- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
PHILADELPHIA, PA.
(JULY 4, 1876)
* * * * *

Two years after his commitment to a private mental hospital in Switzerland, former U.S. Senator Seth Buckley had finally (some might even say "mercifully") passed on. Shortly afterward, it was revealed, through a codicil to his will, that his wife had actually given birth--not to quadruplets--but QUINTUPLETS!

And, the last-born son had been just as acromegalic as Dimas.

But, where Dimas wound up being raised by a German anthropologist with radical theories that Charles Darwin, himself, would have scoffed at, his brother's fate was even stranger. He became the personal bodyguard of a man, who re-named him "Voltaire" (after his favorite French philosopher).

That man was Professor Miguelito Loveless. The mental giant with a grudge against the world that he perceived as looking down on him. Both literally and figuratively.

The professor's body had recently been found floating in Chesapeake Bay. With his brain surgically removed from his skull! The subsequent investigation, by Agents West and Gordon, led them to the country's first medical school for women. And, the resident instructor in charge of neurosurgery; Dr. Cassandra Faustina.

Once again, she eluded capture with the help of her assistant, Miklos. But, before making that escape, she revealed how--using written instructions provided by Loveless, himself--she had transplanted the professor's brain into Voltaire's body!

The two agents followed this lead back to the Buckley family estate, in Kansas. Unfortunately, just as they were about to debark from their private train, "The Wanderer," a strange kind of vertigo overcame them. The same kind they had experienced only once before. Namely; during their psychic transportation through time-and-space by the invalid ex-Confederate Army officer, Colonel Vautrain.

When the vertigo left them, they found themselves listening to yet another of their old enemies, Count Manzeppi, threatening the life of an unidentified woman. So, they burst in on him, six-guns drawn. Only to find themselves apparently reduced to the size of chess pieces!

And, now, that same mystery-woman was on her knees. Leering at them, as she used artificial cat-claws to scrape away their clothing with sadistic slowness.

* * * * *

GOTHAM CITY
(JUNE, 1968)

When Robin tried to use his Bat-talkie, to contact his masked mentor about King Tut's strange disappearance, all he got was static. So, with no other choice in the matter, he had to ask Batgirl to accompany him back down the mine shaft.

His worst fears were confirmed when he found the two male Tutlings still present-yet-unconscious...and the Batmobile missing. Nor did Batgirl fail to note the Batcave's proximity to Wayne Manor.

"Does this mean what I think it does?" she asked the Boy Wonder.

He nodded: "Yes. And, for once, I have no flippant pseudo-puns to alleviate my tension. That's how seriously I regard this development!"

"I assure you, Robin. You can count on me to keep your secret."

"Thank you. But, I need you to help me brainstorm. Assuming that Florence of Arabia somehow over-powered Batman, where would she have taken him?"

"Well, King Tut isn't exactly famous for picking Nobel Laureates as his paramours. So, she probably drove the Batmobile straight back to their hide-out."

"Holy Boomerang! Of course! And, considering his modus operandi, it would have to be something with a Near Eastern motif that's also not accessible to the public."

Robin immediately started going through the Batcave's microfilmed copy of the Gotham City Yellow Pages. They finally achieved success upon reaching the D's. More specifically; "Dancing, Eastern Abdominal."

"Holy Blatancy! You were right. An ad for belly-dance lessons by Florence of Arabia."

"And, this address puts her on the Eastside of Gotham," added Batgirl.

"Then, we'd better get going. Although, I'm afraid we'll have to use your Bat-cycle. Does it have a sidecar?"

The Distaff Do-gooder smiled and nodded. Whereupon, the two ran back out the way the way they had come in.

* * * * *

SOMEWHERE IN THE SOUTH PACIFIC

"Oh, Sinbad, my little love! Isn't this a romantic spot to plight our troth?"

The shrunken seafarer could not answer her, as he was too busy trying to extricate his face from where she was pressing it up against her navel. Thus, he did not see the arrival of the four assorted cast-aways who came running down the beach toward him and Rumina.

"See, Skipper? Professor? Mary-Ann? It's just like I told you. A beautiful genie with _dark_ brown hair!"

tbc?