- Text Size +

Back at Command Fracto, the mission-control room was packed, every station filled, people unassigned standing along the walls. Many watched the screens, each displaying video footage and stats.

Chatter floated above the room.

Above all this, a man sat before an electrical desk on a small second floor, three others standing before him.

All watched Askura and Lark.

"Sir," began a lackey. "Is commutation between them wise?"

Another nodded. "Probability shows Lark's likely death will negatively impact Nacto Askura's fighting ability."

The Boss waved over his desk. "No. Let them speak. Lark knows what he's doing."

The third spoke hesitantly. "But… h-he's teasing her… during such a critical moment."

The Boss nodded. "Precisely. He knows how people work." He leaned back in his chair. "Askura has no previous military experience. She's been thrown into this too early."

The first grumbled. "Because she doesn't listen to our instructors!"

"She's not military," the Boss answered. "Her type rarely takes orders well. She needs a personal reason to fight." He glanced over his shoulder, seeing a standard clock on the wall. "We won't get a good performance otherwise."

The Boss faced forward. "Especially when her Nufray abilities remain dormant."

"This is a risk, sir,"

"A preferred risk," said the Boss. "Trust your gut once in a while. Lark's special. If he chooses to intervene—have faith in him."

"He's dying, sir," another said. "He might not care what happens."

"Dying…" the third started, "because he wanted his team to live. Why doom another now? Lark wouldn't breach communications for that."

"And just how much, pray tell, control are we allowing a dying man?" returned the second. "Nacto are equipped with an AI for a reason."

"AI isn't a god."

"Even if it was a god," the third added. "Its words don't matter if they go unheard."

"So… Lark's permitted to interfere?"

The Boss nodded. "Until it's unwise."

He then grinned.

Go on, boy.

Show me something... unexpected.


"You've got a plan?" Lark's voice buzzed in Askura's ears.

"I would… if you would stop yapping."

"We insects have a title to uphold," Lark joked. "Like bugging giants like you."

Askura shifted her hips. "Did you seriously just make a pun?!"

"You ass looks great when you do that, by the way."

"ACK! S-STOP! D-DON'T LOOK THERE!"

"How am I supposed to do that?" Lark asked with a smoke in his voice. "Your back is facing me. And that ass draws the eye."

Askura turned, bent over, and glared down at the tiny. "Pervert!"

"Huh-uh," Lark answered. "You say that... then take a pose that makes your chest hang."

Shivering, Askura shot upward.

"Amazing," Lark nearly whispered. "Everything about you is cute. You're going to do great out there, kiddo." He nodded at her. "Now turn back around. Get ready."

"W-WHY!? JUST SO—"

"I won't check out your ass," Lark promised. "It'll be difficult... but I'll be a good boy."

Frowning, the giantess turned, aware of how her butt… protruded. Shaking her head, she tried to calm herself. "A-And enough... teasing. I'm supposed to be the big one."

"And you can score any guy you like," Lark droned, rolling his eyes. "For the moment, though, you're stuck with this loser."

Askura grumbled, checking around the intersection. Few buildings remained, dusty and destroyed. Her gaze swept across their rooftops. "Losers aren't supposed to tease."

"We're not," Lark said. "But you were too tense to be effective. So we needed to kill that tension."

Something terrible squeezed Askura. "Y-You mean… a-all that… was a ploy?"

"Not fully," Lark answered. "Your ass is really that great."

Askura's hands covered her rear. "LARK! YOU PROMISED!"

"And I kept it," Lark chuckled. "That image is already ingrained in my head. That's enough for me."

"PERV!"

"Guilty." Lark's hand raised. "But... then again... here you are… worried a 'pervert's' compliments have been fake."

Askura growled, hands dropping. "I don't like you."

"Also part of the plan."

"W-What? Make me dislike you… so you dying will be easier?"

"Two birds, one stone."

"Shove it," Askura fired back. "I'm saving you… then punishing you after this."

"Punished? Sounds kinky."

"B-BY THE FRACTO BOARD, IDIOT!"

"Couldn't you just do it? More entertaining for everyone involved."

"I sooooo wouldn't enjoy punishing you."

"Really?" Lark asked. "Because it feels like you're smiling."

"I'M NOT!"

"You're bigger," Lark chuckled. "Everything you do... is amplified."

"I'm sick of you." Askura's tongue stuck out. "I'll flatten both you and that reactor."

"Good… that means you're finally destressed."

Askura went to speak yell… but found that she felt lighter, looser, and not at all scared. Even her mind was less foggy since this verbal game of theirs had begun.

Exhaling, she lowered her shoulders, relaxing. "Y-You're... right. I feel... better." She breathed deeply. "But I'm still scared. Still worried."

"That's normal," Lark affirmed. "That's what keeps you sharp. What reminds you of what's at stake." He hummed. "Just can't let it consume you, is all." A hollow laugh. "Or everything you fear will come true."

"Mhm."

"Have a plan yet?"

"Not really."

"Act as though you'll win."

"Ha." Askura's eyes rolled. "Must be a nice way to live."

"I'm serious," Lark returned. "Have faith in yourself. If you feel like you'll lose—your heart will surrender easily." He exhaled. "You won't fight for that extra inch. You've already given up—and all you're doing is holding out."

Lark became stern. "Don't do that. Go in there to win… seize every inch. Faith, Askura. Have faith in yourself."

Askura slumped, her fingers tapping the side of her leg. "Do you… have faith in me?"

"Of course."

"Why?" Askura asked. "You don't know me."

"You have to believe in something to make it happen," Lark said. "And you've already assured me." He chuckled. "Unless you wish to prove me wrong?"

"I detest that cocky attitude," Askura answered, straightening, smiling. "Just wait. Soon... I'll be teasing you."

"Then I'm excited, fighter," Lark darkly chuckled, though to Askura, it tickled something sensitive inside her. "Now… start planning. See the buildings around you?"

"You mean the ones too small for me?" Askura asked, poking a finger through a window, breaking the glass and concrete, her fingertip filling the room on the other side. "Yeah. What good are they?"

"Before? A home for the people." Lark turned, violently coughing. His hand hid his face. "Now? Those buildings are a resource. Use them for cover. They should stop weak projectiles."

Done hacking, he faced her. "You could duck behind them, and when the Zankek attacks, you can break through the building, catching it in surprise. You could even throw the Zankek into it for extra damage. Or rip a chunk of the building off and chuck it at the monster."

Askura stared down the building, tilting her head, making a cute, concerned face, envisioning the tinies that lived throughout the many floors. "B-But d-destruction s-should be kept to a minimum."

"I'm not saying to destroy the city," Lark said. "But use your resources as they become imperative. Restrictions lead to hesitation—and those monsters have none. They'll win... and you'll be dead."

Askura grumbled, sucking on her lips.

"These monsters don't feel remorse," Lark said. "In fact… they revel in destruction. They've more cards in their decks than us." Humming. "Don't hand 'em anything extra."

"And… what?" Askura asked. "We should be like them?"

"If necessary? Yes," Lark stated. "Besides... a cute, giant girl kicking buildings into two? That sounds well worth the price."

Askura growled. "I'm going to kick you."

"Do that after practising on the Zankek." Lark rose, struggling, holding his shoulder as he turned, facing the dust storm on the horizon. A shadowed form appeared, walking through the developing clouds. "Zankek Rano. D-Tier. Searching for fresh Nufray to accelerate its evolution."

Askura's feet spread across the intersection, scraping the asphalt, boots sinking. Taking a stance, the giantess wielded the HF Sword with both hands.

Lark, meanwhile, watched her unsteady stance.

He exhaled.

I need to keep alive for a little longer, Lark thought, finding cover. Most of his gear was gone. There was little he could actually do.

Tapping a finger to his right ear, he changed channels on the embedded communication device. Hitting 256.184, he stopped, a green light flashing. "Lark Farnoz to Command. Code Nine-Six-Eight-Four. Verification: Unzo. Tracking to coordinates eight-one-six-five-four-three-one. Over."

"Lark Farnoz recognized and granted," a lady answered. "GPS Tracking is currently unavailable for those coordinates. Our satellites cannot track targets through electrical sand storms."

"Roger, improvising," Lark answered.

Lark oversaw the scene, blown by winds threatening to whisk him off the building, seeing the dark shape in the beyond. Still, it strode, not at all appearing to get closer.

Above in the sky, sounds were heard. He glared at the clouds and watched a force that caused them to wisp into trails.

It caused a shiver.

"The sky!" Lark said. "Eyes up!"

"W-What?" Askura said, staring down at the shadowed shape. "But I see it right in front of—"

Suddenly, there was an opening in the clouds, and from it, a beast that looked like a crocodile and a dragon had fused then appeared. Giant, with scales of a dried green, the monster fell from the storm—mouth open.

Lighting struck around the monster, announcing the fatal moment.

And Askura locked up and squeaked while seeing the monster, her smooth, nearly pale neck exposed. Armour and fabric still dressed it… but the monster's large, white teeth seem like the kind that could puncture through obsidian.

"Swing your right arm right—NOW!"

Askura, allowing the command to flush right through her, swung her right arm into the monster—bashing the side of his face. The contact sent it twirling backward, but its wings broke against the momentum.

Catching itself, it started to flap forward, glaring down at the girl.

Who, after striking the monster, had let go of her sword. It flew, twirling in the air, casting out slicing winds. On the reactor's roof, Lark stood, watching the weapon hurl toward him.

It was like a panel on a wind turbine. Suddenly, the black blade struck the ground, cutting through it and burying itself.

It stood there, dust flowing from the impact, while the blade remained tilted from the ground, the handle looming above the soldier. He gazed at it, impressed, never expecting to see a weapon at such a size.

It helped to remind him of just how small he was.

Though the idea only made him smile.

Back in the intersection, Askura stumbled, scared without her weapon, coming to a lone spire of a building. Leaning away, she panted, panicked.

"Don't lose your head just yet," Lark's voice crackled in her ear. "Rano's detected you're not like the other Nactos." Humming. "So... use that to your advantage. Keep looking scared. Hug that spire—then, when the time is right... break it off and SWING."

"I-I can't! I can't—"

"You can," Lark responded sternly. "And you will. Forget your fear. You don't even know what you're capable of yet." He blinked, his second screen coming on in his goggles, watching the fight from her point of view.

"And I'm here to support you. Hey. Think about it this way. You're about to bat a Zankek going fifty miles an hour. You know what you'll get if you make that hit? Your very own baseball card—stats included."

"I-I…"

"It's okay. Don't think." Lark chuckled. "That's what got you into trouble in the first place. Focus. That's all you need to do."

“I… I need you to…”

"I'll do as much as I can," Lark said. "Here he comes. Hold out for a little longer. Wait until it's too late for him to pull the breaks—one shot, one swing, one surprise." Lark nodded. "Don't waste it."

And so Askura waited, seeing the bug-like monster hurl toward her in a swamp-like shade, bearing wings that seemed too large for its body.

Rano roared, its gator-like mouth opened. It was content to capture any portion of the woman within its maw.

"Don't think. Don't twitch. Don't overreact," Lark continued. "Just a simple swing. Nothing too powerful. That's all that you have to do."

Then it came in a split second, the world slowing down, the sandstorm becoming distant and unheard—the developing cracks and their crumbles coming slowly.

Askura watched the monster as it came seconds in front of her. There was an urge to swing then and there, seeing a predator's mouth coming toward her—hungry for the kill.

But Askura waited.

Then.

"NOW!"

Without thinking, Askura, clutched to the spire, broke it with a hug, dust blasting from the tearing, chunks of concrete falling.

Turning with the spire, Askura swung it at Rano, basking and breaking it into Rano's side.

It slapped him off course as chunks broke upon and across him. Batted into another building, he crashed into it, the structure collapsing upon him.

It rained.

"No time to watch!" Lark shouted. "Grab your weapon!"

Askura twitched and turned, running though stumbling, her feet striking the ground oddly, sinking and slipping on their uneven surface. Scrunching her face, Askura cursed herself, pushing harder to make it across the landscape.

Seconds separated the booms of her stomping boots, which smacked the ground with the sound and force of dropped bombs, exerting tremendous force effortlessly.

While sprinting for the buried sword, Askura glanced over her shoulder—seeing clumps of debris move within the collapsed structure.

Lark then saw text appear in his goggles.

//: WARNING! REACTOR MELTDOWN IMMINENT

Lark clicked his teeth.

And that was that.

"Seems like I need to make my escape," Lark said. "Go. Finish the fight. Draw Rano away. He must not drink what remains after the explosion."

Askura turned after drawing out the sword, turning before the reactor, her long, black-covered legs shooting back into the Earth—shaking it.

Taking a stand against the monster rising from the collapsed building, she hunched forward—ready for the fight. "Like hell I'm doing that! You're coming with me—and that's that!"

"There's nowhere I can go, and nowhere you can keep me," Lark stated, angry. "I'm a lost cause. Now... finish your mission!"

Just then, Rano slid from the building onto the streets, slithering across the intersection shakily. Slime oozed from its front. Rano, setting its monstrous eyes on Askura, was bound toward her.

Clutching her blade with both hands, Askura raised it—content to bring it down with all her force.

"I'll just cut him in half," Askura started, "and carry you home in my hands!"

"Askura, WAIT!"

Askura's blade streaked downward, aimed for the nearing, slithering creature, which grinned as it turned onto its side—flaring a great wind. Sharp and pointed, the points on the shot into Askura's wrists, causing her hands to release the sword.

"Askura!"

Unable to do anything, the giantess tried to kick the monster, but it slid around her foot, turning, mouth opening as it flung at her ankle. Its great teeth bore into the metal plating, squishing it with effortless force—starting to reach the fabric beneath.

Panicked, Askura dropped like an airship crashing into the ground, the impact indescribable. Great tremors and sound exploded outward as the girl laid on her back, legs raised, kicking. "G-Get OFF of me!"

She was about to bring her other foot onto the head of the latched monster…

…when…

"D-Don't!" Lark could barely warn, knocked around by Askura's vibrations, seeing the only the towering legs that could extend toward the clouds. The monster was attached to her ankle, being raised and lowered, gnawing at the armour. "You'll give it the force it needs to break through. Look! Its mouth is just open enough for you to grab it."

Askura, barely getting herself together, looked at the creature, seeing the opening. Leaning forward to grab its mouth, her gloves automatically changed, revealing a steel-like surface. Grabbing it, the giantess strained herself, spreading its mouth.

"That's right! Remember, it's not as big or strong as you," Lark cheered. "Don't give into its fear."

Opening the mouth enough to free her leg, Askura did something unexpected, which was to swing her leg back into the monster's mouth. The force and impact blew the creature back as it flew from Askura's hands.

Once against, it smashed through a building, which toppled upon it, the structure raining down, great clouds developing.

Askura, on her back and holding her hurting leg, turned to look at the reactor's roof—seeing the boy standing there. His black hair was blown back to reveal his cute, handsome face, which seemed to be the first genuine reaction she'd seen upon him.

And so, laying on her side, clutching a leg, Askura chuckled, coming to dip a finger into the ground, drawing lines upon it. "S-So… c-come here often?"

Lark slumped, exhaling… smiling. "Y-You're kidding, right?"

"Who said that killing tension is important?"

"We're still under threat—and you need to draw that thing away."

"Not without you."

"Yes, without me," Lark nodded, stepping back. "I already have my way out. Don't worry about me." He turned from the ledge, limping toward an unknown. "Go on and win this. I'll be watching."

Grabbing something from the ground, he cocked it, a sound not meant to be captured over the call. "Don't disappoint me, now. You did well with that kick. You have what it takes. Do us all proud, now."

Lark turned to the door leading back inside the reactor, which unsealed at its center, twisting, until the automated and metallic door opened with air pressure releasing.

He didn't bother looking back as he went on ahead, entering darkness, hearing the door power and build with pressure again—closing.

Left in the darkness where distant scowls could be heard, the man let himself collapse, exhaling. Raising a hand to his earpiece, he stroked with the gesture to turn his communications and vitals offline.

Then, looking at the pistol in his hand, he raised it, almost hesitantly, turning the barrel toward him.

What a strange way to die, Lark thought, chuckling, and not knowing why. Askura... I'm... happy I met you. You seemed fun. Watching you develop... would have been nice.

And bringing the pistol to his mouth, Lark exhaled for the last time, eyes closing, countless feelings and thoughts rushing through him… but drawing backward like waves upon a beach.

Letting himself become truly empty, his finger flicked the safety.

While the other inched for the trigger.

Chapter End Notes:

Whoa-ho! My first story with more than two chapters? Who thought I'd ever do it!

Once again, this is a strange, strange story, written to my fancy. It's more romance than it is lewd. 

But if you don't write for yourself... then the stories you want to read will never come to! 

Until chapter 3, everyone!
~ Yr. Pal, Underscore

(Join My Discord: https://discord.gg/MaW8EADUqf)