- Text Size +

Garrett didn't remember a thing. One moment he had been standing at the porch of the Old Manor, and then nothing. He had a vague recollection of falling, but after that, the darkness of wherever he had fallen had merged with his own unconsciousness. His eyes fluttered open and he immediately squinted as a dazzling light blinded him. He remembered that it was night time and so forced himself to adjust to the light and realized that it was coming from a projector of some kind, casting an eerie white glow over him. 


On that note, he looked down and almost peed his pants. He wasn't standing on anything. Rather, his body seemed to be suspended in the air. To be precise, miles in the air, the ground so far below him that he felt like eyes were playing tricks on him. Never in his life had Garrett been so far up and not on a plane, and even then he tried not to think about the altitude. Now, it was just him, hopelessly high up and with nothing to hold onto. He tried to move in his panic and realized that he couldn't. He turned his neck as far to the side as he could and tugged his arm. What he saw was almost more frightening than his current height off the ground. 


He was trapped on a spider web. Uncontrollable images of flies getting devoured crossed his mind as he tried to understand how such a huge web could even exist, let alone support a human's weight, but his racing mind didn't spend long on the single task. 


'HELP!' he cried out.


'Oh shut up! We've already tried that!' snapped a voice from somewhere above him. Garrett looked up to see another human trapped on the web. Infact, he looked right up her skirt, between her spread legs, and at the tight, red panties that hugged her crotch. He recognized her legs from countless hours of fantasizing about the girl in question, and blushed despite knowing that she couldn't see him. 


'S… Skylar?' Garrett mumbled.


'Yes, Skylar, and I'm sick of hearing stupid whining. Who the fuck are you?' demanded a girl who, even shrunken, was still too popular to know who he was. Garrett opened his mouth to answer, but she cut him off. 


'Oh, what does it matter who you are? Just get us off of here! How close to the ground are you?' Skylar asked.


Garrett gulped and looked as far down as he could, 'At least, like, a hundred stories?' 


He could see a few other people trapped on the dazzlingly white spider web. He remarked how sticky it was, and had a terrifying thought. What if this wasn't a real spider web? What if it was one of the spray-on decorations for halloween?. That could only mean …


'It's probably only a few feet, you idiot,' Skylar hissed, 'In case your dumb little brain hasn't figured it out yet, we're clearly shrunk!'


'Wh … what?' Garrett was dumbfounded, and started to breathe faster than normal. His heart rate shot up as he started to panic, trying to break his arms away from the web. 


'Stop struggling, you idiot!' Skylar shouted, 'If you come off of the web, think about how far you're gonna fall.'


Garrett froze on command, his fear doubling as he looked around him. He could make out that the web was attached at an angle to a hedge, the triangle of white chemicals tapering off to the ground. Judging from the size of the leaves, and the side-walk below, the whole thing must only have been about four feet high. Unfortunately, that was more than high up enough to cause serious damage were any of them to fall. 


The tiny boy looked up, and miles across the street, could see a house with spooky decorations on it. He did find it odd that the street was so empty however, as he would have expected such a well decorated neighbourhood to be full of trick-or-treaters. 


'Where are we?' Garrett asked.


'I don't know,' Skylar admitted, 'All I can see is this stupid hedge!'


Garrett made a mental note to be thankful that he had been placed onto the web facing outwards. Still, even with all he could see, he had no idea where in Gillville a street would be so quiet on halloween. 


***


'Three … Two … One … Happy Halloween!' called the Mayor, as he cut the ribbon at the end of Durst Street, officially kicking off Gillville's planned trick-or-treat route. After years of vandalism and PR nightmares on this scary holiday, the town had decided to make a safe, and pre-approved route for the annual event. The mayor had spearheaded the effort to sponsor houses and decorate certain streets in the sleepy town, to both improve the experience for the children (and parents, with publicly funded benches at convenient intervals), and to contain any halloween mischief to smaller areas. The official route started on Durst Street and ran along the outside of the town to complete a loop. This would give the Sherriff easy access to any part of the trick or treating by cutting across the middle of the town, and meant that few roads in the town center had to be closed. 


As the mayor watched the gathered crowd of parents and children, setting off down the street in a dazzling array of costumes, he thought just how good a job he was doing at keeping his constituents safe, and all without ruining the time-honoured holiday. 


***


'What was that? What's happening?' Skylar demanded, and Garrett quickly realized what she was talking about. The web was shaking. 


Not only that, but the transmitted tremors were clearly coming from the earth, and even from sucha  height, the tiny boy could see the sidewalk trembling, and the earthquakes were rapidly getting stronger. He could suddenly what chatter from a great distance away, mixing in with footsteps and high-pitched squeals of excited kids. The noise itself was far louder than he would have expected considering that he couldn't see the source, but more worrying was that it was getting louder … and closer. 


Suddenly, out of the corner of his eye, Garrett saw the first costumed child appear along the street. He couldn't have been more than ten years old, hidden beneath a power ranger outfit, but his size was terrifying. The boy was at least a mile tall, and his excited steps were like bombs being detonated, so powerful was the impact of each one. Despite his size, the boy moved so quickly that Garrett started to shake in terror at the thought of finding himself in front of such a creature. His fear only grew when the boy's mother materialized behind him, twice, if not three times his size and every bit a terrifying giantess like he had only seen in the movies. 


Behind this pair followed a swarm of the colossal humans, oblivious to the tiny teens trapped on the fake spider web along the sidewalk, as they marched at various speeds along the closed off road. The sheer volume of the chatter and footfalls was deafening, and Garrett could no longer hear Skylar's voice even though she was only a few centimeters above him on the web, her tiny voice drowned out by the uproar of the enormous crowd. 


'What's happening?' he heard her scream at the top of her lungs, but Garrett couldn't answer, frozen in fear as he watched the first person step onto the sidewalk, only a few hundred yards away from them. His head was turned to the side as he gazed up at the humongous figure, dressed in a grotesque orange ball that was supposed to be a fruit. Two thick legs sprouted out from a pair of holes on the underbelly of the ball, covered by black leggings that tucked into a pair of flats. The calves alone was several dozen times the size of Garrett's whole body, and he watched them wobble as the giantess walked. 


Boom. BOOM. BOOM! BOOM!


She was closing the distance between her and the web at an alarming rate, and as she approached, more of her beefy arms and chubby face disappeared behind the rotund costume. Fortunately for Garrett, he made out just enough detail of the woman's eyes, nose and messy black curls to recognize her, before the front of her costume blocked her head out. 


The towering figure that approached was none other than Mrs. Gregory, the principal of Gillville High School. The overweight 50-something-year-old had stood tall in front of the students at many an assembly, but even sitting cross legged on the floor, Garrett had never seen her from such a low perspective. He wondered how much of the protruding curve was the costume, and how much was the woman's own belly, but he had little time to think about such trivialities at that moment. 


'Mrs. Gregory! Help!' he screamed, but even he could tell that his pathetic little voice was all but inaudible in the chaos of the trick-or-treating. 


'Mrs. Gregory?' Skylar asked, 'Is she here? Is she tiny like us? What's happening?'


Garrett felt bad for the popular girl, imagining how much scarier the thought of the gigantic beings would have been if they were all behind him and he couldn't see, but he didn't see the point of wasting his energy relaying all of the horrifying information of what he saw to the tiny girl. He could only watch as the principal stomped towards them, her huge feet pounding the side walk like meteors. 


He glanced down at the other tiny teens on the web, and saw that the two nearest the ground were making a break for it. He watched them wiggle and pop off of the web, landing on the pavement. The one closer to the ground, a boy, landed on his feet, but the girl that had been a way above him hit the concrete with a shriek. He couldn't see any details, but Garrette could tell from the angle that her left leg was lying in that it was broken. He watched the tiny boy hesitate, almost going back to help the girl, before turning to run.


Garrett had been so mesmerized by this tiny display of resilience, that he hadn't noticed Mrs. Gregory getting closer. The shrunken boy on the ground was about an inch away from the girl and picking up speed as she lay begging for help. She turned back to look up and her eyes widened. 


CRUNCH!


Garrett felt sick to his stomach as Mrs. Gregory's left foot landed on top of the two miniature teenagers, the force shaking the web violently. The powerful boom of the impact left his ears ringing but he still managed to hear the scratching of bits of dirt as they were ground beneath the pavement and her incredible weight. As the principal's other foot slammed the ground and she continued, her left foot came off of the sidewalk. Garret stared in horror at the two barely visible red splatters of the shrunken teens that had been squished by the unaware giantess's sole. 


'What's happening?' Skylar screamed, but Garrett didn't think she needed to know. 


***


Unfortunately, Garrett and Skylar, and their peers on the web, weren't the only shrunken people in peril. In fact, for all of the mayor's work on making Halloween safe, he had laid a path on which hundreds of tiny people were now scattered … each one awaiting the approaching crowd of unaware gods and goddesses, praying to survive the night.