- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This is the end of part 1.

Hope you enjoy it, probably at least  a few weeks before  a new part begins.

The apartment door opened, and Gen started to ask, “Need help with something?” But Theo bolted right past her through the living room, trying not to run but putting space between them. He needed distance, some place beyond Roxanne’s  arm’s length.
He turned his head  toward her and started “You can—“ He shut up. He watched Gen burying her head into the thick cloth somewhere around Roxanne’s belly and squealing in glee out in the hallway. Her feet were off the ground. Everything above Roxanne’s ears were lost on the other side of the door.
“Oh my God!” Gen said, laughing as Roxanne grabbed her by the waist and lifted her almost to the ceiling. “You’re taller than mom!”
Same nine hundred pound girl who leaned on him a little, left him unconscious, Roxanne was tossing up in the air like a child. 
Roxanne started to put Gen down, and Gen swatted at her face. “What are you wearing on your face, Rox?”
Roxanne’s answer came out rueful. “Weirdos around here,” she ducked her head, crossing the threshold as Theo heard Camille’s solid footsteps stepping into the room behind him.
“Holy shit,” Camille said.  “Can’t even get in the doorway now. Outside of the doorframe is six thirty centis. Yeah, you’re taller than Mama Gee.”
Theo looked up at Camille and said, “you wanna tell her I live here?”
Roxanne looked across at her.  “You know him?”
And Camille looked down at Theo with a puzzled expression and back up at Roxanne. “The little guy? I thought he was with you.”
A hard shiver ran through Theo, and he jumped. “Not funny,” He said, running behind Camille’s legs to hide like a five-year-old.
He looked over to Roxanne to see she knew Camille well enough to see she was joking.
Gen said, “Theo’s really cool,” Looking straight up at her with her palm stretching up to around Roxanne’s navel. In fact, Gen, on her tiptoes, was barely past her hip.
Camille said,”Yeah, he’s supposed to be here.” She turned her head to look down behind her shoulder. “This guy hiding under the shelf of my ass is Theo. The roommate? Remember?”
Roxanne looked confused.  “I remember we wanted a girl from the core, and how  not one of them can stand being in the same room as us.”
Camille said, “Funny, I also remember sending you a couple of emails you claimed you read. Regarding the new male roommate.”
Roxanne stood silent. Her eyes closed, shoulders slumped. She even lost a few inches of height it seemed.
“Great. So Roxy looks like an ass again,” Roxanne said, frustrated. She put her palm on her forehead, groaning with a pained expression.  “Sorry, man,” she called out, with her eyes squeezed shut.
Theo exhaled.  He wasn’t sure he was breathing before that moment.  He decided Camille was one of the best human beings he’d ever met.
Camille asked Theo, “Why are you rubbing your arms?” She asked the question with a ton of suspicion.  Theo looked to Roxanne, then decided not to talk about it here. He needed to figure it out first. He wanted to cool it down, get his heart rate back to normal. He was about to blurt out a lame excuse about banging his arm on the shuttle to the surface, but Camille took the hint too well.
“Rox, what did you do?”
Roxanne threw her hands up. “It was an accident.”
Camille shook her head. “If it was by accident you would have snapped his arms.  This looks like you being a bitch but kind of careful about it.”
“It was an accident,” she repeated. “But I apologized.”
Theo was pretty sure it wasn’t an apology, but whatever. Camille sat on her heels, with a hand swallowing his shoulder.
He cut her off. “I’m fine, Just a little sore.” Then he stood on his tiptoes, dropped his voice to the barest whisper he could. “She is really hostile.”
“What happened?”
“Just... insults over and over. Trying to get a rise outta me.”
“Was that it? Insults?” She laughed. “I’ve seen her hostile. That’s not hostile.”
“Short joke after short joke, and...”
“I mean, man, you’re not even two bills high, so... listen.  Just don’t stare. And switch out your phone to a local one, where the cameras are locked down. Like I said, she’s not camera friendly.”
Theo couldn’t believe it. “That’s what you meant? Not camera friendly means she tries to kill anyone with a camera?”
“She had a ‘fan club’ last year and she did not enjoy it...”
“I thought you meant she was a dog or something.”
“A dog? I’m not familiar with that..”
“Oh my God, Camille, she coulda killed me!  You have to warn me about these things.”
“If it makes you feel any better?  She could kill all of us. I think she feels  bad so go easy on her.”
Theo shook his head wildly. “Did I just hear you right?  I... should take it easy on ... her??? Are you high right—“
Theo looked back to the other side of the room as Roxanne pulled down her mask.  He got a glimpse of her face.  Just a glimpse and...  he found himself trying to get a better one. Her hair wasn’t much short of waist length, and thick.  He could see her skin was richly colored, a shade darker than the two sisters, but not nearly as dark as his own.
“Hey Theo?” Camille said.  “Don’t stare.”
He shrugged.  He was just surprised how pretty she was from the glimpse he got.  “Not staring, I was just trying to see what she even...”
He glanced back over at Roxanne and his breath caught in his throat. Sweet merciful crap.
He could see her face now, and she had just tossed the hoodie. She looked absolutely nothing like what he’d imagined under all that fabric.
Her face was so sweet, gentle.  Huge brown eyes, full lips, dimples. A furtive smile as she talked down to Gen.
She was insanely tall, but she was also slim.  Her frame was as slender as Gen’s, maybe even more slender because it was so damn long. Her hips were wider, and he could see the solid muscle tone everywhere from her shoulders to the few inches of ab showing under her shirt.
The shirt that was riding way, way up because her tits were  bigger than her own head. Her cleavage bulged out almost directly from her collarbone.  When she looked down to talk to Gen, (who had to step back a couple of steps) her chin disappeared into the crevasse. She was just exploding out of both her bra and her tank top.  It was too haphazard a look to be on purpose.
“Theo!” A voice said, from somewhere far off. Big hands grabbed his shoulders, but he couldn’t look away. He decided he’d look up to see who it was later.
She was the prettiest girl he had ever seen.  She looked like a tanned Gal Gadot. And she had just hulked out into a borderline anatomically impossible teenage wet dream.
Like, fuck, they were bigger than he was.  Not combined... probably each. Roxanne actually seemed to have a modest body language, but those milk trucks... they just bounced wild and unashamed like kids playing at a family reunion before your aunt starts threatening to whip them.
Like they just didn’t give a fuck.  Like they didn’t even know what a fuck was. Like they were so huge and fat and stupid... so proudly illiterate they only recognized a couple of letters in the word “fuck.”
Theo’s feet left the ground suddenly and the world spun. He was now looking at Camille’s thighs, which were blocking his view.
He looked up at her. She looked very annoyed.  She leaned down and threw her hands out to the side, as a way of asking, “What the fuck?”
“Oh.  Was... was I staring?” Camille raised one eyebrow and stood up straight with one fist on one hip. Okay. He was pretty sure his eyes had popped out like Don Knotts. 
“She’s nothing like what I expected. You guys acted like she was this ugly cow monster.”
Camille squinted and lifted her chin.  From his perspective, Theo couldn’t see her face at all, or understand what she was trying to get across. She looked straight down at him and said, “Refresh my memory. When did I say all of that?”
“She caught me by surprise.  What can I say?” He tried to step to his right to try to see around Camille, but she took the step with him, and he was screwed. He sighed. “You think she noticed?”
She looked down at him incredulously.  She bent ninety degrees at the waist and put her face directly above his. “What do you think?”
For just a moment, he thought to alleviate the tension with humor by looking at Camille’s breasts.  It would have been funny, from a timing perspective. He was sure it would be funny. Like , “really Theo?” And then they’d laugh. Right? Either that, or she’d grab Theo by his ankle and start spinning him like a yo-yo.
Nope.  He decided he wasn’t doing that. “It’s not that big a deal, okay?”
Then Camille made an frustrated face.  She said, “You know what I’m gonna do?” She stood up straight and pulled out her cell phone.
A cold feeling went through Theo, turning into cold Terror.  “Wait,” Theo said.
“I’m calling your mom.”
Theo chuckled nervously, a forced laugh. “Funny.  You’re kidding.”
She didn’t say anything, but in the short while he’d known Camille, he had figured out one thing.  She didn’t do half-measures.
Theo panicked again. He proceeded to jump repeatedly, reaching for a phone being held six feet above his head. Camille looked calmly down at Theo. “Yeah, you almost got it.  Just a liiitle bit higher.” His leaping swat slapped against her stomach, just below her bellybutton. “You don’t believe in playing it cool, do you?” She whispered.
“Do not!” He caught himself starting to shout, as Roxanne glanced over with vague confusion. He lowered his voice and stood on tiptoes saying to Camille “Do not call Ma. Hey just... just kick my ass. She gave you permission. Have at it.”
Camille seemed to think about it, then she shook her head. “Naaah , you’re not getting off that easy.”
Theo jumped into a fighting stance, both fists up.  He heard Gen start laughing. “What the hell are you doing?”
Camille put the phone to her ear.  She said, “It’s ringing.”
Theo dropped his hips, pivoted and drove a perfect straight left into the tear drop cluster of muscle just above the knee.
It wasn’t rock hard exactly, it was something else.  Like punching a tire, but instead of filling it with air, you filled it with steel.
Theo managed to hold in the whimper of pain as the dull ache rolled into his fist, then slowly worked its way back up into his shoulder, then into his lower back, his hip, all the way down the the ball of the left toe he pivoted on.
Theo was sure he could feel throbbing pain all the way into the floor he was standing on.
Camille’s peered down, leaning forward to see down over her chest to where he had connected.  She looked concerned. She said, “See now, I’m gonna have to tell your mom that you hit girls.”
Theo gasped and actually jumped backwards in horror.
Gen proceeded to break into even bigger conconvulsions of barely supressed laughter.
Roxanne was watching Theo’s antics.  She squatted next to Gen and asked, “What’s going on here? Is he crazy? I mean I’ll probably feel more comfortable if I’m not the crazy one here.”
“No!” He screamed at Camille. He decided she was the most evil person he’d ever met.
Then Roxanne said “Hey!” somewhere in his peripheral vision. He saw her rise to her full height. Theo’s eyes closed in defeat.  They stayed closed with some concern.  Then came the fear. And embarrassment.  Then the fear of embarrassment, then the embarrassment of fear.
Then Camille’s phone clicked and Mama Rodriguez said “Hello?”
Roxanne took half a step forward toward Theo and stopped just to stare at him.
He was was fully out of options, and turned Roxanne’s direction.  He walked purposefully toward her, head tilting higher as he got closer. He thought they were gonna get the chance to cool down. That chance was gone. Because he couldn’t control his own eyes.
And even now, he couldn’t keep from a glance at her chest. Really, in his mind, keeping it to one glance required the restraint of a Buddhist monk.
Then she started to crouch, and they moved, and he glanced again.  They swayed back and forth, then bounced as her butt hit her heels. Then bounced again as she lowered even further because sitting on her heels she was still twice his height.
Her eyes were still contemplating him, and she leaned in toward him, a couple of yards away but felt like inches. Her skin truly was flawless.  He really wasn’t sure if it was her beauty or her size was more intimidating.  She had both in quantity far beyond all possible reason.
What was he going to say? What kind of apology was there for an unstated offense like this? He was some kind of creep, this new influence that somehow, some way, made her feel uncomfortable in her own home. Someone who presented no threat whatsoever but nonetheless made her feel violated, like a roach on the kitchen table.
What worried Theo was that a roach had a very obvious and effective solution at the bottom of any shoe.
When her nose shifted and her lips parted, the most irrational panic hit him, like he was about to be literally eaten.
Her voice rose like a question with a name he hadn’t heard in nearly eight years: “T-Rod?”
He didn’t remember closing his eyes, but nonetheless, he opened one to see her quizzical and focused expression.  His mind was searching to figure out what had just happened.
Her expression changed, like she had encountered the answer to an unanswered question. He saw her then, with her thick curly hair and olive complexion, and dimples starting to form as she slowly smiled a sly smile.It was on the edge of his brain, foggy and unclear.
The room was silent when he heard his mother’s voice on speaker say, “Is that Zanny?”
 Camille said, “What?  Oh, Holy Shit. Wow. That was a freebie.”
For Theo, it took that long for it to click.
Roxanne said, “This was the guy,  em! I had the biggest crush on him, like my first love when I was nine.”
Theo was stunned.  Everyone seemed to be stunned, with Roxanne the only one who had settled into the insanity of the probability here.
“Good God, Zanny!” He looked her up and down.  But mostly up. “How did you... so Zanny is short for...?”
She was laughing now, no doubt at his complete discombobulation.
Camille said, “T-Rod though? Really?”
Never in his life had Theo seen something happened this wild and amazing. She was gorgeous, she was massive, she was he dream of thirteen year old Theo.
It was great.  A euphoria washed over him as the fear evaporated.
Roxanne said. “Yeah, like...  this guy completely ghosted me and shattered my little heart, Cam.  Into like a million pieces.”
That statement sunk in. The awkwardness creeped right back in, and suddenly he was in the hallway getting “short” insults again.
Oh, man. He looked straight up into her eyes and the confident smile.  He started stepping backwards, one again feeling like a gazelle pretending it could have a chat with a hungry lioness.
Oh, boy.
“So, uh, how is Daniel?”
Roxanne said, “You mean Dennis?”
“Yeah, your brown her, ha!  He was a fun kid.”
Roxanne said, “We haven’t really talked, since my mom let me get deported to some planet I had never heard of.”
Theo heard Gen emit a whine from her throat. It started low, went high and kept going as she backed away.
Camille was less subtle. “Oh, daaaaaaaamn.”
The heard his mom chastise Camille, and she said, “Sorry Mrs. Rodriguez, it took me by surprise.”
Theo looked up at the massive beauty he still wasn’t nearly far enough away from.  He said, “That’s... terrible... I, uh, gotta talk to my mom, we’ll chat later!”
He slunk over to Camille with his knees shaking and reached up for Camille’s phone.  He wasn’t sure how he would use something that big and unwieldy. Camille was agreeing with his mom, before saying to Theo, “she wants to talk with Roxanne.”
Theo watched Camille walk over to Roxanne, who took the phone before standing up.  
Theo mid-thigh height to Camille. Camille was roughly nipple height to Roxanne. Camille stepped back in awe, but didn’t say a word.
That’s who was apparently holding a real grudge against him. And even his mom seemed to be siding with "Zanny.”
Roxanne waved at Theo and winked before walking away, talking to his mom.
Theo caught Camille’s eye and she stopped, smiled. She loudly said, “C’mon, Gen, let me help you pack for your long journey!” and hustled her sister into her room before slamming the door. Theo could hear the chattering that started immediately after the door closed. 
Theo sighed hard, his head slumping.
Roxanne had clearly had it hard, and had accumulated multiple grudges over the course of her young life. And he was the only person available to take it out on.
Goodie.
A quote leapt into his mind, something he’d heard from one of the old movies and TV shows he spent so much time consuming. It was from an old TV sitcom prophet, among the greats, like Sanford, Kramer, or Peterson.
Theo was sure it was a different guy, the one who scored four touchdowns in a single game, who had said, “Well, this certainly sucks.”
Theo went into the smaller door of his room.  He climbed up onto his bed, crawled to the center. Turned out all the lights.
Yep.  Sucked.
Chapter End Notes:
I’m curious if anyone can name all four “prophets” I allude to at the end.