- Text Size +

What is this? This isn’t the Earth I wanted! Oliva’s frustration surged as she approached the tiny sphere. She already figured something was off, as the radio and psionic signals were too weak for a planet of the size and complexity she saw from the drone footage. Fucking tunnel. Probably set these bugs back a few centuries. At least there were still cities, but they were much smaller and less interesting. The greenery of the original biomes seemed to remain, surrounding the human habitats in a wall of chlorophyll. Maybe it was pretty, but unique? Impressive? Hardly. Fuck, now it’ll look like every other student’s project. I need this to be novel! She contemplated time travel; going forward a few hundred years might produce a species worth harvesting, but that was too risky. With reality altered, the species might not live long. Maybe something was changed with how they operate, their biology. Maybe they get enslaved by alien invaders. Or maybe their species is now destined to do something dumb that would kill them all. Olivia had seen other lesser species wipe themselves out by using poorly managed, outdated technology that destroyed their climates, but those were especially backwards lifeforms. These humans can’t be that stupid.

As she approached the destination, she shrunk herself to what she estimated humans would measure as 65 “miles” in height. This is about double her height back home, but in this primitive dimension she has mastery over her own size. She stood atop the planet’s only moon. Pockmarked with craters, she added two new depressions in its surface with her socked feet. The moon groaned, threatening to crack in two from her immensity. Likely they can see me now. Maybe I should have been invisible? Nah, I don’t need them to be docile. Olivia took some time to survey the planet more closely. Scanning it with her phone, she recorded all the physical, chemical, and biological data she could. She had most of this from reading the minds of every human present, but she needed it all on written record. The blue world was almost impressive in how generic it was. Oh, how interesting. She sarcastically chided to herself. Your planet has a nickel-iron core? It’s mostly water on the surface? Oh neat, the atmosphere is mostly water, nitrogen, and oxygen. Sooooo unique. Her disappointment was immeasurable. Surveying the puny human settlements, she decided the best strategy would be to start at the most populous area on the planet. Looks like this spot here. They call it ‘Asia.’

Olivia jumped, willing herself to fall feet first down onto a small teardrop-shaped island just off the main continent. The entire island crumbled under her socked feet, her landing so powerful that it made a massive earthquake. With her awareness, she saw millions of humans nearly instantly buried under her socks, and saw the massive waves generated by her arrival. She groaned as the felt millions more on the mainland killed by the quakes, their engineering against earthquakes never expecting to handle the stomping of a giant woman like Olivia. Those who survived the quake found themselves facing a wall of water as the gargantuan waves, nearly coming up to Olivia’s ankle, reached inland for miles, drowning everyone in their path. Behind her, the waves swallowed whole islands and archipelagos, dooming the humans there to an undignified, watery grave. Ah, those cities looked interesting. Oh well. Maybe population is a bad metric. How about I just pick a spot and start looking? At random, she started walking into the ocean, using her power to walk on the surface of the water, and headed for a weird looking landmass across and up North. Some ocean water absorbed into her socks, and she cringed at the uncomfortable feeling of water-logged soles. As she approached the landmass, she yelped, feeling a little sting on her thigh…