- Text Size +
* * * * *

"I already have the means to destroy her," I did finally deign to reply: "A blest arrowhead! But, I had counted upon firing it into Ovaria from atop the shoulders of either Skogul or Svyatogor. And, obviously, both are now her captives!"

Lin Kuei did nod in understanding: "Plus, there is a veritable labyrinth beneath the Brazen Hive's entrance hall. So, were we to try and traverse it on foot, we would become lost in its myriad twists and turns, all too easily."

Once more, I did frown with suspicion.

"How come you to know that?" I demanded.

And, he did grin with mischievous delight: "Suffice it to say that this is not my _first_ visit to this parallel-realm."

Then, he grew serious anew, as he added how we would need proper guidance to find Ovaria's personal bedchamber within the aforementioned labyrinth. Plus, a suitable means of transport with which to follow said guide. When I asked him (with wry bemusement) if he knew where we could possibly find either one, at that exact moment, his grin did broaden.

Whereupon, he did withdraw from the right pocket of his grayish-colored jacket what I first took to be a hooded kestrel. That is; till I saw it enlarge into a brown-and-white breasted honey buzzard!

When I had recovered my wits enough, to reunite lower jaw with upper, Lin Kuei did place the small bird-of-prey upon my left sleeve. The better so he could unfurl the strange fabric occupying most of his walking staff's center. A fabric of mixed hues (copper, cream, and black).

"Behold!" he exclaimed: "A Persian horsehair rug like no other. For, it was woven together from the mane and tail hairs...of a flying horse!!"

Naturally, my first thought was to doubt such a claim. Even though the dominantly black center of the rug was, indeed, offset by the cream-colored silhouette of a winged horse.

Lin Kuei, however, paid no heed to my doubt-laden visage. He merely sat down, to the right of the image. His legs seeming to fold up into the semblance of an Arabic numeral eight. And, with his staff laid across his lap.

He then bade me to do likewise. Although, to the left of the image. When I had done so, he bade me to un-hood the honey buzzard. Following which, I was to utter the Latin word for "seek." And, upon carrying out those instructions, the small bird-of-prey flew off...in the direction of the Brazen Hive.

Whereupon, Lin Kuei did utter the Latin word for "follow." And, the rug did, indeed, start to fly in pursuit of the honey buzzard!

This gave me to sense that the final confrontation was soon to begin. It would not be easy, however. Oh, yes; we gained the entrance hall, easily enough. Both the honey buzzard and ourselves taking the minimal number of sentries by surprise. But, no sooner had we borne to the right (the carpet still following the bird-of-prey) than horns of alarm did start to blow!

Both long and loudly.

tbc