- Text Size +

Now inside the office proper Caroline sighs, grasping her things against herself and making her way towards her desk. She takes a moment to appreciate the festive decorations laid out on one side of the room across the mostly abandoned section of cubicles against the wall.

Seeing a series of tables pushed together to act as a catering and gift station she sets her gift bag alongside the others. The small, gently whirring device within clacks against the table inside it’s box as she sets the bag down, still entirely unaware of what she was planting among her boss’s presents.

Nodding and giving basic greetings to the others throughout the office that happened to unenthusiastic-ally notice her presence, she quickly moves to sit down and power up her work station. Eager to take her mind off things for awhile with any kind of distraction she begins furiously typing away at the computer, chugging away at the morning’s assignments.

While she’s busy zoning in on her work on the computer screen, the office moves on as it normally does for the next few hours. Chatter emits from the cubicles around her here and there about what everyone is trying to get done during the shorter work day, what they’d done throughout the weekend and the excitement surrounding getting to let loose later on.

Caroline finds herself growing increasingly more anxious about the situation as she overhears that there’s alcohol involved with the party as a whole. The idea of being around the rest of the office workers with lowered inhibitions and in a drunken state sounds like it could be a nightmare. Another detail she overhears- that the entire affair might wear on into the late hours when the building is usually shut down for the night also worries her, she’s never usually out much later than sundown normally.

However she refocuses on her work, assuring herself that she’s just psyching herself out, that it’s totally normal to have a couple drinks with your coworkers, and that maybe she’ll even manage to make a bit of a better impression on her peers if they all spend some casual hang out time together. Shaking the nervous thoughts from her mind she gets back to typing, managing to finish the entirety of her workload for the day a bit before lunch time.

The fevered session of focused typing took it’s toll however and she leans back in her chair feeling a thin layer of sweat clinging to her body. Brushing her dark bushy hair out of her face she loosens her blouse, airing off the surface of her bouncing cleavage by pulling at her shirt. Blushing slightly as she remembers Jennifer’s comments from earlier she glances around making sure everyone is busy working, and seeing that most are at distant stations anyways she slides her legs outstretched beneath her desk.

Kicking off her flats Caroline lets out a satisfied breath as she feels the cold air conditioning blow over the sweat soaked soles of her bare feet. She had been in such a hurry to leave this morning she didn’t have a chance to find a clean pair of nylons, and the inside of her shoes were becoming an absolute swamp as her body perspired while she worked.

Sitting and wiggling her toes over the carpet as she relaxes, she spreads her legs within her skirt to let the interior of her thighs cool down as well.

Of course this moment of reprieve couldn’t last long, as she hears the sound of someone coughing behind her. Turning around she looks up towards the face of her boss, staring down his nose towards her with a look of amusement on his face. Clearing his throat he smirks before speaking.

“Having a relaxing time are we? Can you come see me in my office when you get the chance Caroline? I have something I’d like to talk to you about- before the party.”

Blushing again, she shoves her feet back into her shoes, slamming them down and sliding them roughly against the ground as she sits up in the chair trying to situate herself.

“Ah! Yes! I mean- yes sir, I can be there in a moment. I’m sorry I was just taking a moment after finishing my work for the moment. I-I’ll be right there!”

Nodding he laughs and shakes his head as he walks away, taking a sip of his drink as he walks back towards his private office door. Caroline’s eyes dance around the area as she rights herself and regains her composure, checking again to see who may have noticed the awkward interaction.

Standing up shakily she makes her way to her boss’s office keeping her head down and trying to act normal. Internally however she was panicking, could something have happened or did she do something wrong on the reports over the weekend?

Entering the decorated office she steps towards the lavish wooden furnishings where he sits waiting at his desk. Looking around for a second at the plaques and bookcases lining the walls around him she turns back to him before timidly speaking.

“Well, uh, sir- here I am. What did you need from me?” She manages to force out, trying to sound as polite as possible and unsure of the correct etiquette in this situation, or what the situation even was to begin with.

“Here, go ahead and take a seat Caroline, and you can call me Ralph by the way, there’s no need for formalities. You’ve been with the company for what, 2, 3 years now?”

Sitting down carefully, she keeps her gaze on him as she responds.

“I- well, yes, I’ve been here for almost 3 full years now. Pretty much my longest job I think actually.”

“Ah, and that’s great. Really great. The work you do is really good too, you’ve done great things for the company and we really appreciate what you do here. I really want you to know that. Unfortunately, there are a few matters I have to discuss with you…”

The look on his face of insincerity is obvious as he lets out well rehearsed words and she feels her stomach turn as she struggles to speak back calmly.

“And… what would that be, Ralph? If it’s about the reports from this weekend- I can explain-”

He laughs, interrupting her by waving his hand before he speaks over her quickly.

“Oh, no no- it’s nothing like that. Like I said, you do good work. Unfortunately this just came in from corporate, you see. They’re telling me I have to do some… downsizing here at the office, and let’s be honest. Although your work is good, I just don’t know if you’re the right fit for the staff here, you know what I mean?”

He looks away from her, idly staring around the room and taking a long sip from his mug. Licking his lips, he continues.

“Don’t you think your particular talents might be better used somewhere you’d feel more… I don’t know, comfortable?”

She looks on with a feeling of internal horror as he raises an eyebrow while he speaks, gesturing towards a packet of corporate memos he’s swinging in his hands over the desk.

“I… I don’t understand. I’m perfectly fine here- wait. Downsizing? What do you mean? Are- Are you talking about letting me go?”

He laughs in response, cutting her off again with another waving hand gesture as he lets out another well rehearsed professional verse.

“I wouldn’t say that, it’s just we’ve got to make some cutbacks on staff here to fit the budget for this year. Don’t look at it that way. You’ll be receiving a few months of severance pay and a gleaming personal recommendation from myself. Think of it more like a paid vacation. I can even put in a good word for you with some of the other offices if you’d like directly. I’m sure you’ll have no problem landing yourself another position.”

Caroline is stunned, unable to speak or even respond as he continues his severance speech. She can’t believe this is even happening, after everything and sacrificing so much of her time. Looking at the confident look on his face as his mouth continues to move she realizes there’s nothing she can even do about this, it’s already been decided before she was even in the room.

“It’s either that or I’d have to start dropping other employees like flies left and right, basically I have to give them something to keep them off our backs and you seem like the best pick. I mean, you wouldn’t want the rest of the staff and the company to suffer, would you?”

She feels something inside her start to break, and Ralph’s mechanical, word delivery batters at her psyche while she struggles to comprehend this as reality. He can’t be serious, this can’t be happening, this isn’t fair- the feelings rush throughout her mind as she tries her best to grasp everything he’s saying.

“If you’re willing to go along with this we’ll make sure you’re well taken care of until you can find another job. So, no hard feelings alright? Just try to get out there and enjoy the party today- It’s my birthday but, I want it to feel like a going away party for you too, alright?”

With a devastatingly hollow smile, he offers his tanned and hairy hand across the desk. His firm handshake grasps her weakly shaking fingers as she pushes them towards him reflexively. Still in a state of shock she mutters a few words as he hands her a pen and starts to point towards places across the corporate paperwork where she needs to sign in order to secure her severance pay and a few other matters.

Looking back up towards him she tries her best not to look as desperate as she feels. He looks back, still smiling as he takes a sip from his mug and gathers the paperwork, continuing to speak. Standing up from his desk, the barrel shape of his body stretches against the casual office shirt he’s wearing. The glittering metals of his watch and rings jingle and shine while he moves, pushing back his hair with his thick fingers.

Walking past her and across the room he opens the door for her, gesturing that she can take her leave now.

“Well, that pretty much takes care of it. Again, I’m sorry about all this, it’s just corporate- you know how they are. Don’t worry too much about it, and just have a good time for the rest of the day- hey at least you got some time off to look forward to as well, right?”

Getting up, she walks toward the door still processing and somewhat stunned by this sudden horrible news. Forcing a chuckle she nods and even reflexively thanks Ralph- the words just coming out as she slowly steps past him back out into the office. Shaking her head in disbelief she tries her best not to feel like this is some sort of walk of shame, the colorful decorations now plastered across the office space and rearranged furniture clashing heavily with her bleak state of disassociation.

Closing the door behind himself, Ralph emerges into the open office space as well a few steps behind her. Clapping his hands loudly he startles Caroline, as others across the office start to clap and hoot as well. The small crowd swarms towards the birthday boy as he lets out a shout, surging around and bumping into her dazed path as she was reflexively heading back towards her desk.

“Hey everyone! That’s enough work for today- come on! Let’s get this party started huh?!”

Ralph shouts over the cheers and applause from the rest of the office workers moving about the area, Caroline tries her best to join in as well letting out a weak “woo” and clapping her hands a few times. The awkward show of appreciation earns her a few more sneers and a look of disapproval from some of the other nearby workers who notice her odd behavior.

“Jesus Christ- Caroline- it’s just a birthday you don’t have to look like THAT- Would it kill you to at least ACT like you give a shit about anyone else here?”

Kelsey, a middle aged woman with short blonde hair who’s never slow on giving her opinions mutters under her breath. She makes sure to leans over so Caroline and the rest of the people immediately around them can definitely hear her. A few of the other nearby workers laugh and Jennifer rolls her eyes from across the group as Caroline looks towards her.

After a bit of chatter about where to begin, the mass of people starts to move towards the tables across the office where all of the furniture has been pushed aside to make a sizable party area. Some take seats, and others gather around the table as Ralph urges people to enjoy the drinks and food that others brought for the occasion.

With a brief session of the group ceremoniously poorly singing their best happy birthday to the boss, the birthday boy cuts his cake and everyone starts to mull about the area partaking in the food and various drinks.