- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
WASHINGTON, D.C. 1943
* * * * *

Steve Trevor (Major, U.S. Army Intelligence) had been sent to Istanbul to fly "Omaha" Mackelroy back to London. Black Obelisk and all. And, as usual, he had been accompanied by his administrative assistant, Lt. Diana Prince (U.S. Navy WAVES*).

When Mackelroy failed to make their rendezvous on time, Trevor went to investigate. Prompting Diana to follow him in her true identity. The one created for her by the American press; Wonder Woman!

It was the Amazing Amazon who spotted Mackelroy and two other Americans (total strangers to her) being chased across the rooftops of Istanbul by the Iraqi soldiers of General Suleiman Ibn Daoud. She swiftly interceded on their behalf. Her feminum bracelets repelling the bullets the soldiers fired at her, until she could get close enough to subdue them (and their Gestapo accomplices), manually.

Unfortunately, her intercession did not prove swift enough. As, the disparate trio she had sought to rescue vanished before her very eyes!

In relaying this to General Blankenship (Steve's commanding officer), forty-eight hours later, the former was very dubious when the latter hypothesized that the folklore surrounding the obelisk must be true.

"But, at least the Nazis don't have it, either," he added: "That's some consolation."

Wonder Woman nodded: "Even more encouraging? Subic Bey's daughter is now safely back on Mindinao, with her father, where she'll help him step up his resistance efforts against the Imperial Japanese Army."

That was when "Omaha" Mackelroy came tumbling out of nowhere. Hitting his head against the back wall of the general's office. And, prompting Blankenship to exclaim:

"Great Scott! How did _he_ get in here?"

* * * * *

PHILADELPHIA, PA.
(JULY 4, 1876)

Catwoman was momentarily stunned speechless by Count Manzeppi's pronouncement. She had only half-believed Cicero's telepathic explanation. Part of her still thinking she must have hit her head, back in that cave near the Bestiary. And, therefore, she had hallucinated both his telepathy and their free-falling trip through the timestream.

Count Manzeppi used her speechlessness to resume talking.

"I came to this exposition seeking the Black Obelisk of Ramses. And, here, you bring it right to me!"

"You mean, this thing?" replied Catwoman (snapping out of it): "Oh, it's nothing more than a custom-made scratching post for my beloved Cicero. Really!"

"Heh-heh-heh-heh-heh!" laughed the count: "Nice try, my dear. But, I know better. As would any other noteworthy scholar of the arcane! That is the fabled Black Obelisk. Stolen from the Moors, in medieval Spain, by El Cid. Brought to the New World by Cortez. And, property of the Mexican government for over sixty-five years."

"I came here to intercept its transfer of custody, from the Mexican ambassador to the envoy of the Egyptian Khedive. But, obviously, you got to it, first! I won't ask how. I have _that_ much respect for 'honor among thieves.' Make no mistake, though: only a miracle will prevent my wresting it from you! So, please, do us both a favor? Hand it over, peaceably. Now!"

Catwoman's reply was very succinct: "Sick him, Cicero!"

"ROWRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!"

The black Persian cat seemed to move with the speed of a cheetah. But, Count Manzeppi proved faster. He outstretched his arms, a flattened top hat held between them. And, with its crown facing him.

To Catwoman's shocked amazement, Cicero disappeared inside it!

With the sound like that of a cork, popping out of a wine bottle, the top hat resumed its full shape. The count then hurriedly righted it, the bottom facing up towards him. In less time than it takes to tell, he had covered it with his left hand, muttered some unintelligible words, and then used that same hand to remove...a solid gold Persian oil lamp!

One that shook back and forth like a willow tree in an earthquake. Muffled hissing and spitting coming from within it.

"So much for your feline familiar. Now, as for you, personally...?"

His threat was interrupted by the sound of two pistol hammers being clicked back. Manzeppi and Catwoman turned their heads, simultaneously, and saw two men dressed like Mexican caballeros. One with dark brown hair, a blue suit, and a black Stetson hat. The other, slightly older, with black hair, a brown suit, and matching Stetson hat.

Each of them had a nickel-plated Colt Peacemaker trained on the count.

"Ah!" exclaimed the latter: "Messrs. West and Gordon. We meet for a not-so-charming third time."

"Empty your hands, count," ordered Jim West: "And, raise them high."

"Like this?" replied Manzeppi. Whereupon, he dropped the top hat to the floor. The moment it landed, it twirled on its crown like a deftly-thrown coin. When it came to a stand-still, a red rubber ball shot upward out of it.

With a trajectory that took it straight at the two men.

"Look out, Jim!" exclaimed Artemus Gordon. But, his partner, as always, proved quick on the draw. Firing upon the spherical projectile, and shattering it. Or, more accurately, detonating it.

FLASH-BANG!

When their eyes and nostrils cleared, the two Secret Service agents looked about. And, Artie (ever the chemist) speculated that there must have been a psychedelic compound in that grenade.

"Everything around us looks gigantic!"

The moment he said this, a huge, black, snake-like object descended from above and bound them together, back-to-back. And, Catwoman laughed as she dragged them closer to her.

"I wished Manzeppi away. And, now, with you two, I'll play!"

tbc
Chapter End Notes:
* WAVES: Women Appointed for Volunteer Emergency Service. Female component of the U.S. Naval Reserve during WWII.