- Text Size +

From the audio journal of Dr. Paul Ahearn, research scientist:

My arms were on the courtroom table, being soaked with tears as my head rested on them.  Nothing else was really registering in the aftermath of Dr. Calder's statement to the court that Jessica had committed suicide.

On the one hand, the act seemed out of character for the Jess I knew.  On the other hand, if Jess were as cornered as she no doubt was and was facing a life as a lab rat, she might have seen it as the only way out, even with that high-functioning brain of hers.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and heard Ruby's voice whisper,  "Don't give up, Paul.  I think there's still hope."

I heard Judge Eugene say, "So, Dr. Calder, it is your contention that Dr. Egolf committed suicide overnight while in a custodial situation into which your organization placed her?"

"Merely as a temporary action until things were resolved, your --" Calder said.

"Is that your contention, Dr. Calder?" the judge asked.

"Yes, your honor; regrettably so," Calder said.

The judge looked off to the far left side of the courtroom.  For the first time since I arrived this morning, it registered that there was a man there I hadn't seen in the courtroom yesterday.  He wore a light blue blazer and khaki slacks.  That was at whom the judge was looking.

Judge Eugene turned back to Calder.  "And this just happened to occur when you had been instructed to Produce Dr. Egolf or take us to her," the judge said.

"Yes, your honor," Calder said.

"Convenient," the judge said.  "Very well, Dr. Calder; if Dr. Egolf is dead, produce the body."

"What?!"

"Produce the body, or take this court to it," the judge said.

Calder's eyes were darting back and forth.  "I … can't, your honor."

"Why not?" the judge asked.

"We … had it cremated for fear there might be an infectious viral agent," Calder said.

"Dr. Calder, you're lying," Judge Eugene said.  "I know what's involved in cremating a body, and I know all the crematoria in this area, and none of them would have been prepared to do an overnight cremation, and I seriously doubt that you could have pulled it off, even with CPR Labs' resources.  I find you to be in contempt of court.  Security, take Dr. calder into custody."

Calder's skinny lawyer stood up.  "I object, your honor," he said.

"Overruled," the judge said.  "There's a woman's life and freedom at stake here, and it appears to have already been compromised, if not terminated.  Her whereabouts and condition are of paramount concern, and it is apparent your client is willfully withholding information, if not flat out perjuring himself."

Eugene turned to the man in the light blue blazer.  "Dr. Calder, I don't believe you've met our county prosecuting attorney.  Carmine Winchester, this is is Dr. Michael Calder.  You've seen what evidence I could share with you this morning, and heard what was said here in court.  If such evidence were presented to you by law enforcement, what would be your response be?"

"I would most probably be filing a murder charge against Dr. Calder and anyone involved in kidnapping Dr. Egolf with murder."

"Murder?!" Calder blurted.

"According to your testimony, Dr. Egolf died as a result of your felony action against her in kidnapping her," Winchester said.  "That would make her death murder, even if she died at her own hand; there'd at least be a case.  Of course, I couldn't file the kidnapping charge; that's a separate federal case.  But the death happened in my jurisdiction, and I'd be filing the charge."

Eugene pursed his lips as he turned back to Calder.  "Now, in light of what you've just heard, Dr. Calder, I instruct you again:  Produce Dr. Egolf or her body in this courtroom."

Calder hung his head.  "I … can't, your honor," he said.

"And why can't you, Dr. Calder?" the judge asked.

There was a pause.  "Because we couldn't bring her into the courthouse," Calder said.

"And why not?" the judge asked.

Silence followed.

"Dr. Calder, where is Dr. Egolf?"  the judge asked.

Calder swallowed hard.  "In the former auto factory in the east industrial park in the town of Plaschke," he said.

"That's just north of here," Eugene said.  "Strange, isn't it, Doctor, that someone in need of medical and psychological care would be kept in a former factory and not a hospital?  Why are you keeping her there?"

Calder closed his eyes, his head down.  "Because she wouldn't fit in a traditional hospital," he said.

"So, what you're saying is that Mrs. Ahearn is, in fact, a giantess now?"

"Yes," Calder said quietly, his head still down.

"Security, contact the sheriff's department.  Dr Calder is going with us to Plaschke to free Mrs. Ahearn.  Ladies and gentlemen, everything in this court proceeding is now under seal.  That may not last long, but we need to do whatever we can to protect the Ahearns under these … unique circumstances.  This court is in recess, to reconvene at the auto plant in Plaschke as soon as we all can be assembled there -- and proceedings there will be under seal as well."  The judge looked at the court reporter.  "We'll need you to come as well, and bring a portable recorder to add into the record."

"Yes, your honor," the reporter said.

I looked at Calder and lost it.  "You bastard!" I yelled.  "You lied about Jess!  You were going to let us all think she was dead!  What were you going to do to her?  Huh?  And what did you plan to do with me?  Were you going to really kill us?  You son of a --"

"That's enough, Paul," Ruby said, putting  hand on my shoulder.

"He's going to get his.  Let's go get your wife."

The drive to Plaschke took only about 30 minutes, but it felt like hours.  I rode with Ruby in a caravan of vehicles, led by the sheriff's car with Dr. Calder in it.  The judge, court reporter, Calder's attorney and the county prosecutor were also traveling in our line of vehicles.

On arrival, I saw Calder in handcuffs.  "That's the entrance that'll get you to her the quickest," he said, gesturing with both hands.

I bolted for the doors, but heard the judge say, "Wait, Dr. Ahearn.  This is still a court hearing.  The rest of us should all enter at about the same time you do, for the sake of preserving any evidence.  Dr. Calder was banned from calling ahead, and he's been under guard the whole time."

I held up, anxious to see Jess and make sure she was OK.  One deputy turned on a video camera as we entered, and the court reporter turned on an audio recorder.

The loading bay doors were opened, revealing a sight I both welcomed and dreaded.  There was my beloved Jess, her clothes tattered and a burn mark where we had seen the Taser hit her in the video.  She was manacled to a hook in the wall.  The irons would have been enormous to anyone else, but were clearly too small on Jess; her wrists were bleeding.

I would have been silhouetted by sunlight from where Jess was, sitting on the floor, her arms raised due to the chains.

Judge Eugene turned red, his eyes bulging in rage.  "Get that poor woman loose!" he shouted.

I couldn't take it anymore.  I darted to my wife, shouting, "Jess!"

Jess' eyes widened with delight, and tears started to flow.  "PAUL!" she shouted.

I climbed up her leg and wrapped my arms around her neck.  We each showered the other in kisses.

While deputies arrested those who were working at the scene, one took a set of oversize keys and walked over to Jess.  He hesitated when he reached her, unsure how to reach the manacles.

Realizing the situation, Jess smiled at the deputy with the keys.  "Paul, I think this man is a little hesitant to climb up to set me free," she said.  "You're my husband.  Can you resolve his dilemma and get me loose?"

"Sure," I said, climbing down Jess legs to where the deputy stood.  He passed me the keys and I climbed up Jess' torso.  I had to stand on her shoulders to reach the manacles with the keys.

"Thanks," said Jess as I unlocked the first one.  "They were too small when they put me in them, and I've grown since then."

"Mrs. Ahearn, you should be aware that this is a session of the county's circuit court," Judge Eugene said.  "I am Judge Raul Eugene.  Are you familiar with the attorneys?"

"No, but I can guess," she said.  "The well-dressed woman is Ruby, my husband's attorney; the fellow in the light blue jacket is County Prosecutor Winchester; and that means the other fellow is probably CPR's attorney, or Dr. Calder's."

"Correct on all counts.  Do you need medical attention for your wrists, or any other injuries?"

"No," Jess said matter-of-factly.  "My body heals as fast as it's growing.  By tonight, the wrist wounds will be just scars, and those will be gone by tomorrow evening.  But I would like to stand up, if I'm allowed."

"Of course," said the judge.  "Ma'am, I'd like to have you sworn in so we can hear your testimony in this case."

"Yes, sir," Jess said.

Over the next hour, Jess told her story as she had experienced it.  She held no facts back, but stayed cool, calm and collected as she presented them.  Among the facts was her current height: 14 feet, 8.24 inches tall, as her active mind had calculated it.

When Jess was done, the prosecutor asked to be excused to confer with the sheriff's deputies on charges, and with federal authorities.

Before releasing the prosecutor, the judge said, "I remind all of you -- and inform you, Mrs. Ahearn -- that this case is under seal.  I am setting that seal until the Ahearns take this case public.  Doctors Ahearn, I'm afraid Mrs. Ahearn's condition and the nature of this case will guarantee that this will become a media circus.  I'm placing this seal strictly so you can have time to prepare.  You will be the ones to lift it.  That's an unusual move, but this is an extremely unusual case."

"Thank you, your honor," Jess said.  "I've already been working on how to address the media."

"So have I," I added.

The judge chuckled.  "From the evidence your husband presented, I'm not surprised that either of you is already at least somewhat prepared," he said.  "The seal stands -- but, Mr. Winchester, you can contact law enforcement about the case, being clear about that seal."

"Thank you, your honor," Winchester said.

"Ladies and gentlemen, let's conclude the hearing and head out of this room," Eugene said.  "I'm sure the Ahearns want some privacy."

As everyone else was leaving, I called out, "Ruby!"

She turned back toward us.  I realized her eyes were welling with tears.  "Yes?"

I climbed down and hugged her.  "Thank you," I said.

"What he said," added Jess.  "You literally saved my life."

"Glad to be of help," Ruby said.

As soon as Ruby was out, Jess scooped me up in her arms.  "Paul, you did it!" Jess said, grinning from ear to ear.

"We did it," I said.  We began to shower each other with kisses again.  Sorting out our media announcement would wait until later.  For now, to the extent that we could in this place, there was the pent-up passion of newlyweds forced apart that needed to be released.