- Text Size +
Michael was to be denied that satisfaction, however.

"Osiriiiiiii!" screamed the warrior, impaling himself with his own sword! And, as stunned as Sandy was by that, Michael was even more so. The warrior, his life's blood flowing from him, looked up at the youngster and smiled, defiantly.

"S-Simbarra...curse you...and all...your...ilk."

With those final words, he fell down dead to his right.

Michael slowly walked back over to where Sandy was finding it increasingly difficult to support the half-conscious Toray all by herself. For someone so slender, he certainly weighed more than she did!

"I told you I had a confession to make," Michael said (with a lame grin).

"Don't tell me. Let me guess," replied Sandy: "You want to wait until we get back home."

Her boyfriend nodded. Reminding her that they had left their car behind at the Retroplex. He then suggested--very politely--that she could resume her giant size and transport them--he and Toray--back to the gatehouse at Goodson Academy. With no other obvious option, she agreed.

Thus, she found herself naked for the second time that night.

As the fifty-foot tall teenager strode back towards the boarding school run by her father, Michael (sitting in the palm of her right hand) removed something from around Toray's neck. At first glance, it resembled nothing more than a crude necklace. A piece of white string with only one decoration: a small glass pyramid roughly the size of a pea.

But, in actuality, the pyramid was made of pure quartz crystal. And, when Michael concentrated upon it, it grew large enough to fill the interior of his cupped hands!

He then focused his thoughts upon it.

"Landor calling Willek. Landor calling Willek. Do you read me? Over."

He telepathically repeated that mantra twice more before an image formed within the pyramid. The image of an old man with silvery-white hair...and a strangely fixed gaze.

"Landor; how many times must I tell you? Stop using that jargon! Your parahedron is not some walkie-talkie in a World War II movie."

"I'm not using my parahedron. I'm using Toray's."

There was a momentary pause: "What?!"

Michael closed his eyes, and placed the pyramid to his forehead. The resulting flood of mental images, from the past thirty-five minutes, were thereby relayed to the elderly personage at the other end.

Willek shook his head.

"Osiri? Here, on this world? Incredible!"

"But, true," countered Michael: "And, that can mean only one thing."

Willek nodded: "They've somehow gained the knowledge to create Apertures."

* * * * *

Goodson Academy, like the town that eventually grew up around it, had been named for William Wallace Goodson. The latter was a Revolutionary War veteran who had been born and raised in what was then the Windham County parish of Scotland, Connecticut. But, as he had fought for America's independence as the privateering captain of "The Sultan of Bozrah" (a frigate captured from the shipyards at New London), he had eventually come to be nicknamed "Bozrah Billy."

The fortune he had amassed, attacking and looting British East Indiamen, allowed him to purchase a decommissioned Continental Army fort, in the Northwest Corner of Connecticut, in 1785. It and the surrounding acreage became the nucleus of an elegant farmstead. With the site of the fort's main gate becoming the farmstead's gatehouse.

Unfortunately, a childhood bout with the mumps had left him permanently infertile. So, he had no children to whom he could bequeath the farmstead when he died of old age, in 1817. He therefore willed it to the Nutmeg State. Stipulating it should be used as a preparatory school for American Indian children, prior to educating them at Dartmouth.

Regardless of whether or not they even _wanted_ a white man's education!

The school's goals, curricula, and student body had changed many times since then. But, the gatehouse had always been the habitation of the groundskeepers. And, the Smith family proved no exception to this.

In addition to Michael, there was his twenty-six year-old cousin Martin; Martin's widowed mother, Lucy; and her blind father-in-law, John. Teachers, students, and townies alike knew them as a family of shunned Amish from Pennsylvania! Why they had been shunned was never revealed.

Yet, it was now obvious to Sandy that not even that much was true. And, before the night was over, she was going to learn what kind of light her boyfriend had hidden under the proverbial bushel. Or, they were through!

tbc