- Text Size +

If the process for boarding was slow, the process for disembarking was even slower. The flight out just required everyone to be shrunken en masse to the same size. Getting off the plane, however, required queuing up in long lines to get re-enlarged one at a time. It was fairly efficient, with six stations going at once and groups lined up by alphabet according to their original height so the re-enlargement chambers only had to be re-calibrated a few times each. 

Cameron hated the long lines to get out of the terminal. He hated lines anywhere for that matter, whether it was the airport of at the bank on a Friday at 4:30. It was the only part of flying Dimension that he didn't enjoy. 

He waited with Kate near the bulkhead doors, ready to sprint towards the enlargement area as quickly as possible in order to get at the front of the line. 

"So what letters are we?" he asked Kate as she pulled out their tickets from her purse. 

"You're C..." she said as she passed him the stub with a large letter 'C' on the end. 

"Yes! First round!" he was already crouching slightly ready to sprint the second the door opened. "What about you?" 

"I'm K." she said holding her stub up with a frown, her thumb covering part of the information on the ticket. 

"Well... K is the 11th letter, so you'll be second round," he said slightly disappointed, but working out a plan. "Why don't you give me the luggage and I'll get that restored while you're waiting to go through?" 

She handed him the key ring with their luggage and bikes and smiled. "You sure that's okay?" 

"Just make sure you get to the front of your line. I want to get to the beach before sunset!" he put the luggage into his pocket just as the loud mechanical machinery started up, lifting the door open. 

"I'll see you at the baggage reclaim station," she waved as he ducked under the still opening door. 

"See you in a few!" Cameron ran towards the gateway clearly marked with a large letter 'C' and was first in line. If he had been in a little bit less of a hurry, he might have taken notice of the large number of women and young teens lining up behind him. He might also have noticed the mischievous grin on his girlfriend's face. 

He was first in line and happy as anything. The attendant motioned him forward through the dark curtain into a large circular chamber. Not quite as large as the one he was reduced in, but a good-sized room at the moment. He stepped forward and stood on top of the set of yellow footprints painted on the floor at the center of the room. A low humming sound started up and he felt a heaviness begin to form in his gut. The walls of the chamber slowly closed in on him, causing a slight claustrophobic feeling that he never got used to. But before the walls were anywhere near crushing him, a short electronic chime sounded and a pleasant, but obviously computer-generated female voice announced to "Please step through the doorway in front of you and thank you for flying Dimension Airlines. The baggage reclaim center will be immediately to your left." 

As he stepped forward to the doorway, he looked down at the tiny set of footprints on the floor. Pushing his way through another black curtain, he emerged back into full-sized world. Looking to his left he noticed that the line for luggage re-enlargement was already forming, but still very short, so he made a bee-line for the counter, pulling the key ring out of his pocket. 

He carefully removed all of the items from the ring. To his dismay, there was only one employee with a nametag that said simply "Roy", working the re-enlargement conveyor, and the giant oaf was moving incredibly slow. 

"Please place your items on the belt and move to the reclaim area" the employee said with little enthusiasm. The first and second travelers in line did so without a hitch. The items moved into a large metal chamber, there was a flash of lightning, and their full-sized luggage emerged on a conveyor on the other side. 

The third customer however, had some issues. She was a heavyset lady, fairly tall, and approaching elderly status. "Sir, I need some help here," she said feebly as she lifted a large metal hoop that had the handles to her luggage attached to it. "How do I get these off?" she asked. 

"Moron..." Cameron muttered to himself quietly. A few other passengers behind him sighed and groaned in anger and frustration as well. 

"Ma'am, you're supposed to remove the luggage from the ring before you place it on the conveyor," the Neanderthal employee said as he struggled with sliding the handles of the luggage around the foot wide thick hoop. As much as he struggled with the ring, he couldn't make much progress in getting it off. 

"Please, everyone, remove your items from the conveyor. I'm going to have to reverse for a moment," he said as he hit a button and the belt changed direction, with the same lightning within the box, and the now tiny luggage re-emerging on the other side. Roy gently removed the items from the ring, and handed it back to her. A moment and a flash later, the woman had her luggage sans giant metal hoop. 

Cameron put his items back on the conveyor and moved to the other side. One by one, his backpack, the two bikes, and 4 bags of luggage emerged from the other side. He removed them and set them to the side, grunting a bit with a couple of Kate's bags. "How much did she pack for this trip?" 

He leaned against his bike and noticed that the seat was a little higher than normal. He knelt down to examine adjustment and sure enough it was marked correctly. He looked at the bike again, holding it straight up, and measuring it against his body. "That's odd," he said putting his hand on top of the seat and moving it in a straight line horizontally to the middle of his chest. The seat normally rested at his abdomen. 

Worried, he quickly unzipped one of his own bags and pulled out a white T-shirt and held it up to his chest. It seemed a little large. It was hard to tell. He pulled off his own polo and quickly put the shirt on over his head. 

Yep, definitely baggy, he thought to himself, noticing that it hung lower and that the sleeves were not as tight as usual. He grabbed his bag, and while keeping a watchful eye on the rest of his and Kate's stuff, moved the ten feet back over to the luggage conveyor. 

"Excuse me..." he said to Roy. "I think my baggage got enlarged too much." 

Roy looked down on him for a moment and then back to the conveyor, smirking in a condescending manner. "No. We set the machines on a standard setting. Your luggage came out the right size." 

Cameron was incensed at being dismissed like a child. "Look, my bike is too big, and my shirt is too big..." he said motioning towards the T-shirt he was wearing. "The luggage came out too big. I know what I'm talking about." 

"No you don't. We set a standard size for all luggage. It was restored to the right size. Maybe you're the one that didn't get restored to the right size?" 

"What do you mean I'm the wrong size... I'm..." That's when it dawned on him. "Oh God..." He looked around, noticing for the first time that everything seemed off slightly. He pulled out the ticket from his pocket and saw the name on it printed near the giant 'C'. He looked back up and at all of the people around him, most of whom were taller. Even most of the women. Especially one that he recognized coming towards him. The same one that had her name printed on the ticket that he held in his hand. Kathryn Johnson. 

"Please don't be mad at me, Honey," Kate said, as she bent slightly to kiss him on the forehead.