- Text Size +
I thought nothing more of what had happened that evening around the Walter’s house that night, as good as it was in terms of my primal urges I was a man who had morals and a code of ethics and I let them rule me to an extent. Thankfully it was a Friday and I laid my head to rest for the weekend, I wouldn’t need to confront Linda until Monday morning at the earliest. As my eyes began to close I thought back to my times with Joe, the many laughs we had…it didn’t seem all that long ago and now we were on the edge of becoming the most famous men in history.

A peaceful sleep awaited me and the whole weekend seemed to be idyllic. I spent most of the time sitting crossed legged out on the balcony, watching as the waves crashed against the shoreline, seeing families building sandcastles and merely daydreaming of how perfect life seemed here. My fridge had been stocked with enough food to last a few weeks so I wasn’t too worried about going out this weekend and that pay package was enough for me to acquire more than one of the newest videogame consoles, all three in fact. It was only after I had set them up that I completely forgot about needing to sort out my wireless internet connection to get access to the full features, believing I had more time I thought I’d do it later on in the week.

Eventually Sunday night beckoned me to bed, the softness of the moonlight gently easing me to sleep and yet, this time, I was filled with nightmares. I couldn’t quite pinpoint what it was when I awoke but I was bathed in sweat, I hadn’t had nightmares since I was a kid. Not thinking much of it I merely had a cold shower, it was Monday after all and I had a hunch that Linda’s gaze was going to be as cold as ice. My daily routine of eating breakfast was skipped as I realised I had forgotten to set my alarm, this time I rushed out of my door more for lack of time than excitement.

It wasn’t that I was tired of working on the machine, it was just that some of it was so tedious. Some days I would just stand there and saying whether a light came on or not as Joe tinkered with various parts of it or other components he was messing with. Sometimes he didn’t even explain what he was doing, though I was and have always been confident in his abilities as an engineer as well as a scientist.

Arriving at the condo was a sobering experience, the usual sun had been replaced by heavy, dark rain clouds that threatened to open up at any minute. Saying my goodbyes to Ricky, the driver who I had gotten to know fairly well, I rushed to the door with my briefcase held high over my head just in case. As my hand went to knock the door it opened already, surprised I stood there as Linda grinned and beckoned me in.

“Come on Richard, hurry up and get in before it starts to rain,” She said, practically pulling me into the condo as she shut the door behind, an echo filling the house as it slammed behind like a prison jail gate.

“Linda, is Joe down in the basement?” I asked, thinking that perhaps she had completely forgotten about the little misunderstanding we had the Friday before, “I’ve done some calculations he wanted and I know he’d love to see them,”

“I think he’s down there right now working on that machine of his, you better hurry or else he’ll think you’re late,” She smiled, “I’ll bring some tea down for the both of you,”

I smiled, nodded and thanked her in turn. Hanging my coat up and walking past the familiar hallway and over to the door that led down into the basement, opening I saw the light on and, already, began thinking about what Joe may or may not have me doing today.

I got about halfway down the stairs when I noticed the room was empty, a small light on the machine sure but there was no Joe and there was no other sound either. Linda said he had been down here though, and I had little reason to doubt her, so I carried on down and began to call out his name.

No response.

Moving to the machine I looked over it, for a minute I was worried that perhaps something had happened to Joe. Quickly I used what knowledge I had and checked the computer system, hoping that my fears weren’t realised. Is it possible that…?

No, thankfully, the machine hadn’t been activated properly since the last test in the lab according to the computer screen. Joe was safe and sound, at least, he wasn’t I danger from the machine but where was he…I did not know and as I put my briefcase down for the moment I turned and saw the slippered feet of Linda heading down the steps still wearing a nightcoat wrapped about her snugly.

“I thought you said Joe was down here?” I asked quizzically, waving my arms backwards a bit to show he wasn’t.

“He should be…wait,” She said, reaching the bottom step and climbing down to the solid grown, “I remember now, sorry…I must have been half asleep when he told me. Joe’s gone on a business trip up to head office for a bit, he wanted you to just carry on with the work you were doing last week apparently. Sorry about this, he also wanted me to warn you not to break it,”

Linda giggled a little as she finished her sentence and I couldn’t help but smile, that was exactly like Joe. Turning from her and moving back to the machine I picked up a discarded clipboard and looked it over. Joe had seemingly done some work over the weekend and I nodded to myself as I made sure he was correct which, as you can expect, he was.

“So what’s the use of this shrink ray anyway?” Linda asked, walking over to it and tapping the top idly like it was just some box.

“It’s more than just a shrink ray, it can make things grow larger too. Back in the lab they…” I said before Linda cut me off.

“Yes yes I know all about the bloody apple, you’d think Joe just discovered the answer to life the way he goes on about that fruit,” She said, crouching down a bit and appearing into one of the opened tubes of the machine.

“I’m sure you can understand Linda that maybe this is just that? Maybe we can solve world hunger right here and right now?” I said, lowering the clipboard and taking a gander at this miracle machine myself.

“Whatever you say, I’m not one of you science buffs anyway so don’t expect me to be much help,” Linda said, moving around the other side of the machine to inspect a looking at the screen, “Hey…what’s this?”

“What?” I asked, turning to her and becoming a bit annoyed at her questions. I would have preferred her away from here, she made me uneasy.

“There’s something stuck inside at the end, take a look,” She said, pressing the matter and pointing to the end and then to the screen with her other adequately nailed finger.

Sighing under my breath I moved around the other end, lowering myself to take a look inside. I couldn’t see anything out of the ordinary and I stood up to full height again, slightly more than Linda.

“I don’t see anything, what’s the screen say?” I asked before I saw her hand idly reach towards a small button on the device, time stood still and I could do nothing to stop her.

I thought I had died, the light was so bright, my ears ringing tremendously as I finally was able to see better. I was on my back for sure, above me was one of the basement lights swinging idly, pushing myself up with one hand I looked to my left.

That is when I saw it, the large pink fluffed thing standing just to my left…it was truly huge. Just bigger than my whole body in length. Looking to the right I saw another, crawling backwards a bit as I fell back once more in astonishment. These strange objects hadn’t been there before but the truth only hit me as I looked up.

The pink objects were attached to something much larger and much more beautiful. Towering above me was Linda, her humongous slippered feet of either side of me as I just laid back and stared with awe. This could not be happening.

The bitch couldn’t have shrunk me.

This was, sadly, the truth of the matter and the grin on her face was terrifying as her hand reached down to me. I was too terrified to resist as the fingers that had once been smaller than my own grasp about me and lifted me into the air, closing tight about me and cutting off all light.

My hell had just begun.

I hate fucking Monday mornings.