- Text Size +

Transcribed from the audio journal of Dr. Paul Ahearn, research scientist:

I'm recording this on the morning of Feb. 8, 2012.  Jess hasn't awakened yet, and I'm going to surprise her with breakfast in bed.  The reason for the surprise is why I'm recording this now.

See, I figure I can turn the relevant parts of this journal over to a ghostwriter or screenwriter and sell it at a substantial income, in light of Jess' story.  And, while this morning will mark the last chapter of this saga, there's some stuff that needs to be told, too.

Jess and I handled the press situation with relative ease.  We actually had the press conference in the former factory where she had been held.  We had arranged to have Jess and I exit into the back of a box truck, one of several identical box trucks that left the facility all at once.  The media couldn't see the loading dock from which we exited.  We got out with no additional headaches.

Jess and I holed up for a few days in the same cabin in which we were married.  The minister who married us was allowed by us to describe the wedding, but was gracious enough to keep the secret of where we were.

We've since moved into a converted loft with 20-foot ceilings.  We're still dealing with the media, but it's also providing us with much needed income, since we don't have jobs at CPR anymore.

Actually, no one has jobs at CPR.  It's been shut down.  Drs. Penn and Richardson are offering Jess and I scads of money in a settlement, and Jess' celebrity is also generating income.  Sales of a poster of her in a bikini and its desktop wallpaper counterpart are bringing in tons of bucks already.

Our plans are to open a new lab that will deal with medical issues -- preferably not involving growth or weight loss issues.  We don't want anything more to do with the technology that brought this on Jess; there are no guarantees about what would happen to anyone else, or that it would go as well.

Jess' hands are too big to do lab work now, but her mind is so sharp she'll be an asset to the lab, both as a scientist and a businesswoman.  And me, I'll be in charge of the lab work.

We also have family plans, but those are contingent on the news I have for Jess this morning; in other words, they're not contingent anymore.

(electronic beeping sound)

That's the timer.  Breakfast is ready.  I'll take it back to Jess.  I'll restart this recording so Jess' reaction is recorded for posterity.

(Recording is shut off, then restarts.  Sound of footsteps, rustling of bed clothes.)

Good morning, sleepyhead.

Jess:  Paul.  Good morning.  Breakfast in bed?

Paul:  Yep.  Two dozen eggs scrambled  with cheese and spinach and a dozen pieces of toast -- a light breakfast for your mass, but enough to be a breakfast.

Jess:  Sounds wonderful.  Smells delicious.  What's the occasion?

Paul:  Simple.  It's what didn't happen last night.

Jess:  Hmm?

Paul:  You didn't grow last night.

Jess:  What?

Paul:  You didn't grow last night.  Remember, I'm awake when you doze off almost every night.  I've felt and seen you grow I don't know how many times.  But last night, you didn't grow.  Jess, you've stopped growing.

Jess:  You're sure?

Paul:  Yes, but I know you.  The scientist in you has to check for yourself.  Go do it, then  come back for your breakfast.

(Sound of footsteps running, followed by a delighted squeal and footsteps running back)

Jess:  It's true!  Paul, it's true!  I've stopped growing!  I've finally stopped growing!

Paul:  I love it when you scoop me up in your arms.

Jess: I love feeling your arms around my neck.  Paul, do you know what this means?  I can buy clothes now and have them fit for awhile, not just days.  I can live a more normal life.

(Sound of kissing)

Paul:  So, how tall are you now?

Jess:  Fifteen feet, 8.95 inches tall.

Paul:  You might as well say 15-foot-9.  Most people aren't going to worry about that 20th of an inch.

Jess:  (chuckling) Yeah, I know.

Paul:  You know what else this means?

Jess:  (another squeal)  I'm still small enough to have kids with you!

Paul:  Yep.

Jess:  Let me at that breakfast.  I'll need my energy for the work we have to do today -- and I don't mean lab work.

(Recording ends)