- Text Size +
Waking up the next day I was excited, so much so I almost forgot to have a shower. Thankfully my better senses reminded me to get clean, even though Joe was my best friend he still was my employer and I had to make a good impression. That hour from waking up and getting in the car really dragged on, eating breakfast seemed more like a chore than an enjoyable activity. I needed to keep reminding myself that soon, soon I would be able to see this miracle machine at work.

My eyes were glued to my watch until, finally, at 8am just about, I heard the honk of a car horn. I sped out that door faster than a cheetah after its meal, quickly locking it behind me and moving to the car.

”Thank you,” I said as the chauffeur opened the door for me as had been done the day before and I climbed in, getting comfortable on the leather interior and adjusting my tie as I watched the beautiful houses go by. This city was truly a wonderful place, populated by a large amount and yet there was little crime here, it was one of the success stories of society and it made me feel glad I was no longer in London.

I could tell when we reached Joe and Linda’s home as the limo began to slow down. It stood detached a bit from the other houses, in the background the ocean moving back and forth and a garden that looked like it had just meant to have been there. As the door opened for me and I stepped out I saw the front door of the house open, Joe striding out towards me as he had done at the airport and taking my hand once more.

“Just in time, if you had been late you would’ve been carted all the way back to England,” Joe laughed, waving the driver off, I wasn’t too sure if he was serious or not for once.

As I moved towards the front door with Joseph I almost fell flat on my face when a figure emerged between the frame. Her hair fell down to her shoulders and her face was that of perfection, big green eyes and a body to kill for staring at me. If she hadn’t been Joe’s wife I would’ve done anything to get her, I was notorious for getting my woman back in the Uni days.

“Joe…is this Richard you’ve been telling me all about?” She smiled, her clothing hugging her figure perfectly as she walked towards us and, surprisingly, embraced me in a hug that left me wanting it to go on for longer, “He’s told me all about you and some of what you guys got up to in your younger days, I tell you now he still hasn’t grown up,”

“Haha, it’s a pleasure to meet you Mrs. Walters,” I said, a little nervous, her American voice was quaint and yet sophisticated.

“Please, in my house call me Linda and I’ll be calling you Richard so we’re cool with that,” Linda said, grabbing me by the arm and pulling, “Come in! I’ve just made tea for us all, you must tell me about your trip,”

For the next half an hour or so I sat there drinking tea with Linda and Joe, telling them about the horrid flight I had the day before and catching them both up to what I had done since getting my degree. Sadly it wasn’t exciting as making a large apple but it kept them entertained enough, complimenting their home every so often as it seemed the right thing to do, though Joe would regularly knock down my attempts at pleasantries with a laugh and the embarrassing stories he had of me.

“Well, I’m sure you didn’t come here just to see me and drink tea,” Joe said all of a sudden, standing up with a wide grin, “Follow me down to the basement and I’ll show you the machine, Linda do you think you could take care of this?”

With a sigh and a smile Linda stood up and began collecting our cups, I offered a thank you and she merely winked at me oddly. Shrugging the event off I followed Joe down into the dark of the basement, dark until he switched the lights on of course.

Soon the whole room was visible, it was practically empty except for some old toys in the corner, according to Joe the family before them had left them there and I noticed a large box, wrapped up with tape. I didn’t inquire as my eyes were soon drawn to the table, sitting upon it was it, the machine.

“There she is Richard, my wife calls it the Shrink-Ray, off of the old tv shows y’know?” He smiled, walking over to it and tampering with a few buttons.

I followed him over, looking at the small screen attached to it and then the long, ‘gun-barrel’ like tube that stretched a few inches outwards. To be honest the machine confused the living hell out of me but I was hoping he’d teach me soon enough.

“I’d love to show you it working but I can’t risk something going wrong in my home, I’m sure you understand. That doesn’t mean we can’t do maintenance work and other things, I’m trying to get this thing to do more than just make things bigger or smaller. Perhaps I can make it replicate molecules…” He smiled, reminding me of the mad scientists from the old kids cartoons back in the day.

“Full of ambition as always,” I joked, looking at the machine once more, “So tell me a bit more about it?”

I spent the day sipping various drinks and eating many biscuits while Joe explained to me the complexities of how the machine worked. Sure it was going to take me a long time to understand but I was getting paid for it, money was never my big motivation but, well, let’s just say my apartment was looking a bit bare.

The next couple of days were the same, though I noticed Linda more than Joe around the place. She seemed a little too friendly perhaps, no offence to my friend of course but she certainly was very touchy feely. Normally I wouldn’t mind this but I couldn’t let my emotions get the better of me, it all boiled down into one moment however, after about a week of my visits to the Walter household.

It was lunchtime and the three of us sat around the kitchen table listening to Joe talk about how the changes at the lab were going. I was casually listening and catching a glimpse of Linda as I felt something brush up against my leg, I thought perhaps they had a pet or something but then I remembered Joe’s allergic reaction to cats and dogs, he had a problem with the fur you see and I knew it couldn’t be that. Looking down my eyes, sneakily, caught a glimpse of Linda’s red manicured toes running gently along my leg.

I gulped, looking to Linda but she seemed engrossed in what Joe was saying. I’ll admit now I’ve always had a thing for that ‘area’ of the female anatomy, I’m not saying I don’t appreciate other things but that area certainly sets a few bells ringing that’s for sure.

The foot moved upwards until I found it resting on the edge of my thigh, Linda seemed to know exactly what she was doing as her big toe gently poked at my groin area. I managed to contain myself long enough as the foot pressed against me fully and firmly, only was I saved by the phone ringing.

As Linda stood I could swear she winked at me once more, my eyes following those beautiful bare naked feet of hers as they stepped across the floor and out of the kitchen to get the phone.

I didn’t tell Joe what happened, I couldn’t. As I left the house that day I saw Joe head down to the basement and I decided to take my chance. Entering the living room I saw Linda laying upon the sofa, her feet propped up on the coffee table.

“Linda,” I said firmly, “What happened earlier…”

I began, looking at her than her feet before forcing myself back to her eyes.

“You liked it Rich, you know you did…I’ve seen you spying on my feet…I couldn’t help but take the chance,” She grinned, her toes curling as she spoke. I had no idea my occasional glances had been that obvious before, I thought I had been discreet about it.

“What I like and what I want is entirely different things, I’m sorry Linda but this can’t happen,” I repeated my firm stance as she stood up, walking over to me and pressing herself against me.

“Come on Rich…Joe wouldn’t even know…” Her voice tempted me like a siren, calling me to the rocks.

“No,” I said, shrugging her hand off my shoulder and turning my back on her.

I did not see the annoyed look in her eyes as I left, her teeth clenched and fists closing tight as she watched me leave her home. Linda wasn’t going to forget this, I certainly didn’t know what to expect but I didn’t expect her to be so twisted and far gone.

In hindsight I should have told Joe.