- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
ABOARD USNS SEAVIEW (1978)
* * * * *

"This was originally given to a scientist named Savage, for safe-keeping," explained Admiral Nelson to his guests in the privacy of the officers' mess. Tapping the photograph of the Black Obelisk with his left index finger to emphasize the reference.

"And, he kept it safe for ten years," he continued: "That is; till he was told by the Green Lama (an old acquaintance from the Second World War) that there was danger of its being stolen by someone. 'A woman whose beauty is as extraordinary as her mystical abilities,' was the phrase he used. So, Dr. Savage transferred the obelisk to our custody. Along with a letter (co-signed by the President of the United States) ordering us to nuke it!"

And, five minutes after dinner was finished, Admiral Nelson ordered the launching of the nuclear missile in question. Turning what was once jokingly referred to as "Gilligan's Island" into a barren atoll topped by a fiery orange mushroom cloud.

* * * * *

GOTHAM CITY
(10 YEARS EARLIER)

"Now, for you gentlemen," said Batman to Jim West and Artemus Gordon.

Whereupon, he wished them back to the exact time and place, in the 19th century, that they had come from. Minus any memories of the future, of course. Lest the two Secret Service Agents inadvertently change history, in some way.

Needless to say, Jim and Artie were at a loss to explain how they had gotten from the outskirts of Smallville, Kansas, to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. And, at the height of the Centennial Independence Day celebration, no less!

* * * * *

GROOM LAKE, NEVADA (1978)

Rumina dropped to her knees, a wave of dizziness making her touch her forehead with her right hand. Sinbad the Shrunken Sailor, still clutched in her left hand, looked at her in genuine concern.

"Rumina? What is it? What's wrong?"

"My connection to the Black Obelisk. Something's broken it. As if it were destroyed by some...indescribable force!"

Whereupon, the strange twosome found themselves back in eighth-century Basra! More specifically? In the main torture chamber near Sultan Omar's underground dungeons.

"Sinbad!" exclaimed Maeve, initially in immense joy and relief. Then, she did a double-take and rephrased herself.

"Sinbad???"

"What is the meaning of this?" bellowed Omar the Bloody.

"This is Rumina, Your Majesty!" Sinbad hurriedly exclaimed (shouting at the top of his little lungs): "The sorceress who masqueraded as me in order to steal the obelisk. While discrediting me at the same time!"

"Guards! Seize her!"

But, once again, Rumina escaped justice. This time, with the help of her djinn-cat, Cicero! The latter had just returned (he knew not how) from 19th-century Kansas. And, sensing that Rumina was unable to do so herself, he teleported her away.

Taking Little Sinbad with them.

* * * * *

GOTHAM CITY
(10 YEARS EARLIER)

"And, now, for you, young lady."

Batman turned to Florence of Arabia who had now dropped to her knees, still crying quite bitterly. The Caped Crusader muttered something under his breath. Following which...

...he and Florence disappeared!

"Holy Plot-twist!" shouted the Boy Wonder: "What happened? Where did they go?"

These sentiments were echoed by Florence of Arabia, when she found herself sitting on a queen-sized bed. With a re-miniaturized Caped Crusader massaging the soles of her feet...using his half-naked body!

"Batgirl and Robin may have briefly restored me to normal size, My Mistress. But, they did not wish the undoing of the spell that binds me in undying loyalty to you! So, I pretended to be of free will, in order to lay hands on the obelisk and whisk us away to freedom. We are presently in a honeymoon suite once occupied by Bruce Wayne's parents...in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil."

Florence slowly began to smile, as she wiped the tears from her eyes.

"And, that black crystal thingie?" she asked.

"I wished that into the custody of a former teacher of mine," said Batman: "Dr. Clark Savage. With pre-planted false memories of my having it given to him, face to face."

"So, to make a long story short," replied Florence: "You're still..."

"...your faithful little love-slave, My Mistress!"

Needless to say, she happily helped him with his foot-massage. By pinning him between her feet, and rubbing them back and forth around both sides of his waist!

* * * * *

METROPOLIS (2008)

"That looks like black gem kryptonite," said young Clark Kent, as he gazed at the image in Zatanna the Magician's crystal ball.

"Maybe that's what you call it," replied the Maid of Magic: "For centuries, though, it was more infamous as the Black Obelisk of Ramses. And, it was supposed to have been destroyed, thirty years ago!"

"Supposed to have been?" Clark echoed, in mounting uneasiness.

The beautiful stage-mage nodded: "Apparently, it was recovered by these guys."

The image shimmered and shifted. Slowly dissolving to show a bald-headed man, with a well-trimmed moustache, dressed all in white. With a much taller man (white beard; green helmet; purple shirt; black boots and jodhpurs) standing beside him.

"Meet Frederick 'Egghead' Lorne. And, Mordru of Avalon."

THE END?