- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
GOTHAM CITY
(JUNE 1968)
While Robin, Batgirl, Catwoman and Tiny Tony slumbered in sexual exhaustion, the even-smaller Jim West and Artemus Gordon examined the Boy Wonder's utility belt. Looking for anything that could get them out of the over-crowded birdcage and down to the floor of this so-called dancing school.

"Hey, Artie! Look at this. Doesn't this resemble those 'putty bombs' you used to make out of modeling clay and blasting gelatin?"

Artie (ever the pyrotechnician) fingered, then sniffed, the pinkish-gray material.

"Why, so it does! And, if this stuff is similarly TNT-based, there should be some kind of ignition device next to it."

A few moments later, Jim removed a cylinder that appeared to be made of nickel-plated iron. And, yet (even at one-sixth of an inch tall), it was light enough for him to drag almost single-handedly!

"James, my boy? I believe you've struck paydirt. This is not only the same size of one of my fulminated mercury sparklers. I'll bet that bubble is mercury fulminate, itself."

He pointed toward the middle of a liquid-filled glass tube (similar to a carpenter's level).

"And, this olive-green glass plate with the quartet of black zeros? I'll bet that's a 20th-century timer. Electrically powered, and adjustable (using these buttons above it) for delayed-action detonations."

"Could be, Artie. The question is; how can we apply it to our escape?"

"Well, why don't we start by grabbing up handfuls of this putty explosive, and gradually applying it to the cage door? Enough of it, at least, to stick this ignition device to it."

Jim grinned: "And, then, we can figure out a way to stick it to that giantess in the next room."

* * * * *

MEANWHILE, IN WASHINGTON, D.C.

The time had finally come.

Doug was now wearing a white leotard similar to Ann's. Although, he had to admit; she looked more fetching in hers!

The giant orderly with the gray cart had come back for them at T minus fifteen minutes. Ten minutes later, he wheeled them into the mostly white chamber where Ann had been bio-miniaturized earlier.

"Elevate Zero Module," ordered General Carter.

"Elevate Zero Module," repeated the technician.

Once again, the only black square in the chamber's floor revealed itself to be a telescoping platform. On top of which the orderly now transferred Doug and Ann with the utmost care and gentleness. Once this had been accomplished, he left the chamber, wheeling the cart before him.

"Three minutes to re-enlargement," came the public announcement.

Ann placed both arms around Doug's neck.

"You'd better stand as close to me as possible."

Doug smilingly complied; wrapping his arms around her waist as he did so.

"Two minutes to re-enlargement," came the public announcement.

"Ann?" said Doug: "I've been thinking of asking you something during my...time away. And, I promised myself I'd ask it the moment I got back."

"One minute to re-enlargement," came the public announcement.

"Whether or not this works: Ann, will you marry me?"

"Thirty seconds to re-enlargement," came the public announcement.

Ann smilingly replied with a full-fledged lip lock. Proving once again that some actions definitely speak louder than words!

"Ten; nine; eight; seven; six; five; four; three; two; ONE!"

For the first few seconds, there appeared to be nothing. Then, those in the control room noticed it. Both visually and telemetrically.

"Subjects beginning to re-enlarge!" exclaimed the technician: "Seven-inch mark. Eight inches. Nine."

Upon passing the one-foot mark, General Carter ordered the Zero Module lowered back into the floor. And, not a moment too soon. For the speed of Doug and Ann's re-enlargement doubled almost immediately!"

"Passing the two-foot mark. Three feet. Four!"

Upon reaching their previous normal heights, the re-enlargement stopped. The technician's annoucement of same sparking a round of enthusiastic cheers and applause from everyone else.

Everyone, that is, save Doug and Ann. ;-)

tbc