- Text Size +
THE BATCAVE
(JUNE 1968)

* * * * *

"King Tut" had not always been a costumed criminal. He had once been more renowned as William "Omaha" Mackelroy! Archeological adventurer-turned-respectable history professor at Gotham State University.

Then, one day, he suffered a traumatic head injury. One which left him with the delusion that he was the literal reincarnation of Tutankhamun. Along with an obsession to make Gotham City the seat of a New Egyptian Empire.

Oh, there were periods when he seemed to regain his sanity! Thereby renewing everyone's hopes that the recovery would be permanent. Only for those hopes to be dashed when he relapsed, and started perpetrating more evil-doings for the Dynamic Duo to thwart.

His latest scheme had involved a rare mineral called "nilanium." A vein of which certain geological maps had shown to be located beneath...stately Wayne Manor!

With the help of an ex-counterfeiter called the Mole* (from his former specialty of tunneling into banks and swapping their genuine cash for his "funny money"), King Tut and his royal minions unwittingly penetrated the Batcave. Thereby learning Batman and Robin's true identities!

A brief-yet-violent altercation ensued between the Tutlings and the Caped Crusaders. The male minions were knocked out with Bat-gas, thereby rendering them vulnerable to post-hypnotically induced amnesia. As King Tut, himself, had escaped back up the drilled tunnel, Batman and Robin decided to divide and conquer. The Boy Wonder would pursue the faux-Pharoah, while the Dark Knight would personally subjugate the defiant Florence of Arabia.

Unfortunately, for him, he was toppled to the ground by a stranger who literally appeared out of thin air! Providing a distraction that Florence used to her advantage. By doing to Batman what he had been about to do to her!!

"Gonna brainwash me, huh? Well, let's see how you like it! Can you hear me, Batman?"

"Yes," he whispered drowsily: "I...hear you."

"Good! When I count to three, you'll open your eyes. But, you won't be awake. You'll still be sound asleep. In fact, you'll be in a _permanent_ hypnotic trance! Obeying only me. Doing whatever I tell you to do, without question or hesitation. Understand?"

"Yes. I...understand."

"Then, 1--2--3. Open your eyes!"

Batman did so.

"Now, stand up."

Batman did so.

"Now, tell me a little bit about these trophies I see over here."

She pointed to the ones marked "Schmidlap Dehyration Ray" and "Mad Hatter Shrinking Solution."

* * * * *

MCELROY POINT CAVERNS
(TWO YEARS EARLIER)

Catwoman could not believe her ears.

"You can't be Omaha Mackelroy!" she exclaimed: "He's..."

Before she could utter the words "fat madman," she suddenly felt a pinprick on the back of her neck. While her rescuer was felled by someone employing the French art of la savate!

"Good work, Daddy Longlegs!" exclaimed an older, decidely female voice: "You drag him to our lair. And, Tarantula? You pick her up in a fireman's carry."

Catwoman did not see or hear anything else after that. Not until she woke up in what appeared to be a hospital room. Although, no hospital room she knew of would permit anyone to smoke within it. Not even if the cigarette in question was in an old-fashioned holder!


Like the one being used by the person sitting at the foot of Catwoman's bed.

"Hello, dahling! Welcome to the Bestiary. A secret sanctuary where fugitives with animal-themed aliases can hide out from the law for a--variably--modest fee. My name is Sombra Odette. Better known to some as...the Black Widow."

tbc
Chapter End Notes:
*The Mole: a villain from the DICK TRACY comic strip and 1950's TV series.