- Text Size +

Continued from the audio journal of Dr. Paul Ahearn, research scientist:

Nov. 17, 2011

It's official:  Jess has cleared seven feet tall today.  She's over by about a third of an inch.  She seems to be settling into the idea of how big she's getting.  I'm still awestruck by her size and beauty.

Thanksgiving is a week away.  This will be our first Thanksgiving as a couple.  With Jess' increasing appetite, I'm hoping there will be enough for me to eat.

Nov. 19, 2011

Jess went grocery shopping today for later in the week and bought two turkeys.  I was surprised, to say the least.  She explained that she will have the oven and an electric roaster in use, and that her family is coming over.  She invited my mom and sister as well.  I extended the invitation to them and they accepted.  Neither of them has ever met Jess.  I warned them how tall she was, based on how tall she'll probably be on Thursday.  Her growth rate is now about seven-eighths of an inch per day, and climbing fast.

What Jess has done to explain her condition to her family she hasn't said.

Nov. 24, 2011

Well, we survived Thanksgiving dinner.  It was an adventure, mainly because of Jess' family.

To start with, Jess it about seven feet, six-and-a-half inches tall today.  Everyone was a bit freaked out by just how tall she was, but especially her side.  She had explained to them what her condition was and how she got that way ahead of time, but they still weren't ready for it.

My mom and sister weren't especially phased by Jess' height.  I suspect that was because they had never seen her before the growing started.  Mom's eyes got wide when she first saw her, but she smiled and otherwise had a good time.  My sister, Lisa, leaned over to me at one point and said, "You told us she was tall.  You didn't tell us how hot she is.  Nice going, bro!"

Jess' mom made a bit of a scene when she tried to get Jess to cut down on how much she ate during the meal.  Granted, the chief reason we had a second turkey was so Jess could eat most of one, but the moment was uncomfortable.

After dinner came the real blow-up, when  Jess' dad started getting riled up over he condition.  Quickly, he was shouting, threatening to sue the lab.  Jess stayed calm at first, pointing out that the accident that exposed her to the Undertall Virus was her own fault, so suing the lab wouldn't do any good.  After he just kept getting more worked up, she calmly walked over, picked him up by his shirt callar ant told him to get a grip or she'd put him over her knee and spank him, since he was acting like a baby.  He was so stunned by the whole experience he stopped there.

After that, there was some undercurrent of tension, but things settled down.  Jess' family left soon after.  My mom and sis hung around a while longer to help with clean-up and get to know Jess a bit better.

While wasking out the electric roaster, Mom said, "Jessica, did I understand rightly that you're experiencing some sort of rapid growth?"

Jess sighed.  "I'm afraid so, Mrs. Ahearn," she said.  "I'm growing nearly an inch a day right now, and it's speeding up, not slowing down."

Mom looked up sympathetically, then reached up and patted Jess' upper arm.  "Well, for whatever its' worth, I've never seen Paul so happy.  I think he really loves you.  I hope that you stop growing soon -- if that's what you really want."

Jess looked down at Mom, smiling inquisitively.

Mom's smile broadened.  "You like being big and strong, don't you?  And Paul's comfortable with it, too, isn't he?"

"How could you tell?" Jess asked.

Mom shrugged.  "I know my son," she said.  "He's always liked strong, intelligent women, and you're both.  I suspect you were strong on the inside before you were on the outside, from what he's said about his feelings for you. "

Jess bent down and hugged Mom.  "Thank you," she said.

"Thank you for caring about my son," Mom said.  "Look, Jess, as long as you two are happy and able to make a workable life for yourselves, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.  Understand?"

Jess nodded.

"So just make yourselves happy, and take good care of my Paul."

Jess hugged Mom again, this time picking her up.  "Thank you, Mrs. Ahearn.  I can see where your son gets some of his wonderful personality."

"You're welcome, dear," Mom said.  "And, from what I've seen, it's OK with me if you call me Mom, or at least something other than Mrs. Ahearn."

Jess , beaming, pulled Mom back, still holding her aloft.  "You've got it, Mom," she said, kissing her on the cheek.

As they were leaving, Lisa said to me, "Lucky dog!"

Mom patted my hand.  "She's a keeper, dear," she said.  "With her … condition, there may be some bumps in your road ahead, but I can see what you see in her.  She's something special."

After rhey'd left, Jess collapsed onto the futon.  "Well, at least my folks liked you," she said.

I stood at the futon's end and rubbed her broad shoulders.  "They were just worrying about you, trying to say they care," I said.

"I know," Jess said.  "But it's not like I'm not thinking about this all the time.  I just don't know what to do next."

"Long-term, neither do I," I said.  "Short-term, I have a suggestion."  I leaned down and nibbled on her ear and neck.


Jess tipped her head back.  "Mmmm, I like this suggestion," she said.  'Do you mind if I act on it aggressively?"

"You heard my Mom," I said.  "I like strong women."

Jess stood up, picked me up around my abdomen and carried me on her hip back toward the bedroom.  "Do I qualify?" she asked.

"Definitely," I said, grinning at the thought of what was to come.