- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This chapter will detail Kanako's part in this story.  There'll be some dialogue, but for the most part it will be a brief retelling of Kanako's history with some alterations I've made here and there.  There will also be a fun little addition at the chapter's end.

The young woman waited in the taxi cab patiently and stoically for well over an hour at this point.  She had made it clear to the driver that she wished for all conversation to be kept to a minimum.  Where some might have seen such an announcement as a show of rudeness, the young lady merely considered it prudent to be honest with whatever company she was in.  If she was in the presence of a close friend, she was more than willing to be quite the conversationalist.  But in the presence of strangers, she felt that the bare minimum was adequate, as long as she wasn't demanding or insulting during conversation.  As far as she was concerned, the young woman found faking pleasantries to be quite the chore.  Better for honesty, even if it might be a bit blunt and crass at times, than to pretend genuine interest only for people to learn later that it was all disingenuous.

It had been a good long while since she had set foot in the quaint little town of Hinata City.  Why the locals had formally chosen to refer to this place as a ‘city' was beyond her.  It may not have been the most rural of places in Japan, but it certainly was a far cry compared to Tokyo, Kyoto,  or Osaka as far as what constituted a city.  Not that the place bothered her, of course.  She preferred more quaint, semi-isolated parts of the country compared to the gigantic urban metropolises that dotted throughout Japan.  Being surrounded in an ocean of strangers in the downtown parts of whichever major city always brought some mild amount of emotional discomfort to her.  Better one genuine person than a thousand fakes and imitators as far as she was concerned.

Speaking of genuine people, it was actually the most genuine person the girl knew as to why she was making this trip out to this quaint little resort town.  More than anyone else in the whole world, this person made the girl's heart flutter in a state of both excitement and serene inner peace at the same time.  He was everything to her.  From the moment they were very small children up to the present, no other person touched her heart more than this individual did.  This boy...no...this man had won her heart outright from now until the end of time, and she could only hope that she would win his heart and help him to love her as much as she loves him.  Though that might be a tall order to fulfill, as she earnestly believed she would love him several magnitudes more than he could show in terms of affection and doting for her.  Even so, she was content if he could show even a fraction of love and interest in her, as her love for him was like an ocean greater than all the oceans on the planet in terms of depth and magnitude.

Who is this man who has this young woman so smitten, you may ask?  Well, the most basic way of putting it is...they are brother and sister.

Now upon hearing that, some would be so tempted to  say "Eww that's f***ing gross!  What the hell is wrong with this girl?!"  Perhaps a bit of backstory is in order, so that there is some better context to this whole thing and people do not become so quick to judge.

For starters, the two are not biological siblings.  The young lady was adopted into the young man's family when she was still in her infant years.  To this day, the young woman knows nothing of her biological parents and does not wish to know of them.  Were they good people who could not afford to raise her on their own?  Were they people who had no business being parents and simply abandoned her shortly after giving birth?  Were they people who tried to look after her, but the state deemed them unfit parents and forced them to relinquish custody of her?  The possibilities as to who her biological parents could be were numerous, yet the young woman felt that such things were best left to be mysteries forever.  She could care less for such things.  Rather her attention was almost entirely dedicated to the family that raised her from infancy to the present, especially the young boy who was for all intents and purposes her older brother, but someone who she hoped would be her husband one day.

From her earliest memories, young Kanako had clung to her older brother Keitaro at every chance she had.  He was always there to help fix whatever scrapes, cuts, and bruises she ended up getting.  He was there to give her piggyback rides home whenever she became too tired to continue walking.  He was the one who sat to listen to her problems, no matter how long she took in explaining them, and he would always give her a hug to help calm her whenever she started crying, usually doing so without warning.  From childhood into their teenage years, Keitaro doted on his little sister regularly, helping her out whenever he had free time.  It was that kind of attention, patience, and above all kindness that made her fall for the young man.

She didn't give a damn whether they were considered siblings by societal standards.  Keitaro made her happy, and that was all that mattered to her.  They may have shared the surname Urashima, but Kanako hoped that with time it would be as husband and wife, not brother and sister.

When Keitaro started applying to get into Tokyo University, Kanako was supportive of his dream at first.  She wanted him to be happy and pursue his passion in life, whatever it would end up being.  When news came that he had failed his entrance exam, and then failed the second time after, Kanako became distraught for Keitaro's sake.  While Keitaro still had the drive to get into that school no matter what, Kanako fretted on her brother's behalf.  How long would it be before disappointment settled in and Keitaro would have to admit defeat?  He could be stubborn at times, but sooner or later the grim realization that he wasn't deemed worthy to be enrolled at Tokyo U would crush his spirit.  It was only a matter of time.

After Keitaro left home and struck out on his own, Kanako became somewhat distraught.  The fact that she wouldn't be able to interact in person with her big brother as often depressed her.  She tried to fill the hole in her heart by distracting herself with other things and the presence of other people.  While she wasn't on bad terms with her adoptive parents, Kanako could never quite bond with them in the familial sense as would be hoped for.  She kept interactions with them brief and as polite as she could, but there was always a sort of emotional rift she had with them.  They weren't strangers to her, but she simply couldn't bring herself to open up to them emotionally as she would with Keitaro.

As for friends and classmates in school, Kanako was the same with them as she was with her parents.  She came off as a withdrawn girl who didn't share much about herself when in school.  At best, the few students she interacted with were acquaintances who she might engage in conversation for a few minutes with.  She tried to keep the tone of her voice polite when speaking and not be confrontational or insulting whenever the dialogue became boring to her.  To Kanako, there was only one person she could truly be herself around and completely open with, and that was Keitaro.

Of course, there was her pet cat, Kuro.  The female feline was the fallback option for Kanako's emotional wellbeing, for though it wasn't the same as talking to a human being, Kanako felt genuine inner peace whenever she embraced and petted her cat in her free time when she was feeling lonely.   Having found her when the cat was a stray and Kanako was entering high school, the two hit it off instantly.  There was an unspoken sense of kinship between them, for Kanako could rely on Kuro for minor tasks like tracking, snatching small items, and even physical assistance in a fight if ever her life was in danger.

There was one instance in her sophomore year when a bully decided that she didn't like Kanako when she perceived Kanako's reticence as being stuck-up and would give her a good beating after school.  Even though Kanako tried to tell the girl to simply leave her alone, the older student wasn't having any of it.  She continually pestered Kanako in school whenever she had the chance, though not to the point of physical violence with the guarantee of reprimand and punishment by the teachers or staff.  She would wait until they were off school grounds and away from any potential witnesses, and then would give little miss ‘goody two shoes' a thrashing she wouldn't soon forget.  

When the older girl cornered Kanako on her walk back home and ready to give her a beatdown, Kuro flew out of nowhere and gave the girl a good scratch on the forehead, making blood run down over her eyes and across her face, partially blinding her in the process.  Kanako and Kuro tagteamed the brute and between a mix of martial arts and catbites and scratches, the older girl ended up being on the receiving end of the beatdown.  Though Kanako was somewhat bruised and heavily winded, she was clearly the victor of the duel.  Afterwards, nobody in school messed with her ever again.  So long as they weren't looking for trouble, they would get none from Kanako in return.

As Kanako was entering her senior year in high school, she learned that Keitaro had filled in for Grandma Hina as manager of the Hinata Hot Springs Inn.  She was certainly glad that he had found both employment and a place to live after being given the boot by their parents.  After a few days of him being away from his former home, Keitaro had left messages on the answering machine and sent the occasional letter home, letting the rest of his family know how things were going.  News of another letter would make Kanako's heart flutter, like a kid waiting for Christmas presents to appear underneath the tree the previous night.

From what could be discerned from the letters Keitaro would send, he seemed to be doing well overall.  While he was still struggling on getting enrolled into Tokyo U, it appeared that he was in good spirits overall.  However, what gravely concerned Kanako was learning that the Hinata Inn was converted into an all-girls dormitory, and that the other tenants were quite young, around Keitaro's age or just a few years below.  That alone made Kanako highly concerned as to what exactly Keitaro had gotten himself into.

As far as Kanako was concerned, she would be damned if she allowed some hussy or trollop to throw herself all over her man.  Keitaro was hers, and she would throw down the gauntlet if that's what it took to make that point clear to any woman who wanted to challenge her for Keitaro's love and affection.

So it was after learning the specifics of Keitaro's new job and residency that Kanako was committed to visit Hinata and claim Keitaro there and then.  Fortunately for her, she was on her way to finishing highschool and would have nothing back home holding her down.  The day of her graduation, Kanako had packed her bags and made off with Kuro towards Hinata, determined to stake her claim on Keitaro and prevent any would-be succubus from sinking her claws into the one man she loved above all others.

Upon her arrival at Hinata House, Kanako's worst fears were confirmed.  Keitaro was in the presence of several lovely young ladies.  However, it appeared that his main affections were directed towards one Naru Narusegawa, a young lady who was also committed to getting into Tokyo U.  That face alone put Kanako even more or her guard.    She was aware of Keitaro's reasoning for getting into that very university.  On the off chance both he and Naru happened to get enrolled together, there was the chance that the urban legend might be more than mere legend.  Kanako didn't want to chance that possibility at all, however remote it may be.

After spending several days at Hinata House and getting to know all the residents of the dorms, as well as the frequent visitor Mutsumi Otohime, Kanako had somewhat changed in her view of the ladies.  None of them were shallow harpies who were out to manipulate or take advantage of Keitaro.  Well, there was that one girl Kitsune who tried to either mooch money out of Keitaro or weasel her way out of rent payments now and then, but beyond that she wasn't such a bad girl.  After getting to know the girls at Hinata House (as well as a series of paranormal events at the Hinata House annex near the dorms), Kanako had somewhat softened in her disposition towards the other tenants, even Naru.  While she was still somewhat obsessive over Keitaro and still wanted to remain by his side, she no longer held wickedness or spite towards the other girls.  They were still potential love rivals in her eyes (especially Naru), but she could at least be somewhat friendly and honest with them.

After the events at the annex and a bonding kiss occurred between Keitaro and Naru, Kanako was momentarily crestfallen by the experience.  She still loved Keitaro, and far more than just as a sister caring for her brother.  While she knew he genuinely loved Naru and wanted to have romantic, intimate relations with her, Kanako still wanted Keitaro to see her the same way as he saw Naru.  She was even willing to go so far as to have a three-way relationship between all of them.  If that was what it took for her to be with the man she loved, then so be it.

These were the thoughts and memories going through Kanako's head as she rode in the taxicab on the way to Hinata House.  Her mind was made up.  She would find a way to convince Keitaro to see her as a woman, as a lover, and even as a future wife (or at least a mistress if he was set on being with Naru as well).  If there was one thing the young girl could be counted on, it was her resolve when it came to matters of the heart.

As the taxi pulled up towards the Hinata cafe & teahouse, Kanako paid the fare and politely went on her way.  With Kuro walking alongside her, she made her way towards the entrance of the building.  Noticing the time of day - by this point the sun was making its way past the horizon and nightfall would soon be approaching - she walked through the entrance and was greeted by the sight of another member of the Urashima family.

"Long time, no see, Aunt Haruka." said Kanako, knowing the title grinded her older cousin's gears everytime she was referred to as such.

The older woman faced Kanako, mild annoyance written clear enough on her face as she responded as politely as she could.

"Hello there, Kanako.  It's been a while."

"Still smoking, dear auntie?" asked the younger girl, "You know those things are likely to kill you in the long run."  Kanako always had a habit of trying to get under Haruka's skin when the opportunity presented itself.  The two of them never did quite get along.

"Your concern is touching, Kana-chan," countered Haruka, "It must be nice to be so care-free and without worries in everyday life that one need not indulge in minor vices just to keep their sanity.  And just ‘Haruka' will do, okay?"

"Alright then, Haruka," retorted the young girl, "Closing up the shop then?"

"Why yes I am.  Care to help out a little bit?  It won't take long."

"Why would I do that?" asked Kanako, still tempted to get on Haruka's nerves for just a little longer.

"Well, for one thing, because families who love and care for each other help each other out with those sorts of things.  And also, because if you don't, I'll be tempted to tell embarrassing stories about you when you were little to the other girls."  Haruka made a habit of keeping an ace up her sleeve when somebody wanted to push her buttons.

Grumbling that her cousin did have a little dirt on her from when she was very little, Kanako decided to play ball.  While it wasn't anything too embarrassing, she would rather not have Haruka recount stories of when Kanako wet the bed when she was little or how often she clung to Keitaro when she was in elementary school, especially during lightning storms during the night.  She would rather not have the other girls, especially Kitsune, Kaolla, or Naru poking fun at her during her stay at the dorms.

"Alright then, Haruka.  What do you need me to do?"

"Just help with locking up the doors and windows.  Also make sure the safe in the back office is locked.  Check to make sure all the light switches are turned off, and help move all the used cups and plates from the sink to the washing machine.  Assist me with that, and we'll be done for the night."

It was more than Kanako desired to take part in.  All the same, she would abide by her cousin's request.  While she and Haruka didn't see eye to eye most of the time, Kanako understood that so long as you didn't cross Haruka, she could be honorable.  If she promised not to gossip about Kanako behind her back so long as her cousin assisted in a chore here or there, then she could be taken at her word.  The same was true in the opposite:  Push Haruka's buttons and she would find a way to make you pay for doing so.

"Very well then.  Let's finish up here.  I'm dying to head up towards the inn and unpack my things.  Maybe even take a soak before it gets too late."  Kanako started earnestly doing as Haruka requested, hoping to finish up as quickly as possible and spend some quality time with Keitaro (ideally just the two of them in either the baths or in his bedroom).

Once the tasks were completed and the cafe was closed for the night, the two women made their way up the steps towards Hinata House.  They didn't engage in much small talk on the way up, for while they were family and even knew each other fairly closely over the years, each woman had a mainly ‘get to the point' attitude where the other woman was concerned.  In a way, Haruka and Kanako were mirror images of each other when it came to bluntness and being brief.  It became a sort of mutual understanding between the two of them, and thus no words needed to pass between them unless it was urgent and required clarification of some sort.

Was such a trait common in Urashima women?  Who can say?  Supposedly, Grandma Hina was somewhat pig-headed and ‘to the point' in her interactions with others, particularly women within the Urashima family.  Maybe it was hereditary in nature, but again, such a concept was fairly speculative at that point.

As they neared the top of the steps, the two women were in turn greeted by three other women.  One of them was rather familiar to Hinata House, though the other two were not as much by comparison.  The latter two had made themselves known at the dormitory in months passed, though their visits were rather brief.  Even so, each of the three women left their own impression upon Hinata House and those who resided in it.

The more commonly known woman was of a motherly nature, at least when it came to her body.  With her seductively wide hips, slim waistline, and of course her profound bosom, she was a walking sex symbol if ever there was one in the entirety of Hinata City.  Her figure gave even Kitsune a run for her money, and that was saying something.  Along with her long, dark chocolate colored hair (at this time tied up in a long braid going down her back), calming facial features, and carefree attitude, she was practically wife material right off the bat.  It was this combination of traits that made Kanako grumble, as she was aware that the woman had some degree of affection for Keitaro and could prove to be another love rival in the near future.

This humble, somewhat airheaded woman was none other than the girl from Okinawa who loved watermelon and kissing people she cared for at random:  the one and only Mutsumi Otohime.

As for the other two women, both of them were rather tall - at least Motoko's height if not taller (somewhere just under six feet tall by both Haruka and Kanako's estimation).  One of them had dark skin, around the same in complexion as Kaolla Su or Nyamo.  Her figure had just as much seductive allure as did Mutsumi's, even if her bosom wasn't as big as the Okinawan girl's is.  Most likely, her breasts were around the same size as Motoko's or Kitsune's, at least that's what Haruka guessed would be the case if she had to make a determination.  Her figure was rather toned, showing an impressive eight pack along the center of her stomach.  The girl had muscle, but not so much that she looked like a hulked-out bodybuilder type of person.  She had just enough to convey raw strength and power to compliment her overall sexual appeal.  Along with her silver hair, blue eyes, statuesque figure, flared hips, long legs, slender neck, and her form of dress (something akin to an exotic belly dancer from India or perhaps somewhere in the Middle East), the woman was Mutsumi's equal in overall charm and seduction.

For the last woman, she was more conservatively dressed than Miss Tall, Dark, and Sexy, though she was by no means unattractive.  Like the previous woman, she was tall as well (perhaps slightly taller than her, though it was difficult to tell at this time), and her height commanded authority in its own regard, especially in how she carried herself.  Dressed in the traditional hakama (in this case, a white hakamashita kimono complimenting the lower deep red andon bakama), the woman's appearance emphasized heritage and honoring the old ways.  Whereas she might at times wear a simple straw hat to cover her face, at this moment she wore no such hat, allowing her face to be shown to the world.  And what a face it was.  Long, silky dark hair cascading around the refined features of her chin, cheekbones, nose, olive-colored eyes, supple lips, and slender neck.  Her face and figure made her appear to be an outright yamamoto nadeshiko.  The air of refinement that emanated from her made both Haruka and Kanako take a momentary pause.  To say that she exuded natural elegance by her very presence would be like saying that Antarctica is a little cold.

In summation of these three newcomers, Haruka and Kanako came to the same realization:  Great, here come three knockout beauties.

Chapter End Notes:

That concludes Kanako's introduction and background.  Next chapter will be some backstory on these three lovely arrivals, though previous chapters have already given some context as to the arrival of at least two of them.  Hopefully the next chapter will be out in a few days.

Hope y'all are enjoying it.