For now, I’ll take this.” Rennard and Milton spent the day enjoying the fact that they weren’t on the run, no immediate concern to address. They lay for the most part, spoke of home, of their family and how they rationalized the three boys’ absence. Hopefully they didn’t make too much of a fuss about it, for it to reach that guardhouse in Trester and for the guards there to pin the boys’ shenanigans on their family.

“Trester…” Milton snorted. “That felt like ages ago.”

The great wall of vines parted, and the disciple entered, brushing aside strands of her brown hair. Despite being thirty-five feet tall, the tunnel she emerged from was more than three times as tall as her. She had a crown of leaves atop her scalp, her hair falling just below the jawline. The sleeveless dress reached her knees and was a dull brown, prickled with leaves and flowers. Both Milton and Rennard rose from where they sat relaxed.

She noticed them and walked their way. “Hello there. Is your room to your liking?”

Milton said, “More than fine. We’ve no complaints, really.”

“That’s good. Our goddess told me to look after you.” The disciple arrived before them, half as tall as the usual giants, but still towering over the two.

“What should we call you?” Rennard said. “The others referred to you as the disciple?”

“You can call me that, yes.”

“Do you have a name?” Milton asked.

The disciple stepped over them to the nearby cliff, covered in moss, and sat down against it. “My name is Ester.”

“I’m Milton, and my redheaded friend here is Rennard.”

“The goddess herself will be here shortly to speak with you.” She tucked her knees in and beckoned them over. “Come.” She said it very matter-of-factly.

They did, although not without hesitation. “What’s the matter?”

Once in reach, she grabbed them both and brought them to her, having them lie back over her raised legs. “Are you uncomfortable?”

“Uhm…”

“It’s a tad too, touchy,” Milton stammered, both with the uncomfortable wriggle over her upper leg.

“I hold everyone dearly,” Ester said. “It’s what Goddess Helga has taught us, especially me. Everyone in here is like family.” She was sweet and good-willed, so they remained there. After all they’d been through, complaining over too much kindness would be absurd.

“I’m sorry you’re kept away from everyone else in here,” Ester said. “But it could lead to confusion, the way you talk about the surface.”

“We understand.” Rennard scratched his neck, resting against a flower on her dress. “We’re not eager to meet anyone anyways. We’re eager to go home.”

“If I understand right,” Milton said, “no one in here knows about a surface, a world beyond these caves?”

“They do not. I don’t know much either. Goddess Helga has told me some, she frequently goes out through her secret exit and cleanses the sunrocks while warding away potential intruders.”

“How did you come to be?” Rennard said, brash as usual. “You’re not as large as the normal giants.”

“How large are the normal giants?”

Rennard shrugged, standing tall on her hip instead of leaning against her leg. “Maybe double your size. Also, this Goddess Helga is larger than most giants. Where do you come from?”

“Goddess Helga has been eternal. No one can remember a time before her. I was one of the villagers, but the Goddess has given me her milk and made me strong. Her secretions grant strength.”

“Her milk…? You mean she breastfeeds you?”

“Yes.” It wasn’t strange for her at all.

“The Goddess can turn people giant?” Milton gawped back at all the fruit trees and berry bushes, the sheer life that was produced. “There’s that moment of hesitation in me, but the reality can’t be denied here.”

Ester smiled at that. Milton stepped off her waist as Rennard asked if she had magical powers, and she did, and he heard the sizzle of magic in contact as they likely tested one’s strength against each other. Meanwhile, Milton watched her feet paired together. He compared them to what he remembered of Hilda in the training grounds. Ester and she had a roughly similar build, with Hilda being more athletic, but Hilda and the usual giant’s foot would engulf him easily. Ester’s feet were perhaps two thirds of his length.

“Goddess,” Ester called out, and Milton turned around. Goddess Helga had passed the curtain of vines which were just as tall as her enormous, hundred-foot-height. Ester put Milton down and got on her knees, head lowered. Hesitant and unsure, Milton and Rennard stood beside Ester as Goddess Helga came closer and closer. Despite being the largest giant they’d ever witnessed, her steps were unassuming and quiet. Milton could have sworn he saw a blueberry bush flattened by her sole, and after she’d stepped off it, it rapidly grew back with an instant, richer yield.

“Come, disciple,” Helga said, her voice rich and dark. She sat down cross-legged, her celestial white dress having no trouble re-finding its form over her legs despite her many movements. Helga’s hair was in a crown braid, glowing with a lustrous yellow. But the thing which always drew one’s eyes upon seeing Helga was the translucent, shining dot in the middle of her forehead, pulsating with life.

“It’s time to feed,” she said. Helga slipped her left arm out of the dress and let her breast fall out, a small little globe with a pink nipple. They assumed their roles without any pause, Ester like an infant crawling into Helga’s embrace and grabbing that nipple with her mouth, sucking.

Milton and Rennard gave each other a look. Despite being literally told this was a thing, seeing the breastfeeding in action remained strange.

“Ester here claimed your milk is what has given her that size,” Milton said.

“Indeed. All my secretions provide strength, but there is something special in the milk. I am still improving.”

Rennard raised his eyebrows in amazement, taking his view of the rich gardens in this grotto. “I’ll be damned, ‘still improving’?”

“May I ask where you come from, my lady? How did you come across these powers?”

“I don’t come from anything. I have simply been. It may seem intuitive for you to associate me with a giant, but giants are nothing but large, female humans. I am more. As for our home down here, humans have fallen through the cracks of the surface here-and-there, abandoned by the cruelty of that world, and here I have taken them in gradually, and with my bountiful blessings they thrive.”

“But they don’t seem to know about the world outside of here?” Rennard said.

“The first populations were long, long ago. And it does them well not to know, all the misery and depravity out there. In here, they are safe, and their ignorance of the outside helps their well-being.”

“Speaking of,” Rennard continued, “how well do you know of the outside?”

Helga patted Ester on the shoulder as she sucked. “Some, but not as much as I would like. The Gray Rhinos, the noble houses, the wild east, the kingdom to the west, I know this picture. The latest news and details, I’m unaware. Sometimes I head out to clean the sunrocks, guard the areas. I have produced an illusory barrier around these mountains which makes it unlikely for anyone to pass through above us, but sometimes someone slips in, and I must deal with it.”

“Huh.”

“This has all been very strange for us, my lady,” Milton said with a polite chuckle. “But finally, we have some reprieve, and for that we are thankful.”

“We just hope to return home,” Rennard added. All niceties, the hospitality, the plentiness, it was all very pleasant, but ultimately, returning home was what mattered.

Helga produced a thoughtful hum which made them uneasy, for it wasn’t a yes.

“What makes you doubt?” Rennard said. “What do we need to do to show you we’re harmless?”

Milton cut in. “I understand if us knowing about this place is a scary thing to release out there. But couldn’t you make us forget this? That wouldn’t surprise me, your power is immense.”

“I have thought of that. But I think there’s more potential here. We are disconnected from the world hereunder, yes. I do not wish to keep it that way. One day, I will emerge, with my devout followers whom I have strengthened.” She stroked Ester’s hair as she said that. “And we will end the perpetual war and misery. As we grow, I want us to stay hidden and safe. But when the time comes, I want to be prepared. I want to establish a connection with you two as I have with my people down here. Then, I can communicate with you no matter the distance, and you could help paint me a picture of the world above.”

“Like scouts?” Rennard said, dubious.

“Not so specific. You boys wish to go home, no? What I want are general news.”

The two nodded at one another, the agreement reaching better grounds. “That’s reasonable. It’s not hard to get ahold of big news and what’s happening. A short trip to the capital should capture most of what’s going on.”

“How do we establish this ‘connection’ you described?” Milton said.

“You must ingest my secretions and be near me for some time. Everyone in here is connected with me.”

“Wait, hold on.” Rennard raised his hands. “Let’s be concrete here. Ingesting your secretions, like what Ester is doing now?”

Helga glanced at her. “My milk is a privilege you haven’t earned. It would have to be my spit or my sweat. The people regularly come and worship my feet when they feel despondent, and it rejuvenates their vitality. That would be my recommendation. Not just for the connection, but I wish to see your devotion.”

Ester released the nipple with a wet pop, wiping her lips.

Milton had to cut in before Rennard escalated. “This is something to think about.”

“Indeed,” Helga said. “That is my offer. Take your time and think.”

Towards evening, as the sunrocks above provided the waning, golden light of sunset into the grotto and Milton and Rennard were alone, Rennard said, “Well, is it time for you to convince me why we should lick the sweat off her feet?”

“You’re unbelievable. She has extended us the chance to go, something no one else has done. And it’s not without its reason. She doesn’t want to humiliate us, doesn’t want to put us down. Her reasons are valid, better than anyone we’ve ever faced.”

Rennard hunched down by the waterside, popping a blueberry into his mouth. “Didn’t say I’m against it. That’s where we’re at. I just want to hear the arguments. From the sounds of it, she’s going to join this cataclysm of giants fighting one another up there, hoping to end it all. Her strength is undeniable. Making an ally for free in all that wouldn’t be so bad.”

Milton nodded, impressed. “Yes, exactly. And really, everyone in here worships her. There’s nothing embarrassing about humbling oneself before her, not in here. Did you notice how the verdure comes back to life after she tramples them? I don’t know what she is, but the distinction between her and giants, with giants being big, female humans, and her not being that, I can understand it. I don’t know if I would attribute godhood to her, but there’s something divine there.”

“I feel it too. It’s settled then.”

When Ester came and checked on them, they made their decision clear. They would establish a connection and worship Goddess Helga.