- Text Size +

 

Epilogue


It was finally finished.

For over a year now, we had been constructing it. Taking the scrap metal and wreckage from the cities, and using it to build one last time. When the people began to return, hesitantly, to the bombed-out cities, we took them in. They helped us build it.

I had no longer any doubts. It was a scale model, and it would work. But I would not be the one leaving this time. I would just be saying goodbye.

The gate was done.


Sarah was sitting next to me, vast legs curving off into the distance. Nearby I could see a few scattered groups of people watching, there to salute their fellow worker, and say their goodbyes. I knew most of them by face, if not by name.

Chloe was stationed at the portal's controls, ready to initiate on my command.

But for now, I simply lay by the side of my woman, my giantess. I wasn't quite ready to part. Some part of me never would be.

Her lips leaned in and she gave me a soft, tender kiss, nipping slightly at me and dampening my clothes in the process. I reciprocated with an awkward peck as the lips moved away.

"I love you, you know that," I said tentatively.

"And I love you," she said, her voice filled with warmth, tinged with sadness.

"But we can't be together. You have your world to help, and I've kept you from it long enough."

"I don't belong here, it's true," Sarah said wistfully, her gaze growing distant now. "But I do think I belong with you."

"I know you do," I said, my voice becoming frantic even to my own ears. "I know that we should be with each other... But it isn't meant to be." As I said it, the full weight of that knowledge bore down on me. We were not meant to be. I loved her with all my soul, but we were not meant to be.

"I know," she said quietly. "But we will see each other again, won't we?"

"I still have the portal," I said, trying to martial my feelings. "I will return to you someday."

She didn't ask me to promise her. The promise had been in our kiss. It was flowing through our veins. We were so deeply intertwined that I would not survive without seeing her again. Someday.

We kissed one last time, deeply, her mouth gently rubbing all over me, her warm breath tasting sweet in my throat. My tongue brushed against her much larger one. I closed my eyes, already struggling to commit this kiss to memory, fearing it would be my last.

Then she got up, and began to walk towards the portal. I signaled Chloe to begin the sequence. The portal lights lit up.

This was for the best, I struggled to convince myself. Sarah's people needed her back on her world. And I had full confidence in her ability to lead them. I knew she would do great things for her world, just as I would try to do for mine.

The portal initiators turned on. I tried to instill her image in my mind, remember the curve of her hips, that particular sway in her hair, the fullness of her lips. I couldn't forget her. But right then I knew it would be impossible to even try.

The portal laser arced into the center of the gate. This wasn't permanent. I would visit her again. Someday I would return to her. Someday, someday...

The portal initiators finally slid into place, the gate was ready. Sarah hesitated just a brief moment, to lock eyes with me. Then she stepped forwards purposefully, towards the shimmering abyss, and her own world.

There was a bright flash, and she was gone.