- Text Size +

Eddie woke up nearly in tears. He looked around his bedroom and breathed a deep sigh of relief. Not only was he in his own bed, but the room was just as he remembered. He made his way to the bathroom and tried to comprehend the terrible dreams that he had.


Splashing cold water on his face, he glanced at his watch. 5:30am was the reading. His head hurt from all the alcohol he consumed the day before, and his stomach was hurting from lack of food. Slowly he made his way out to the kitchen and started the coffee maker.


He wasn’t due in at work until 8, and he realized that he made a terrible mistake in hurting Brenda. He wanted to call, but wanted to give her space. He would try around 7. If she wanted to talk, she would. But if she didn’t, at least she would know that he called.


After coffee, breakfast and a shower, he dialed her parents house. Her mom, Diane, answered the phone. She didn’t sound happy to be talking to him, but Eddie asked if Brenda was around. Diane paused, and reluctantly said yes and gave the phone to her daughter.


Awkwardly, Eddie nervously apologized and begged her for forgiveness. He started crying. She was the love of life, and he committed the cardinal sin of cheating on her with a women he didn’t know. 


Brenda paused for a moment, her voice quivering an acceptance. But there would be changes. She would not go through that again. She made sure that Eddie understood that things would be changing, and he was going to have to accept what happens without complaint.


Eddie desperately and excitedly said he would accept her terms without question. He told her that he would do anything she asked, he just wanted her to come home. Brenda said that she would be home by the time he got done work. Eddie told her he loved her, and Brenda responded that she knew, and reminded him that things would be different from now on.


Brenda hung up and Eddie left for work. He was in a good mood. The memories of his terrible dreams faded as his thoughts turned towards Brenda. He decided that he was going to have flowers waiting for her when she returned home. He had trouble concentrating on work, but managed to make it through the day.


When Brenda had turned up at her parents door, she was in tears and crying hysterically. Her parents asked her what was wrong, but deep down Diane knew the answer. 


Brenda entered and recognized the lady that was visiting her mom. Her name was Ezmeralda. Brenda knew her as her mom’s gypsy friend. Her parents knew a lot of people who would be considered odd or strange to other people. But her parents were of the peace and love generation, and they developed strong friendships with a close knit group of friends.


Upon seeing Brenda upset, and hearing the details. Ezmeralda offered to help. Brenda didn’t understand the offer, but didn’t want to be rude to the lady that she knew her whole life. Ezmeralda calmly explained that true gypsies knew of unspeakable ways of changing things for the betterment of society. It was just that it could only be used once, and only for special friends.


Brenda still couldn’t think straight, but listened as the gypsy asked for her wishes. Without thinking, Brenda gave answers without serious thought. Ezmeralda, on the other hand, made a list from Brenda’s responses, and tweaked the list with her own personal touch. 


Ezmeralda looked at Brenda, and then at Diane, and asked her old friend if she could talk to her in private.

Once alone, Ezmeralda explained to Diane what she had in mind, and she would need her old friend to buy in and accept the results of the what she wanted to do. 


Diane didn’t blink. She had known Ezmeralda for many years and trusted her judgment. Ezmeralda also explained that once changes occurred, only Eddie and Diane and Ezmeralda and Brenda would know how things used to be. Diane nodded. She thought about her husband Anthony, but thought that he wouldn’t mind in the least. He was always very open minded about things. But Diane also thought about her son Robert, and how he would be affected. But Robert was capable of handling anything. Besides, it was more important to her that Brenda feel better. So Diane and Ezmeralda agreed. 


Once Ezmeralda was back with her village, she would put things in motion and let it run its course. Brenda had no idea of what her mom and her friend discussed. Diane talked about life with Brenda, and stressed to her daughter that if she were to get back with Eddie, she would have to stress that things were going to change. Brenda said she understood.


Diane then discussed with Brenda everything that she and Ezmeralda talked about. Brenda’s mind had cleared enough to understand what her mom said, but assumed that she was joking. She could tell by her mom’s expression that she was serious. Brenda was about to say something when Diane continued. She explained what was going to happen, and that only a couple of people would know how things used to be. She stressed to her daughter to have faith in what Ezmeralda was going to do, and how things were going to be for the best. 


When Brenda returned home, there was a giant vase filled with roses, and a note from Eddie apologizing again and telling her that he loved her. Brenda struggled to bring the large vase inside, but she managed. She made her way to the kitchen to make herself a cup of coffee, and just sat at the table and waited for Eddie to come home.


At 6, Eddie walked through the door and gave Brenda a big hug. He tried to kiss her, but she turned her head. Eddie realized that he was going to have to earn her trust if he wanted a kiss.


Brenda motioned for Eddie to sit on the sofa with her. They took their seats, Brenda looking up at Eddie. Brenda started talking. She said that it might take a while for the hurt to subside and for her to trust him. She stressed that things were going to be much different going forward, and that he should get used to a new world. 


Eddie was so happy that Brenda was home that he didn’t understand what she was saying. All he could think of was taking her to the bedroom and having some makeup sex. So he just kept nodding his head as she spoke. It was when she stopped talking that the room started to spin for the both of them. 


The spinning stopped. Both Brenda and Eddie felt the need to get sick, but fought the urge. It was then that they noticed the changes. Both were seated on the sofa, but instead of Brenda looking up at Eddie, he was looking up at her, and by a lot. He had a panicked look on his face. He looked at his larger wife and looked around the room. The living room was different. He didn’t recognize any furniture. Everything looked bigger. 


Eddie had to hop down off the sofa. He felt disoriented. Brenda stood up. Even though he was wearing shoes and she wasn’t, he only came up to just past her midsection. He looked up at her and couldn’t speak. He didn’t know what had happened, but he knew that this wasn’t a dream. He didn’t know what to do.