- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

At day's end, a plot takes shape. 

The day had waned, time passing by despite Lyza's desire for it not to. 


To return home now, to be faced with another one of Matthias's rants- it was far from an appealing problem to face. Even with her lucky prize in tow, or underfoot were she to be more specific, Lyza was more than certain that the incredibly aggravating, revolting, and mind numbing scientist would find something to complain about. He always seemed to, regardless of how well things were turning in their favor.


Be that as it may though, the Designer held no regrets over taking this time away from everything for the sake of her mental health. Clearing her mind of all the troubles ahead, the burdens she'd face in trying to get rid of her own sister, was a priority in her eyes. Lyza couldn't plan a usurpation on an addled mind after all. Even outside of the danger she faced on a seemingly daily basis now, when she felt as though the world was at her fingertips, the Designer understood the importance of just taking a step back to take a much needed breather. 


And thankfully, it seemed as though she wasn't the only one who shared that sort of sentiment. 


Even if he hardly spoke of what the two of them got up to, Aiden… actually enjoyed his little outing with Lyza. Perhaps more than he probably should, considering she had just kidnapped someone. Whether that spoke much of himself, or how influential those like Lyza and Maya were on his sense of morality, Aiden would prefer not having that question answered. At least not today. 


But what can be said with clarity was that his conscience was shockingly clear. Clean as a whistle.


The beta was pleased that He and Lyza had managed to find something, someone, worth keeping alive- if only just to further learn what they might know. 


What would happen to them after that… admittedly, Aiden preferred not to care about that. Better them than him, that was how he's chosen to view things now. That type of philosophy was much easier on his sanity, and hopefully his physical well-being as well. 


Even then, he could not say it wasn’t a fortuitous day. Even if it felt monotonous at points, the bottom line of it all was that He and Lyza had something to show for their actions. A demonstration to all, Matthias most of all, that some good came out of Lyza's need to relax. . 


Of course, that was easier said than done. Matthias, the grouchy scientist he was, would find flaws in just about anything presented to him. Regardless of whether or not it'd actually be of help, he seemed intent on belittling those not worth his attention: Lyza most of all. 


Quite the ornery Bastard, and someone the Designer was very much not looking forward to talking to again.


“I just know Matthias is going to have shit to say,” The Designer complained with a groan. She ran her fingers through her silvery hair, straightening it out so as to at least appear more professional. “Doesn't matter what I do, it's like he's made it his goal to complain about me every chance I get. It doesn't matter what I do, it's just never enough for him. Oh, what I wouldn't give to have him underfoot one day! Pressing my heel on his back until I eventually hear the 'CRUNCH’!”


Poking his head out of Lyza's jacket pocket, Aiden sighed. He understood where Lyza was coming from… minus the bloodthirsty execution part. It was no mystery that Matthias was difficult to please. Even Roxanne had difficulty speaking with him, and they had history together. 


But he was particularly tough on Lyza. In a manner similar to how she once disliked Aiden actually. Seeing everything they did wrong, getting annoyed when they talked back, or tried to act as though they were on equal footing, it was a clear superiority complex gone rampant. One which was very much fueled by an incredibly one-sided hatred. 


There was just no end to the number of frustrations that man could deliver. 


Thankfully, Aiden had something up his sleeve that was just perfect in getting over such an attitude. A form of mental resolve he developed just so he could make the first few years knowing Lyza bearable. 


“Want my advice?” He asked, hardly waiting for Lyza to take notice of him before answering. “Ignore him. I did it to you plenty of times, and look where we're at now.” 


Lyza grimaced, remembering the swift punishments she'd deliver onto Aiden whenever he 'bit back’ against her. While he was invulnerable to most forms of pain… she proved she could be equally as creative as his body was tough. And there was never a shortage of ideas she had.


Similarly, the Designer could already picture the words her unfortunate ally might say. None of which were pleasant. While he might not be able to do anything to her physically, the splitting headache she'd develop from just hearing Matthias whine was all the punishment she needed and then some. “Yeah… I doubt that's going to work.”


If only there was a way to just… get rid of him. Temporarily of course, but just long enough that Lyza wouldn't have to hear his annoying voice on a daily basis. “It's a real shame Roxy needs him. Otherwise I would have already gotten rid of the Bastard myself.” Upon mentioning the more competent scientist's name, the Designer bit her tongue. 


She looked down at Aiden, watching as the smaller Beta's focus just… fumbled, the moment she mentioned Roxanne. “Sorry about that,” despite what they talked about previously, bringing up the blond scientist was still a sore topic. An open wound that could only be needed one way. “...think you're ready to make amends with her?”


No matter how often Aiden found himself playing the conversation in his head, he was by no measure certain of just how he'd even make amends with Roxanne. He's been unfair to her, giving her the cold shoulder when she thought to keep him in the dark. He was angry, understandably, but the scientist's reasons… were sound.  What he didn't need to know wouldn't hurt him, and at the moment of time he did believe he was doing right by everyone. Aiden wished to pull his own weight, and Roxanne helped him achieve that goal. 


So why… was it so hard to forgive her when he's already taken LEAPS to make amends with someone like Maya?


Aiden didn't know. And that alone frustrated him. 


“I'm… I'm sure I'll figure something out.” The beta remarked, uncertainty staining ever one of his words. 


Lyza smiled. She could tell he was thinking deeply on what he might say. Most likely, a simple 'sorry’ might be just what's needed to mend this broken bridge. Would the designer share such insight though? Of course not. This was something Aiden needed to do on his own. “Yeah. I'm sure you will.”


She had the utmost confidence that he would do the right thing.


Taking a breath, Lyza stepped inside the building; already mentally preparing for what was no doubt bound to be an earful from her ever annoying burden, Matthias. She could feel Aiden seize up, his sudden return giving him even less time to prepare his apologies for Roxanne.


To the designer's surprise, however, after quickly making her way up to the building's top floor, she found that the irritable scientist was… strangely nowhere to be seen. An odd sight, or lack thereof, as he'd often be found glued to the screen of his laptop tinkering away at God knows what. 


Lyza looked around, from his desk to possibly other rooms, certain that Matthias's irritable voice would eventually ring out just to bleed her ears. To ridicule and insult her- call her out on poorly thought actions. That's what he likely viewed this outing of hers as, after all. A poorly thought out course of action, born of a desire to be free of the stuffy atmosphere of the garment factory. 


Not an entirely inaccurate statement, though that didn't mean Lyza wished to hear it. 


But no matter where Lyza looked, Matthias was nowhere to be seen. Not a trace or idea of where he went. Instead, it seemed that only Roxanne and Maya were present; the both of them greatly enjoyed each other's company. Laughing between themselves, one can only assume they were sharing stories of their respective bloodied history. They both have quite the heinous record between themselves, so of course they'd wish to share in past revelries.


Such pleasantries however meant that they were in no way paying attention to the designer's return. They likely didn't even hear her come in considering they were still chuckling up a storm. It was honestly rather annoying to be ignored in such a way. It got to a point where Lyza actually needed to force a cough out for Roxanne to finally take notice of her sudden appearance. 


“Oh! Hey!” The Blonde Scientist waved, a look of surprise on her face. Maya turned as well, a look of joy spreading across the shrunken woman's face upon seeing her beloved Girlfriend's return. Roxanne's surprise slowly turned into mild amusement the moment she saw Lyza's foot tapping against the floor. “Oh, come on. Cut me some slack, I didn't hear you come in. I wasn't even sure if you'd be back so soon. Thought you'd probably want to take your time or something.” 


Looking to the nearest window, the Designer took notice of how the world outside just continued to grow darker with each passing moment. “Soon?” Lyza questioned. “It's already evening. Nearly nighttime. Aiden and I just got back after spending most of the day out.” 


Confused at first, it wasn't until she reached for her phone did Roxanne find herself taken aback by just how late it had gotten. “Oh wow, time really just FLY on by!” The hours in the day, it seemed, were completely ignored by the Scientist and her much smaller companion. To the point where neither had actually kept track up until this very moment. “See, this is what happens when Maya and I start talking. We just never stop.” True, considering they had much to share over recent events. 


It was rather humorous, all things considered. After taking so many measures to remain aware and safe of the world around them, to think Roxanne and Maya would be so reckless as to talk without inhibition, rendering them unaware over just how much time they wasted speaking to each other. The former couldn't even help but chuckle in response to her own carelessness. 


Not that it mattered though. Roxanne had already done what she needed to do. She deserved some peace with some pleasant company.


“Well come on, come on,” the blonde scientist gestured forward, requesting Lyza and Aiden to pull up a seat. “We weren't doing much at the moment, just talking about ourselves- our interests and hobbies, you know how small talk is. But now that you're back, we can really get down to business!” 


Annoyance turned to intrigue, and Lyza smiled at what Roxanne was implying. “Oh? So I take it you spent this time alone with my Girlfriend well? Got what you needed out of her?” 


“That and then some!” Roxanne responded with pride. “With consent of course, I wouldn't want to lay a hand on Maya without her permission. And with all we managed, you are just going to LOVE what I have in store. LOVE IT!”


Lyza just loved the enthusiasm she was seeing. It wasn't everyday someone had a super genius ready to show off their work to them. So, pulling up a seat directly besides Roxanne, the designer urged her onward. “Well don't just keep me in suspense here. Give me the details!” 


Before that though, Lyza needed to get comfortable. Wearing a jacket all day really did work up a sweat for her. She needed to be rid of it before a certain beta in her pocket drowned. Gently, she removed her little passenger from her pocket. After a long day, some rest was well deserved. For both of them. Before departing with him completely however, Lyza raised Aiden up to her lips so that she might plant a gentle kiss on his upper body. 


Though a small peck in comparison to something more… enjoyable, She knew her lips were more than large enough to cover a great deal of her companions torso. Effectively the entire thing. They were an indomitable obstacle in their own right when faced off against someone so small, yet Lyza ensured that the embrace was as soft and as gentle as can be. Aiden would complain if he didn't get enough air otherwise, and any deeper might provoke the designer to simply swallow him whole; adorable, scrumptious snack that he is. 


No, a quick peck was more than enough here. A reminder of how, despite their rough beginnings, Lyza truly has come to appreciate Aiden's company. He was a good confidante, and despite his generally quiet nature he at times had worthwhile advice to give. 


He'd do well to remember though that the advice of others can be just as beneficial as anything he might say. 


Lyza didn't say a word, nor did she even think to meet the smaller Beta's surprised eyes. There was no need. Her actions said enough; not just to Aiden but for all who saw the tender exchange. Maya most of all, the Psychopath only able to smile as her two favorite people reached the culmination of their relationship. At least for the time being anyway. There's no telling what might change in a future yet to come.


A healthier relationship than any she could have asked for, when compared to those she already had. This was Lyza's form of a “thank you”. Appreciation for putting up with her for not just the day, but for the entire time the two of them have known each other. 


Setting Aiden beside Maya, the much larger Beta quickly took her One and Only into her arms, showering his little head further with even more kisses. Lyza couldn't help but perk up at the sight. “Come now Maya, you should give him at least a little break. He was already stuck with me for the whole day, now you're just tormenting him.”


Then again, tormenting her favorite beta with an onslaught of smooches was probably the only thing on Maya's mind right now. And ignored though she was, Lyza still found it to be… lovely. 


In her own twisted way, Maya still loved Aiden. She always would, in a way the Designer would never truly understand. And that was okay. Lyza was pleased so long as her girlfriend was happy. 


Besides, she still relished in watching Aiden's blushing face contort into a mixture of confusion, pleasure… and fear; his body resisting but the mind accepting of even a little pleasure. 


He truly was adorable when he struggled. 


“You know, I probably shouldn't say anything, 'cause I'd hate to be a jinx, but I'm kinda glad Matthias isn't here to ruin this,” Lyza admitted to Roxanne, the scientist watching on as well; waiting as patiently as she could, not wanting to ruin the moment. “Things are just so much nicer when he isn't here running his mouth, getting up in my face for no reason other than to piss me off. It's peaceful. Something he's apparently entirely against.”


But as with all things, nothing good can last forever, even if it's Lyza's good mood that inevitably got ruined. She knew that, at one point or another, she'd have to ask the oh so important question. “That being said, where IS Matthias? Off to annoy someone else? Or is he planning some special way to give me a headache tonight?” 


Roxanne's expression turned maliciously gleeful, her magenta eyes lighting up as she seemed almost… giddy to answer the question. “Nothing quite like that…” she responded with barely concealed excitement. “He IS closer than you think though. Just a bit… on the shorter side of things now.” 


Raising her leg up, the scientist rested her foot on top of the desk; interrupting Maya's little kissy session but also revealing to Lyza what it was that had her so excited. The Designer took notice of how her little girlfriend's expression changed as well. She too was excited, eager and aware of what Roxanne wanted to show off. It was even enough to take her attention away from her beloved Aiden. 


“We had something of a disagreement,” the blonde scientist explained. “Matty was getting uppity, so I had to find someplace where he could calm down in peace.”


“I'd like to think I chose an appropriate spot for him~.”


On her foot, her ankle to be precise, a golden chain immediately drew Lyza's attention. The designer observed it carefully, noting it to be one of hers. While jewelry wasn't ever really the major selling point of her company, having different sources of income outside of just clothing was always a smart move of her practice. Affordable, easy to make, and still quite nice to look at, Lyza would recognize her brand anywhere. An absolute improvement over anything her sister's company might make too. 


“I hope you don't mind, but I may have snatched this from your jewelry collection,” Roxanne confessed. When she saw herself being given the stink eye, she only shrugged. “What? It's not like you were using it anyway. And besides, I'm putting it to good use. I needed to find someplace to relocate our little ‘headache'.


“Our headache?” The Designer parroted. 


Not initially paying much attention to what Roxanne was saying, it wasn't until Lyza focused more on the anklet did she spot something a tad bit more… peculiar. 


Seeing what had been fashioned to the golden chain, the scientist's words finally clicked. Like a puzzle with its pieces finally coming together, she could see it. There, with arms and legs bound to the gilded threads of the anklet by way of some adhesive, Matthias rested; Bruised and bloodied, his naked form, far smaller than any 'normal’ beta Lyza's seen. A clear indication of what had transpired while she and Aiden were gone. 


From the looks of it, the now belittled scientist might even be smaller than the aforementioned beta- back when he was nothing more than half an inch in height. To be smaller than even that, kept fashioned to and treated as an accessory… even Lyza couldn't imagine what must be going through Matthias's head. 


And what she wouldn't give to see what he must have been thinking the few moments before his fall from grace. 


That is, if his mind was even intact at this point. There's no telling if it broke the moment he realized he was little more than a bug now in a world ruled by those hundreds of times his size. 


In any case, the designer wasn't exactly sure of what to make of all this. She was aware that Matthias was a slimy bastard. An annoyance that she was very much forced to deal with until now. But to be shrunken down, seemingly at Roxanne's hands, only one question really presented itself. “Why?”


It wasn't a stretch to think that Maya might have had a role to play in persuading Roxanne to shrink her own friend. That's what Lyza thought the two were, after all. Friends. A bond formed through years of hard work. If that was the case, then it only made sense that Maya, the little psychopath that she was, would have been the one to guide the hand that ultimately soiled Matthias's life. She lives for bloody betrayal such as that. 


And yet when looking into Roxanne's eyes, watching the smile that spread across her lips, Lyza saw only one thing– Pride. Joy in taking revenge on someone who had in some way wounded her. 


The gears in Lyza's head were turning. It was Matthias's own fault for being thrown into this situation. It had to be. Something said that didn't sit right with the others, or a mistake during experiments that reduced him to this meager size. There was an explanation here, Lyza knew that much. It was only a matter of finding out what it was. 


Roxanne on the other hand only continued to smile, the fascination over watching Lyza try and fail to figure out her reasons for shrinking Matthias clear. It was almost a pity to tell her the truth this early on. The Designer was smart, and she'd probably figure it out in time on her own. But time, unfortunately, was not something they had in abundance. 


“He betrayed us,” The Scientist eventually explained, her voice immediately tearing Lyza away from her rampant thoughts. Her expression, one of shock, was all Roxanne needed to see to know that, despite the suddenness of the revelation, it was believed, at least in some small measure. 


Pointing to the shrunken scientist's laptop, Roxanne had already made sure that everything which had been kept hidden from them prior was now out in the open and easy to see. No protection, no password. One only needed to turn on the device to learn the full extent of Matthias's betrayal. “You can ask Maya about it if you want to. She was the one who brought it to my attention after all. Were it not for her, we'd all have been screwed.”


Still processing the information, Lyza looked down to her diminutive girlfriend, the psycho still holding Aiden to prevent his escape. At the same time though, she was also looking up at her larger than life lover with a smile. 


With an… uneasy… chuckle, the designer reached forward and rubbed the doll-sized woman's cheek with her finger. It covered the majority of their face, though that did little to keep them from lovingly leaning into it. “Well… look at you. No bigger than a Barbie, yet you managed to ruin Matty’s life.” For all her previous feats, this might very well be Maya's most impressive. To think that she was capable of doing this to someone many times greater than her in size, it was no wonder how she managed to stack so many bodies over a great many years all by herself. Ruining a life despite her clear disadvantages– Lyza was impressed. More so than she normally was. Maya adapted fast, and played to her strengths. “No bad, Darling. Not bad at all.”


Of course, there was still the matter of Roxanne. Turning away from her beloved, Lyza wondered where their loyalties lied. Unfair though it may sound, no one could ever be too careful when one of their own had just turned traitor. It was better to weed out any loose ends if any still remained. “And you?” She asked. “Matthias was your friend, wasn't he? Where do you stand on this… ‘sudden development’?”


Roxanne fell silent, and for a moment it became clear… she hadn't thought this far ahead. At the time, she had only been focused on Matthias's just desserts. Her smile fell as she wondered… Where exactly does she go from here? 


Her relationship with the group was astronomically better than whatever Matthias had. She knew she was in their good graces. But it was clear that they, Lyza most of all, were curious of whether or not she'd follow in her former colleagues footsteps. If trust would be an issue in the future. 


“I won't lie… I thought Matthias was my friend too," Roxanne explained. She shifted uncomfortably in her seat, the event still fresh in her mind. Though she was proud of what she did, it still came at the cost of one she thought she could trust. “He even said he did the things he did for our benefit. Mine and His. That I deserved better than what I had already. But the thing is… I'm content with what I have.” 


Maybe Matthias did have the right intentions. At least in regards to what Roxanne deserved. But that was far from a choice he could make for her. “He had no right to decide what I wanted. No one does. So… I did what I had to do. To keep us safe, and to keep what I already have. Hopefully, as time goes on, more will still come our way. That is, if everything goes according to plan.”


Roxanne kept Matthias alive out of compassion. Lyza already managed to piece that together. She could deny It, or try to disprove It, but that simple fact didn't need to be said for it to not be true. 


In some small way, the blonde scientist still cared for her old companion. Maybe not as a friend, not anymore, but more… as a memento. A reminder of where she began, and where she currently is now. And hopefully, a reminder of what she now stands to gain in the future too. Maybe one day Matthias will find himself underfoot, reduced to a red stain for speaking out of turn. Left in the past as a memory to be forgotten as the rest of the world went on with its life. 


For the time being though, an accessory he would remain. Cherished until his time came. 


“For what it's worth, thank you.” Lyza wasn't… the best at comforting others. Maya maybe, and niceties towards Aiden was still something new. Hell, her only real examples were the facades she'd pull during meetings, or important events. An act to build trust with strangers. Anything that was an actual, personal relationship was best avoided when possible. Still, that didn't mean she wasn't beyond being capable of saying the right words. Something someone needed to hear, especially in times of difficulty. 


“I know it must've been hard. Maybe you two weren't always the chummiest of people, you fought and bickered plenty, but it was clear that you had history. That sort of bond is still something worthwhile... I'm… sorry… you had to make that choice?”


Roxanne tilted her head, a new smile forming. Amusement, and appreciation. “Are you saying you're sorry, or asking if you are?”


Despite knowing what to say from time to time, even Lyza would admit that it's… hard to try and sympathize with one who was friends with someone so abhorrent. She truly, TRULY did not like Matthias. In no small measure was she glad he was dealt with in a manner befitting his attitude. Even if she was trying to relate to Roxanne, just the thought that there was even an ounce of sympathy towards Matthias was… fumbling. To the point where the Designer quickly lost her train of thought. 


“Y…yeees?”


Chuckling softly, Roxanne found herself pleased. She was… happy to have chosen someone like Lyza over Matthias. At least She tried to talk to her without a condescending tone. 


“Well, whatever you're getting at, it's appreciated,” the scientist said. “And don't feel too bad about Matty. With how he normally acted, it wasn't as hard as you made it out to be.”


Lyza relaxed her shoulders, relieved. Not feeling bad for that lying snake was something she could certainly do.


Roxanne clapped her hands together, energized and ready to move on now that she got the sappy stuff out of the way. “Now then! Down to business!”




All that had happened in their own individual moments was shared. The prize that Aiden and Lyza had claimed, as well as the betrayal Matthias had planned. Both explained in intricate, clear detail so as to plan accordingly. The fewer mistakes made the better, and now with everything set in stone there was no room for error. 


The stories and explanations of both the shrunken scientist and Lyza's prey lined up well. To a point where it rang clear truth. 


“A gala in just a few weeks…” the designer recounted, smirking as she silently thanked her Sister's vanity for presenting this sort of opportunity to her and her peers. A golden opportunity that couldn't be ignored. 


They always were the type that needed to be the center of attention, regardless of whether the publicity they brought to the Vermont family was good or bad. The Designer recalled times aplenty where, at her own mother's commands, she would essentially be forced to plan for her sibling's asinine events. The big ones, the small ones, all the way to any important gatherings that they couldn't even be bothered to attend themselves. Lyza was made to be the planner for them all.


And they were always loud too. Never the type to be quiet, or lacking in charm and entertainment. No, everything had to be perfect for Mother's favorite daughter. It should then come as no surprise really as to why Lyza eventually grew quite distasteful towards that sort of environment. She'd still attend or host galas of her own from time to time, if only just to keep up appearances. A fake smile here, a false laugh there, no one ever told the difference. Or they just didn't care. But to actually enjoy those sorts of festivities was usually off the table.


Just this once though, perhaps an exception could be made. Lyza, for all her distaste towards such festivities, found herself giddy over the prospect of attending her sister's. 


There were more than a few ways she could liven things up. “Lynette, you spoiled little princess. You really couldn't have possibly made this any easier for us.”


What made things oh so wonderful was how, in her haste to speed along her own plans, Lynette had thought it brilliant to bring together a great number of those who once worked alongside Josephine Minerva. Powerful people that either funded her research, or worked with her directly. And all moving behind the scenes to get the world into a state they could freely control. 


Like fish in a barrel, they'd all be gathered in one place. 


It'd be so easy to just take them all off the board then. Wipe the slate clean to make way for the next generation of unseen leaders. 


Or at least that was the idea. A fantasy easier said than done sadly, as to even move on such thoughts would require a fair amount of resources. 


Resources… the group didn't really have…


And as things stood now, while they HAD a plan to act on, they didn't quite understand how best to execute it. 


It was a tall order to ask of numbers so small and resources so thin. It was pure luck that the group has managed to make it this far with what little they had. To go further now, even if they wished to do so, might just be what spells their end. 


That is, until Maya of all people offered a possible solution.


“We could gas the whole building!” The doll-sized serial killer suggested with more enthusiasm than her little body could reasonably contain. She was practically shaking in Lyza's hand, unable to rest even as she was held close to her comparatively titanic girlfriend's stomach. “I've done it before! I know how we can do it!”


“You mean like what happened with Saint Minerva's?” Aiden asked from his own perch atop Lyza's shoulder. The two betas treated the far larger designer like some rest stop, using her body to their advantage and comfort. An allowed, if not admittedly annoying, act. “That was AGES ago though. Do you really think it'd work a second time?” 


While far from an ideal plan, it was the only one offered. What's more, it was a course of action that the serial killer had intimate knowledge over. After all, it was her who originally unleashed hell on earth from within the walls of that now infamous hospital. 


Back before the world was turned upside down, when things still made some iota of sense, it was Maya who bloodied the walls of Saint Minerva Hospital. It was she who, in her mad search for her dear Aiden, came to understand the more destructive qualities of the beta formula. 


She shrunk everyone in that now forgotten building, had her way with any unfortunate enough to cross her path, and slaughtered them all with gleeful mania. It did not matter who they were, why they were there, or how hard they pleaded. Age, gender, race- they were all toys to be played with and broken. 


And so they were, time and time again.


Even Josephine Minerva herself, the woman who wished to rule the world, died the day Maya thought to use her own virus against her. And while she managed to avoid the fate of being reduced to a bug, she still met her end at the serial killer's hands… and a broken windpipe. 


Were there one person on Earth who might be able to pull off such a massacre a second time… it'd be the very one who orchestrated the first. 


All she needed was the right tools for the job. And of course the right size to do it.  


“I… don't see why she wouldn't be able to,” Roxanne chimed in. She was understandably skeptical over Maya's plan at first. Any same person would be. But the more she thought about it, the more the scientist came to realize that, despite its absurdity, it was also their best shot. 


She could even add in her own 'flair’ to better improve their chances. Maya's worked alone before, but now who knows what sort of damage might be wrought now that she had backup worth having. “Rosen Accessories has vents that reach both inside and out; the same structure seen at Saint Minerva's. We could repeat what Maya did back then, using the ventilation system to spread the virus around.”


Roxanne found herself holding more and more confidence in her bloodthirsty ally’s vision the more she thought about and improved on it. “Yeah… yeah! The new strain I made acts too fast for anyone to defend against it. What's more, it completely bypasses the worldwide alpha immunity. So long as we take the needed antibiotics, everyone but us would be shrunken down.”


Roxanne was liking how it sounded the more she talked about it. While she understood it was something that was easier said than done, this… could still work. Rather remarkably at that.


Unfortunately, that confidence she shared with Maya didn't seem to have the same effect on all present. 


Looking at Aiden, the scientist could feel his eyes fall on her, digging into her head. Despite the fact that he was hundreds upon hundreds of times smaller than her, Roxanne still recoiled slightly at the prospect of having upset him with this all too familiar plan of hers. Once again, she failed to realize just how deeply this might affect him.


While not a victim of the Saint Minerva massacre, Aiden was… indirectly responsible for it. It was him, after all, that Maya was looking for. Had he not been there even for a few days, she would have never slaughtered so many. Those that were deserving, and those that were not. 


The guilt must have been… unbearable. So incredibly painful, just as it was for Roxanne. Something which Lyza was immediately made aware of. 


She smiled seeing this all unfold, a plan taking shape and already being put into action. “You know what? How about we put a pin in this for now?” Standing up, the designer plucked Aiden from her shoulder, setting him down on the table while she continued to hold onto a now confused Maya. Both betas felt as though they should protest against this, but all it took was one glance from Lyza to understand that there was an ulterior motive behind her actions. Aiden especially caught on quickly, noticing as the designer winked at him and recalling previously what they had discussed. 


“We can continue this tomorrow morning,” Lyza continued as she already made her way away from the meeting table and towards her designated room. “It's been a long day, and I'd just hate to forget about everything we talked about here once I wake up. Still, don't let that keep you and Aiden from talking. Fill him in on anything you need to.”  


Roxanne stammered, any words she might have had to argue against Lyza finding themselves caught in her throat. She wasn't even able to manage a proper “wait” before the designer practically slammed her door shut, effectively ending the conversation before any rebuttal could be said. 


The scientist stepped back, dumbfounded. It was… reckless to leave in the middle of something so important, and while a good deal had already been explained, they were nowhere near finished yet. So many things had yet been covered. Entrance points, potential exits. The very start of the event and its end. All of these were overlooked and ignored. 


It's not like Lyza didn't have a good grasp of what was at risk here either. Of course she did. They all did! So to leave so suddenly, when everything was still in the plotting phase… Roxanne won't deny the fact that she found it rather irritating. 


She had half a mind to storm on up to the designer's room and slam on her door until she opened up. 


That is… if she didn't have company to attend to first. 


Looking back to the table, Roxanne could physically feel the sweat on her forehead build up and trickle down her brow. Once again the guilt of her own betrayal against Aiden's trust returned stronger than ever, seeing as he was now in the same room as her. Looking up at the titanic scientist, he waited patiently for her to say something to him. Anything really.


It was nerve wracking. Terrifying in a great many ways, to be in the same room with one whose life you ruined. Nothing could be said that would make amends for everything that's been done.  But still… Roxanne at least had to try. She at least had to make the attempt so that she'd never regret not even trying. 


“Aiden… I…” Sadly, try as she might, the words themselves refused to present themselves properly. Roxanne sat back down in her seat, lowering herself as far as she could go down onto the table, trying to get on the beta's level as best as she could. A diversion really, to try and stall for time until she could actually say something. 


There was no need, however. Her actions were easily read. Raising his hand out in front of him, Aiden motioned for Roxanne to stop. “There's no need for that.” He told her. “This… is something that's overdue.” 


The scientist fell silent, yet her heart raced a mile an hour. “What… is?” She tried to feign ignorance. It didn't work. “I mean… what is it you're talking… about…” Roxanne played with her fingers, avoiding eye contact by looking down at them. Her unease was so apparent you could practically reach out and grab it. 


Aiden sighed. 


He hadn't expected her to be so… horrible at playing along with these sorts of things. 


The beta knew it was on Roxanne's mind too, same as his. This talk of theirs; reconciliation. But whether she was avoiding it out of genuine nervousness or hopeful ignorance, perhaps in the hopes that Aiden would just drop this attempt at holding a conversation altogether, it did not matter. He would say what needed to be said regardless of whether she liked it or not. 


This needed to happen… for both their sakes. 


So, taking a deep breath, as well as maintaining eye contact with a nerve wrecked Roxanne, Aiden just came out and said what was on his mind. 


“I'm sorry.”



Chapter End Notes:

Not going to lie, was given a proper beating from classes. Not hard work but there's just a LOT of it. only managed to start this chapter sometime last week. Still, better late then never. 

… I'm sensing a pattern here.