- Text Size +

 

Sarah looked at the digital screen on Lisa’s phone. It read, “Call Lost”. Sarah sighed and rolled back into bed, pulling the heavy comforters over her face to shield her from the morning light. She wasn’t hung over. She was more perturbed that Joseph had woken her up so early.

“What could possibly be so important?” She muttered to herself.

Finally gathering the energy to get out of bed, she threw the comforters off of her. They came scattering down in a messy pile.

“And what the hell is he still doing here?” Sarah gritted her teeth angrily at the thought. She remembered seeing himself last night, sloshed. She took a moment to think over the events of the party. She remembered Joseph and Rachel had been very flirtatious with one another. At one point, she caught them making out in the bathroom.

Sarah’s eyes became slants.

“Ugh…”, she moaned in silent loathing.

Wearing nothing but her pajamas, Sarah walked downstairs, half expecting to see Joseph lying on the floor with Rachel curled up next to him in a groggy heap.

She was surprised to find Rachel snoring thunderously on the couch, all alone. Joseph was no where to be found.

“What the…?”, she mused to herself.

“Hey!” Came a voice from the kitchen, “good morning’!”

It was Lisa. She was sitting at the table with a bowl of Captain Crunch in front of her. Sarah smiled upon seeing her. She ambled into the kitchen and opened the cupboards, grabbing the first bowl and spoon she saw.

“You’re up early!” Lisa said to Sarah as she took a seat across from her.

“Yeah, well, I got a rude wake up call.”

“From who?” Lisa said, milk dribbling off of her chin.

“Jo, oddly enough.” Sarah poured herself a bowl of cereal and milk.

Lisa chewed slower, her eyes questioning Sarah. “Really?”

“Yeah. I couldn’t really tell what he was saying though. His phone lost connection. I thought he said he was still here.” Sarah took a bit of cereal, wwistfully contemplative. She finished it and said, "He called your phone."

“That’s weird. Why’d he call me?”

“I have no idea.” Sarah shrugged dismissively, “And I don’t really care.”

Lisa curled her lip up in mock distress. “Awww… Look, I know he was kind of ignoring you last night. Don’t take it personal.”

Sarah glared into the other room at Rachel. She was still snoring loudly and very unattractively. Turning back to Lisa, Sarah looked at her as if she was peering over a pair of glasses she didn’t have on, “Kind of ignoring me? Did you see those two last night?”

“Who?” Lisa unintentionaly spewed cereal crumbs from her mouth. The projectiles narrowly missed landing in Sarah’s bowl, “Jo and skanky Miz Swagger over there? Yeah. I did. Pretty ridiculous.”

“Yeah, tell me about it.”

“Well, you know, they did have that thing back about a year ago. Maybe she still likes him.”

“Maybe he still likes her.”

Lisa frowned, this time she was serious. She swallowed what was in her mouth and put down her spoon. “Listen, Jo was super tanked last night. Not saying he’s not an ass for what happened. But it’s not like you’ve really been going out of your way to give him much attention. You won’t even let him take you out on a date.”

Sarah just breathed deeply and stared out the window. “I know. I just don’t want… I don’t want to be hung up. Ya know?”

“I know what you mean.” Lisa went back to eating, shaking her spoon at Sarah jokingly, “but who said he wants anything serious?”

Sarah looked back at her friend, “You know as well as I do that nothing between me and Jo could be anything but serious.”

Lisa merely nodded and replied, “You guys are both stupid, in my opinion.”

Sarah finished her breakfast and helped Lisa clean up a bit around the house. None of the other girls in the house began to wake up until late in the afternoon. It was a Saturday, after all. No one had anything to do during the day except get ready for another night out.

Around 10:30, Lisa got another phone call. This time it was from one of Joseph’s friends.

“Tyler? What the hell does he want?” Lisa said, reading the name on her phone before answering, “Hello?”

“Hey,” came a nasally voice on the other end of the phone, “what’s up Lisa?”

“Not much, mothball, you?”

“Oh… Um… Yeah, anyway! Is Jo around?”

“No… why?”

“Well, he didn’t come back to the dorms last night and we were gonna study together.”

“Awwww, that’s cute.”

“Have you seen him around?”

Lisa stopped for a moment, “No, actually. I don’t know where he went after last night.”

“Oh… that’s weird. He never bails on me.”

“Well, maybe he just had better things, or people, to do.”

“Well, if you hear from him, let him know I’m lookin’ for ‘em!”

“Alright, will do, boy.”

“Thankyou, Lisa. Bye!”

Lisa hung up the phone. Sarah came out of the bathroom. She’d listen to the tail end of her conversation.

“Who was that?”

Lisa looked at her a little concerned, “It was mothball.” Sarah glared at her a bit, “I mean, Tyler.”

“What’d he want?”

“He was looking for Jo. Apparently he didn’t come back last night.”

Sarah looked concerned now as well. “I hope everything’s alright with him.”

That’s when Rachel sat up suddenly, snorting a bit as she started out of her sleep. “Wha-? Oh… Hey!” She half-screamed, half-grunted.

Lisa and Sarah came running into the living room where Rachel was sitting up on the couch, rubbing her head. Her hair was a tangled mess and she was still wearing her skimpy outfit from the night before.

Lisa crossed her arms, “Have a good night’s sleep, cutey pie?” She mused sarcastically.

Rachel looked up at them with weary, bloodshot eyes. “Dear God! How much did I have last night?”

“Welllllll, let’s just say you had ‘a lot‘” Lisa replied.

Sarah didn’t say a word as she walked back out of the living room.

“I’m glad you woke up, I could use some help cleaning the house.” Lisa said, walking out of the living room, back into the kitchen.

“Fuck you.” Was all Rachel said as she lay back on the couch, pulling the blankets over her head. “I feel like shit.”

“Speaking of which,” Lisa said, “You wouldn’t happen to know where Joseph went last night, would you?”

Rachel was silent from underneath her tent of blankets. She pulled the covers back, looking indignantly at Lisa, “The hell is that s’pose to mean?”

Lisa shrugged, “I don’t know. I’m just assuming you were probably the last person to see him before he left. Tyler’s looking for him.”

Rachel covered her face with the blanket again. A loud sigh could be heard coming from underneath the covers. Lisa giggled to herself and went into the other room.

Rachel was silent for a few moments, then the blankets suddenly blew off the couch. Rachel’s eyes were wide eyed, as if she’d suddenly remembered something she’d forgot. Her eyes darted around the room as her thoughts raced.

“Where… Where… Where…” She mused to herself. Her eyes came to rest on the floor.

Getting on her hands and knees, she stuck her head to the floor, frantically searching underneath the couch. The sudden rush of blood to her aching head made her want to cry. She cringed and closed her eyes, waiting for the pain to subside. When it did, she opened them.

There was nothing underneath the couch.

Moving on, she searched the all around: underneath the coffee table, on the coffee table, her pockets, her purse, around the TV. Nothing. She couldn’t find what she was looking for.

“Ahem.” Came a voice from the kitchen. Looking up, Rachel saw Lisa standing in the doorway, staring at her confused.

“What?” Was all Rachel said, getting to her knees.

“Did you lose something?” Lisa asked. Sarah peeked over her shoulder to see Rachel on her hands in knees in the living room.

“Uh…”Rachel stuttered, “Yeah… Uh, I had a bracelet on last night. Uh… I don’t know where I put it.”

Lisa didn’t say anything, but turned around and went back to what she was doing.

Rachel got up off the ground and stood in the center of the living room for a few minutes, a hand on her forehead. She tried hard to remember anything from last night, but the memories were all disconnected and foggy at best.

Rachel calmed down and noticed for the first time that she didn’t smell very good. “Did I puke on myself? Or did someone puke on me?”

Disgusted, she headed off for the upstairs shower. Before she did, however, she leaned into the kitchen and asked Lisa one question, “Who was looking for Joseph?”