- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sorry Lupin, but I think I’m going to skip with the bigger chapter format. I’m much more comfortable with short chapters.

no smut in this one.

The Aelmari were likely aware that their supplies had been ransacked and they were likely on their way. Procerita sat in her open palm, watching as her other hand entered the code that activated the elevator.



They had damaged the elevator so that it would use the magnetic rails like a cannon. It would shoot up to the sky and the metal object Procerita had left would mimic an FTL drive perfectly. 

The Aelmari would assume that their “ship” had been the one that destroyed their supplies. They would be spread out and Procerita could safely return to her ship, and possibly save the lives of other Glalans at the Bazaar. 

As they fled the scene, they opted to hide out in a Bakery down the road when the Aelmari passed by. 

They both hadn’t noticed before, but they were absolutely starving. Max hid in her backpack while she placed her order, that Max would take a small piece of. 

Procerita opted for just a simple loaf of fresh bread. Max planned on saving some of the human rations for emergencies. Besides, replicator food was no good, Procerita had told him. 

As the baker hands over the loaf, still hot from the oven, a ship can be heard taking off. 

Procerita quickly stuffs the load in her bag and puts her wrist computer up against the scanner. The machine makes a beeping noise, not far off from the one they heard earlier. 

Quickly running out the door, Procerita sees the Aelmari taking off after their fake ship. The opening is now. Running down the open street as it begins to fill up with people, she pushes through crowds to reach her destination. A sea of solemn faces passes her by. 

Finally reaching the ship, she quickly punched in her passcode, and the door opens. 

Quickly charging in, she throws her backpack on the table and jumps into the cockpit. 

Rotate the thrusters, charge the FTL, full thrust. Standard stuff, Procerita thinks. 

As the ship lifted, there was no lurch. The G-force counter is working well. 

Rotate the thrusters back to standard position, and disable VTOL mode, Procerita reminds herself.

Gaining speed, a high-pitched mechanical ringing starts.

Radar lock. 

Of course the plan was failing. Fan-fucking-tastic.

Over the radio, an emotionless voice appears.

“Dock on this ship now, or you will face a swift death at the hands of Carnifex, the Executioner.”

“Aww, you’ve even got cute little names!” Procerita mocks over the radio.

“We have no time for this. Dock NOW.”

Max finally crawls out of the open bag. He had received a few bruises, but nothing that won’t heal eventually. Looking up at Procerita, she is deep in thought, her eyes dancing across the cockpit. 

She was out of options.

Dragging her finger across the screen, the speed of the ship decreases. Opening her docking port, she awaits their entrance. 

With a swishing noise, the docking door slides open. 

In a flash of movement, Procerita seals the door to the cockpit and increases speed all the way. A loud scraping noise can be heard as the metal makes a groaning sound. 

The dock snaps. 

She enables the FTL drive. Atmosphere rushes out and the ship releases a pulse.

The executioner is decimated by the pulse. The joints begin seizing, and the limbs rapidly change shape and size. Carnifex cries a wail of unheard suffering, and the Glalan ship disappears. 



“That was intense.” Procerita muttered, exasperated, 

“Yeah. Nice thinking with that little docking maneuver.” Max commented.

“You didn’t do half-bad either. That elevator idea was genius.”

“Thanks! You know I aim to please.” 

Procerita reaches into the bag and pulls out the bread, and a knife that was sheathed. She unravels the bread, and unsheathes the knife. Cutting of a slice, she lets it fall into her hand. She pinches a bit of the soft centre until it detaches from the rest, and places it in Max’s open hands. 

“Thanks” Max said, eagerly stuffing a handful in his mouth. 

“Why do the Aelmari want humans so bad?” Max asked.

“Something about their ‘Mission’. Way back these tiny guys about the size of humans built some crazy AI, and buried it beneath the planet. The planet was attacked, and the AI vowed to protect all smaller species in pursuit of the perfect species to fulfill the Mission. I’m guessing that’s what humans are, but who knows what they intend to do with them.” Procerita explained, taking another bite of the bread. 

Max sticks his hands into his pockets absent-mindedly. He jumps, finding the syringe from the Aelmari ship in the pocket. 

Drawing it out, he looks at Procerita. She sees it as well, and judging by her face is just as excited as Max is to find out if it works. 

Rolling up his sleeve, Max uncurls his arm. There is an easily visible vein. Taking deep breaths, he puts the syringe against the skin, forming a slight depression.

It pierces the skin, and he pushes the plunger down. 

Searing pain. His eyes went wide. He saw nothing but red. His muscles screamed as the substance shot across his body. His heart was pumping. 

And then nothing. He went slack and fell down on his back.

“I can’t feel anything below my neck!” Max yelled. He was taking rapid, shallow breaths. His eyes were darting back and forth rapidly, wide with terror.

Procerita hushed, taking a soothing voice, gesturing her hands down, implying he should lower his voice. 

Calming down and steadying his breathing, he looks Procerita in the eyes. 

Trying to take his mind off his current predicament, he focuses on her face.  


Her skin was still smooth as ever. Her eyes a dull blue, like the sky.

“Do you miss anything on Earth?” Procerita asked.

“Well, if I had to say anything, I’d say the sky. It’s only been a little while and I already miss it a lot.”

“It was very pretty. I would like to see it again sometime, maybe not with the intent of killing.”

“Yeah, that would be good.” Max chuckles.

“Yknow, on my home planet I’m a hero. They call me the perfect warrior. I’m looked upon as an idol. But they expected me to be emotionless. I could never talk to anyone about my feelings because I wasn’t supposed to have any.” Procerita confessed. 

There was something in her eyes he had never seen before, and it was rapidly pouring into her. A dam in her soul had been broken, and repressed emotions washed over her like a tidal wave.

“But now, I’m afraid. I’m feeling things again. And all I want to do now is cry. I’m a murderer. I’ve taken more innocent lives than I’d care to count just because ‘it’s the Glalan way’. I lash out at people when they say that we are evil because when I think about it for even a moment, I know they are right. It makes me sick to my stomach. We have been slaughtering BILLIONS of innocent lives, and excuse it just because of some primal desire to hunt.” Procerita sniffled, wiping her nose with the back of her hand. 

With that, Procerita begins to sob. 

And all Max can do is watch. 
Chapter End Notes:

Would ya look at that. Character development. I hope it doesn’t feel too ham-fisted.