- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Still no smut in this one, but guess what? I uploaded two chapters today and the other one actually has some, depending on your definition.
You were looking forward to going out tonight to the UU event, not just because it was something that filled you with a bit of purpose, but also because you knew you’d get to see Alexa there. She was clever, beautiful, and driven in a way you always wanted to be, but weren’t. You’d only moved to the city a few months ago, but she’d been on your mind most of that time. She was tall, though unfortunately not taller than you as few women were, but her substantial height was such a nice bonus given your… interests. Having met her at another UU “Square of Truth,” you now looked eagerly to Friday nights where you might get to see her during the Square or after, when some people went out for a meal after.

You wanted to ask her out, but felt like it would be wrong to do it there, in a place that was meant for something more “pure” in some sense. You could have asked for her number or her Swiftpic, but that was the same thing with extra steps. Luckily you knew Sara through a friend from your old town, and she knew Alexa. Maybe you could ask her to help somehow? It’d been a long while since you met anyone through something other than the apps.

Well, now you were there, and so was she. Unfortunately, you got there exactly on time, so there wasn’t any time to chit chat before getting started. In any case, like always, you had a hard time not glancing over at her every two seconds, though you were pretty engaged with your outreach. Time passed quickly, and then you noticed it was already almost time to go–either home or to the restaurant you all usually went to after, Greenspeace. You decided that you’d ask her out there, that very night. No more waiting.

You looked over and saw through a pretty thick crowd that Alexa was busy having a heated conversation with some slovenly cowboy wannabe. You kept watching as she looked angrier and angrier until she got this weird look on her face and you could have sworn, no, that couldn’t be, could it? It looked like the man she was debating shrunk! Wait, there was something on the ground now, something that was unmistakably human, but much smaller, at the very lower limit of what you could see from a few paces away. But it was moving and–and she was on it in a flash, scooping it up. You looked away quickly, not wanting to be seen staring.

But, like, what the actual fuck? Did you go crazy? Nothing else looked out of the ordinary, not even any visual disturbances. No voices, no sense of disorientation. You even felt pretty well-rested, if physically tired from standing for a few hours and debating people in a subway station after a full day of working from home doing aerospace engineering. That was something you and Alexa bonded over: being interested in “space stuff.” Alexa. The woman who apparently could do magic or something, but specifically the kind that you were interested in. Or would be interested in, if it were real. Which it apparently was. What.

You stuffed down the heady feeling washing through you, the feeling that your entire world-model was as wrong as Aristotle’s, that every single one of your beliefs had to be reexamined closely, and focused on not falling over or doing something silly like that. You did still need to look cool around Alexa, after all. The woman who could make your dreams come true. The woman–wait. You were doing it again: letting your incredulity and amazement and everything else get the better of you. You clamped down, hard this time and felt a bit more grounded.

Well, the meal at Greenspeace was going to be especially interesting today. You were going to ask her some very probing questions.

_____________

Penelope wound down the Square and asked everyone who planned on eating out together to raise their hands so the restaurant would know how many people to expect. You started to raise your hand, but noticed that Alexa didn’t raise hers, and in fact darted away, racing to just barely catch a train. A feeling of social pressure kept you from running after her, and then you finished raising your hand when you saw that it would be impossible to catch up to her.

You had a pretty nice time, but were definitely distracted. At one point Sara snapped her fingers in your face. “Earth to Ira,” she quipped. “Oh, sorry, I was thinking about something else,” you replied. “Clearly,” she dryly noted.

“Ira, what you need is to come out to a party. Loosen up. Not that you’re not already plenty loose, but you could always do with a bit of loosening.”

You thought that was fair, but it was also coming from someone who pregamed wine in her reusable water bottle when she went out, so perhaps it wasn’t a good idea to go as far as her, and you said as much in a good-natured, if teasing way. “That’s also fair,” she said, reasonably. “But you should definitely come out anyway. It’s tomorrow and it’s at Roxie’s. Alexa will be there…” You hated that you were this readable. In any case, it would probably be the soonest you’d be able to corner her and find out what on Earth was going on.

______________

Alexa gripped her knees the whole ride home, knuckles white. What was she going to do? She’d kidnapped someone. There’s no going back from that. She was going to finish grad school, join NASA, she was going to do so many things, but this guy ruined that all for her. She’d have to take care of him. She’d either need to have a forever pet or she’d have to kill him in a way that left no evidence. No, she couldn’t keep him as a pet, then he’d BE evidence. What was she thinking? She couldn’t kill someone. Maybe she could get him to promise not to get back at her. But what if he came back and tried to hurt her while she was sleeping or something?

Well, what was done was done. Maybe he’d have some way of convincing her not to do what she really, really didn’t want to do anyway. Some kind of assurance or guarantee. She was at her apartment now. Ugh! She could feel him in her pocket, as small as he was. He felt like he weighed a million pounds. A dumpy albatross around her neck. She knew the cube-square law meant he wouldn’t get hurt falling, so she couldn’t chance letting him loose on a table or any surface where he might be able to escape. She went to her cupboard, got out a glass, walked to her bedroom, and set it down. She took a moment to collect herself. She wanted to present a cool, calm, and collected image to the man even though her mind was reeling and a thousand emotions were boiling up under the surface. And for some reason, one of them was arousal. She pulled him out of her pocket and plopped him into the glass.