- Text Size +

The visit to the doctor proved to be almost entirely useless. After 2 hours of waiting, 20 minutes were spent trying to convince the doctor something was wrong before he'd even check Julia's record to confirm that she, in fact, was not 6'1" before now. Even then, all they got out of the appointment was a blood test, and a promise they would get a call if something was unusual. It was easy to be frustrated, but what else could the doctor do? There was no scientific basis for what happened to Julia. Michael couldn't blame the man for his confusion.

Back in the car, Julia's leg bounced up and down in the passenger seat. She stared out the window, lost in her own head. She was fine physically beyond the changes she had undergone, which was a small comfort, but she was obviously worried, and reasonably so.

Michael's thoughts were just as chaotic, if not even more so. There was no way that the program could have done this, right? That would be ridiculous, a fantasy. But the timing, the exact nature of what had happened to Julia, it was all exact. He obviously didn't intentionally make the program to do this, as if that was even possible. And yet, it seems it did. The proof was sitting right next to him. If that was the cause, at least that meant she was safe, that the changes weren't harming her in anyway. And if this was replicable...

"Michael." Julia's voice startled him from his thoughts. "You've been driving in circles for a while now." Lost in his thoughts, Michael had circled the neighborhood several times now.

"Sorry, I'm just a little lost in thought." He turned back onto their street and pulled into the driveway. "You doing okay? It's been... a weird day."

Julia let out a weak laugh. "Yeah, that's an understatement. I'm fine, I think, just a little overwhelmed. I'm gonna go lie down for a while." She gave a sad smile before stepping out of the car.

"If you want to talk, I'll be here." Michael stepped out as well, pulling his wife into an embrace. It was strange, they had done this countless times before, but now it felt so new. There was an awkward second where they didn't know exactly how to hold each other, not used to their new size difference. Julia's grip felt stronger than before, her arms wrapped tightly around his waist.

"Thank you." She said, breaking the hug as the two entered the house, splitting off as Michael went to his office and Julia to the bedroom. Immediately, he opened the program again. There was no way in hell that this could be a coincidence. He was determined to get to the bottom of this. When it opened, he was met once again with the digital replica of Julia. As far as he could tell, it was the same as it was before the program crashed. He reverted the rest of the changes he made earlier, returning the digital Julia to how she was before. Before he hit save, he walked over to the bedroom to check on Julia.

It seemed that Julia had already fallen asleep, the stress must have exhausted her. It was hard to tell, with Michael standing in the doorway and light off, but she looked like she hadn't changed back to normal. Michael pulled out his phone and opened a remote desktop app, and logged into his computer. staring at the program again, he hit save, and watched the results. He couldn't believe his eyes.

Julia began to morph before his eyes. Limbs retracted into her torso, the strain of her clothes relaxing. Her stomach softened as her muscles faded, and the rest of her body followed suit. After about 10 seconds, the Julia laying on the bed was the same as she was before, the same as the digital representation in his hand, with no sign she had ever been altered. Michael was dumbfounded.

He closed the app on his phone and rushed over to the bed, kneeling by his sleeping wife. She was totally fine. If it wasn't for the last few hours, he would never have guessed anything had happened. He reached out to shake her awake, but paused just before his hand made contact. Could he really tell her what had happened? How could he explain that some computer code he wrote had somehow turned her into a statuesque fitness model, and then turned her back with a simple press of a button? He pulled his hand away. This was something he had to keep to himself. For now, anyway.

Michael sat in his office for what felt like hours. Sitting, staring, at the computer across from him. What was he supposed to do now? He had gone over the code over and over, and found nothing unusual every time (not that he even knew what he could possibly be looking for). He copied the program onto his laptop and tested it again on the sleeping Julia, to the same results. His plan to sell this thing had gone up in flames, the consequences of releasing this to the public could be disastrous. He thought about handing it over to the government, but the last thing he wanted was to be interrogated in a dark room for an eternity, or worse, have his invention weaponized. No, that wasn't an option. He had to keep this under wraps.

Michael's financial situation was getting tight, and the thing that was going to save him was now too dangerous to release. He needed a plan, and fast. He could bury this, never speak of it again, and go back to working his boring desk job. Or, he could take advantage of his accidental creation. Michael didn't like the idea, but there was no denying that the power he held could be a huge boon. Surely there was a way to monetize this, possibly more than he could ever dream.

He opened the program again. Julia's model was still open. The real her was still asleep in the bedroom down the hall, but looking at her virtual form on the screen stirred something in Michael. He scrolled down the list of attributes, changing them back to how they'd been after his earlier accident. In a moment of weakness, he pushed the height slider up a touch further, to 6'3". He didn't dare mention it to Julia earlier, but the feeling of looking up to her was exhilarating, and she had looked incredible with the height and muscle she had. Another couple inches couldn't hurt.

The extent of the power that Michael was holding was only now beginning to dawn on him. His mind was awash with the possibilities, each more ambitious than the last. His original plan was to change the digital graphics industry, but even that seemed like small potatoes in comparison to what was before him. If he used it properly, he wouldn't have to worry about money ever again. Before that, though, he wanted to have a little bit of fun with it. He grabbed the mouse and hit save.