- Text Size +

Eddie was still trying to comprehend what had just occurred. The whole world, every single person on the face of the Earth changed suddenly. His thoughts stuck with his parents. He wanted to call them to make sure that they were all right. But he was snapped out of his confusion by the sound of the phone ringing. 


He looked around and saw it was on a table near the sofa. He walked over to the phone, his head barely taller than the table on which it sat. He picked up and answered. He recognized the voice on the other end as Diane, Brenda's mom. She asked to speak to her daughter. Eddie tried to ask her questions about what had happened, but a large hand effortlessly took the phone away from him. 


Brenda told Eddie that she needed to talk to her mom in private, and told him to go to the bedroom until she was finished. Eddie objected, stating that he was her husband, and he wanted to know what the hell was going on.


Brenda told her mom that she would be right back, put down the phone, and grabbed Eddie by the hand and, without any trouble, dragged him into the bedroom. She bent down far enough for her face to tower over his, and told him that the next time he talked back to her, or showed her disrespect, he wouldn't be as fortunate as he was now. 


Eddie backed up once he saw the look on Brenda's face. She asked him if he understood. Eddie could only manage a weak ‘yes, ma’am’, and with that, Brenda stood up and walk out of the room, closing the door behind her.


Eddie leaned against a bed that came up to his chest. He put his face in his hands. After the room stopped spinning and the world changed, Brenda told him that she was the same girl he married. He knew it was bullshit. Brenda acted drunk on power, treating him like a little kid. In fact, the dominant thought running through Eddie's mind was that all women were behaving like Brenda. God, he thought, hell couldn't be any worse if true.


About 20 minutes later he heard Brenda open the bedroom door. He just looked down at the floor. Brenda told him that they were going to her mom's house. Eddie said that he didn't want to go, but Brenda said he was and that was the end of the discussion. Eddie looked up at her with a mixture of contempt, rage, and hatred. The woman he loved more than anything in the world had completely become a new person, and he didn't like it at all. 


But whether he liked it or not, he was going to his in-laws. And as they left the house and approached a car that he did not recognize, he didn't see his car anywhere. He asked Brenda what happened to his car, and she smiled and told him that men didn't drive. Eddie didn't believe her, but she was serious. Men weren't tall enough to drive safely, so only women were allowed. 


Eddie started to feel humiliated, but it was nothing compared to what he felt when the car door opened and he saw a booster seat on the passenger side of the car. Brenda lifted him up onto the booster seat and buckled him in. Eddie felt tears welling up in his eyes. Seated next to her, he was almost level with Brenda's mouth. 


The car ride to Diane’s house was in near silence. Brenda was in her own world accepting the new reality, one in which she was initially skeptical about, but once her mom explained everything that would change, and how people would change with it, she was beginning to love the new world. It was reassuring to know that men would no longer be able to cheat on their wives or girlfriends. She loved Eddie when she married him, but he broke her heart with some floozy from the bar. She deserved better, and thanks to Esmeralda, she got what she deserved.


Remembering his dream, Eddie asked Brenda what their last name was. Brenda thought for a moment, as she actually didn't know. So when the car pulled up to a red light, she got her license from her wallet. The name read Brenda Morina. She had trouble remembering where she heard that name before. 


Then it dawned on her. The first member of her mom's family to come to America was a woman, Luciana Morina. She arrived in the late 1870s. So obviously, with the changes, men took the last name of their wives.  So, Brenda told Eddie that his last name was Morina. 


Soon, Brenda and Eddie were pulling into her parent's development. Eddie was getting a weird feeling in his stomach. Brenda had completely changed once the world did. How would her mother behave? Like her daughter? Or with more sympathy for the plight of the men who were now weaker sex? Eddie didn't want to think about it anymore, but his mind overruled his heart. He dreaded to see Brenda's father, Anthony. He was a physically large man around 2 hours ago. What would he be like now? 


Suddenly, Eddie realized that Brenda pulled into the driveway. He recognized the address. He didn't recognize the house. And he didn't recognize the car parked in the carport. Brenda unbuckled Eddie and told him that she would lift him out of the seat. Eddie closed his eyes with those words.