- Text Size +

Paul finished up his internship at the beginning of August. He was grateful for the experience and opportunity, as he learned valuable lessons in how to navigate dealing with Alphas in the business world. High school and college were one thing, but interacting with professionals who knew their job inside and out was definitely eye opening.


Desmond Jones was extremely impressed by the young Beta male that spent the summer just showing him at every opportunity that he could handle the Alpha/Beta dynamic in the workplace with confidence, honesty, and a level headedness that belied his youth. Whatever Tony Robbins saw in the boy was definitely very real. It allowed him to “take a day off” here and there and leave Paul in charge. Desmond Jones really didn't take off, but would occupy an unused office. He just needed to know that the Beta could handle things without him being there, and unsurprisingly, he did. He quickly earned the respect of the Alpha workforce. 


Desmond would call Mr Robbins every few days and give him updates on Paul. Tony Robbins was becoming convinced more and more that Paul would make a great manager within his company. He was going to open a second office, which he wanted Desmond Jones to run, and needed to find a capable replacement for him. He knew Paul was that person.


Linda had been fairly busy herself. She had volunteered at a daycare for the summer. She wanted to be a teacher, and needed the experience. She found that she really enjoyed being around children. Her personality was able to shine through, and the young children loved her. And the more she was around them, the more she thought about having her own with Paul. 


They had conversations about names, which Paul made clear that he didn't want a son named after him. This stung her at first, as she really wanted to show her love for him by naming their son after him, but Paul was adamant.


With everyone either working or on family vacations, there had been very little time to spend together. John and Mindy, Todd and Betty, and George and Alice had their own lives to live, and finding a way for them to hang out together became almost impossible. 


But they agreed that the Sunday before they went back to college would be the day. Meeting at Paul's house, it became apparent to all of them that get-togethers in the future would be nearly impossible. Highschool had been the one bond that held them together, but with everyone going off on their own, the tightness was fading away. So there was a somber mood to the gathering.


Once everyone had left, Paul took Linda back to her house. Victor and Stephanie had become a true second set of parents to Paul. They knew that he would never leave Linda’s side, and would always love and support her. As parents, it was all they could ever ask for with regards to their daughter. 


After saying hello to her parents, Paul followed Linda into her room. Even though both were 19, they always made sure that they respected the wishes of her parents, who only asked that nothing happen while they were in the house. But it never stopped the young lovebirds from kissing and getting handsy with each other. They would wait until they got back to college.


Around midnight, Paul and Linda kissed goodnight, and then he headed back to his house. But no sooner did he stepped through the door then the phone started ringing. He looked at the time and was surprised, but he answered. An uncontrollable, hysterical voice was on the other end. It took him a moment to realize that it was Jill, and from what he could make out, she had an argument with Pete, and he stormed out on her, and wouldn't answer her calls. She wanted to know what to do.


Already tired, but wanting to be there for her, he told her that he would be there in a few minutes. So out to his car he went, and headed for the Robbins. After the 10 minute drive, he pulled into the driveway, and noticed that Jill was waiting for him outside, tears running down her face. 


He reached her and tried to give her a hug in order to calm her down, but his arms couldn't reach around her body. He also couldn't reach up high enough to wipe the tears flowing from her eyes. So he attempted to take hold of her hand, only to find that with Jill being so upset, he couldn't move it. So Paul just sat down on the steps, and waited for her to join him.


Jill calmed down enough to sit next to Paul. He let her know that he would be there when she was ready to talk. Jill was trying to calm the million thoughts running through her head, once she was able to do that, she asked him an extremely odd question.


She asked him if she was someone who he could spend the rest of his life with? It took Paul a good amount of time to digest the question. He was suddenly feeling uneasy, as he had no idea of the context behind her question. He initially tried to play coy, asking her what she meant.


He was relieved when she described the issue surrounding her fight with Pete. She had mentioned about the possibility of getting engaged, but he told her that he wasn't ready to take that step. She then asked him if he loved her, and he said yes. Then she asked him why he didn't want to get engaged. Pete told her again that wasn't ready to take that step. 


She pushed him for an answer, and after repeatedly telling her how he felt, he was getting frustrated. After her pushing of the issue, he told her that he had had enough, and walked out the house. She had been trying to call him, but he wouldn't return her calls. 


Suddenly, Paul understood her initial question. He placed his hand on her much larger one, and tried to reassure her that yes, she was someone he could spend his life with. He tried to explain to her that some guys just take longer to arrive at the right decision. 


He asked her if she loved Pete, and Jill said yes. He asked her if he loved her, and she said that he told her he did. Paul told her that everything would be fine. Pete just needed a little time to calm down. He told her that they made a great couple, but that she just needed to be a little patient. Pete would come around and everything would be fine. She just had to let him come to the conclusion on his own. 


Jill smiled down at Paul, and then put her arm around him and held him against her body. He realized that he would never be able to break free, and not wanting to upset her further, just let her hold him in place. 


After what seemed like an eternity, Jill finally released Paul from against her body. She had calmed down enough to start feeling tired. She yawned, which caused him to do the same. He looked at his watch. 2:30am, that was the time. He was feeling really tired himself. He stood up to leave, first making sure that Jill would be alright. She said she was, then surprised him by pulling him towards her and kissing him on the cheek, thanking him for being her first and only true friend. 


Paul stepped back and noticed little tears running down her face, which he wiped away. Even though she was sitting and he was standing, he looked up into her eyes and told her something that he had been telling her for some time. He would always be there for her. All she had to do was call, but that she should expect things to work out with Pete.


With those words, he said goodnight to her, and then headed home. Paul felt bad for Jill. She was in love with Pete, and he was pretty sure he loved her, but her self doubt and lack of confidence probably contributed to the situation. He didn't know Pete at all, except for the couple of times he met him at her house. But he was sure she would be fine. He just needed to get home and into bed.


The week flew by. Paul and Linda loaded the vehicle with everything they were taking to college. Both were excited for their sophomore year. With the experience they both gained during the summer, Paul and Linda felt that the upcoming school year would be easier than their freshman year. 


Paul pulled up to Linda’s dorm and walked inside with her. Missy, Linda’s roommate, was already settled, and lounging on large sofa. Both said hi to the Alpha, who cheerfully replied. She had warmed up to Paul, who disarmed her Alpha superiority with his charm and respect. 


Once Linda was unpacked and settled, Paul kissed her and then went to his dorm to unpack his stuff. Brian, his Tweener roommate, had just finished with his stuff, and gave Paul a hand. Once they caught up with what happened during the summer, they settled for the night a few beers, which Brian said were ‘ mysteriously left in the fridge’ over the summer. The roommates looked at each other, nodded, and drank their beers in silence.