- Text Size +

I got off of her foot and told Amanda it was proabably time for dinner. She shrank back down to normal and we walked into the house. Dinner went by fast and we said goodnight to our parents and walked back out to the shed. Amanda looked down at me and she didn't seem to be too happy, I wondered why. She seemed happy a mintue ago. She walked over to her bed without saying anything. She lied down with one leg hanging off the bed. I was a little confused by her sudden change of behavior so I walked over to her bed.

 

"Hey are you ok?" I shouted up to her. She didn't say anything. I was a little worried about her but there was no way for me to get up and talk to her, and I know she heard me beacuse her hearing was really good. I thought about what to do. I decided that I would go up to where I slept and jump down to her. I ran up the stairs and went toward the edge. It wasnt a very far drop to her bed and I was getting used to falling and found that it was actually pretty fun. She was lying there staring up at the ceiling. She noticed me fall and hit her pillow. She turned her head away from me. "Come on I just want to know whats wrong." I said. When she didn't answer I walked around her head so that I could see her face.

 

She looked at me and asked, "What?"

 

"Whats wrong? Did John say something to you?" I asked. She was still unwilling to talk, but after a little bit she realised that I wasn't going anywhere until she told me what I wanted to know.

 

"Well not really." She said.

 

"Not really?" I asked.

 

She sighed and said, "Yeah, he didn't mean anything by it, He just asked why I didn't want to go to school here."

 

"But I asked you that before and you didn't get upset." I remined her.

 

"True, but that was because it was you. When he asked it reminded me that people see me different. I hadn't really thought of that in a while because I haven't gone out since we got here." She explained.

 

"What about when I brought John here? You didn't get upset." I said.

 

"I got mad at you a little but he was really nice to me so I didn't mind him, plus he reminded me that not everyone is bad." She said.

 

 "Well don't get upset you aren't different to me." I said.

 

"Thanks, but I just got reminded of how people have treated me in the past, like an outcast. You remember that kid who kept calling me a freak back at our old school?"

 

"Yeah I beat him up for that."

 

"Well people like that aren't the ones who bother me the most, It's the ones who would just ignore me and talk behind my back." She said.

 

"Oh, I think I see what you mean." I said.

 

"No, you don't." She said getting a little angry. She sat up brought her knees close to her and put me on top of her knee. "You can't possibly know how it feels to be like me, no one can. There is no one like me..."

 

I didn't know what to say to her. She was right there wans't anyone like her and I didn't know how she really felt, but I couldn't say that to her. I gave her a sad look and she said, "Don't worry about it. I'll be fine." She picked me up and put me back on the night table by my bed. Amanda lied back down and said goodnight to me.

 

"Hey, you aren't gonna make me rub your feet?" I asked.

 

"Sorry, not tonight, I'm tired. Don't worry though you can do it tommorow, I know how much fun you have rubbing my feet." She said as she closed her eyes.

 

"Alright then goodnight." I said. I lied down on my bed and thought about what she said today. My first thought was that I was a bit dissapointed that I didn't get to rub her feet. I didn't mind doing it for her, she liked it and I did a little too. My second thought was feeling bad for Amanda. She was right that I didn't know how she felt and I probably never would. I wished that I could help her, or at least know the feeling so I could empathize with her. As I thought this I got a bit of a heache and my stomach started to bother me a bit. I didn't concern it as I thought I was just tired. So I just closed my eyes and fell asleep.